ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enough points but not enough earnings?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jimmyho
Newly Registered

Enough points but not enough earnings?

Post by jimmyho » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm

How does the point system work??

I am a bit worried about my earnings. A little unsure on my actual earnings as I have my own UK limited company, and only pay myself very little monthly, and also some dividends.

Lets assume worse case that I am earning £0 / year.

However, I still have enough points based on other criterias (degree/age/work exp). Would my app get approved based on this worse case scenario?

Also, where can I access the NARIC database to check if my master's degree is reconigsed?

Thanks heaps :)

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:08 pm

You dont have to claim points in all categories in order to apply for HSMP. In fact there are many out of country applicants who dont claim points for earnings because they dont make enough. You have make sure in that the categories in which you do claim points, you back it up with solid evidence so that the case worker has no room for any doubt.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:50 pm

jimmy- you have to pay NARIC to check their database for you and issue a recommendation. Where is your masters from? And is it in the same subject as your bachelors?

jimmyho
Newly Registered

Post by jimmyho » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:42 pm

i studied in University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia.

Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) 1st class honour
Master of Commerce (Finance)

both at the same uni.

so do I HAVE to pay NARIC to verify my degrees? or I just have to submit my HSMP app and they would do it internally??

Thanks for your help.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:54 pm

you dont HAVE to- but a word of caution- I thought I was fine because I have a masters in the US- but my undergrad was in a different subject for which it was assessed I only have a PGDip in what I have a masters in. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off. In your instance you may want to double check- though if you dont want to do the NARIC thing then ONLY send in your highest degree and dont make ANY mention of your undergraduate at all- they found out about mine from my CV.

clarification- HSMP have access to the NARIC database- the only reason to get a NARIC certification on your own is if you are unsure if your degree equates to the British standard for a masters.

jimmyho
Newly Registered

Post by jimmyho » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:02 am

thanks for the tips.

now I am a bit concern about my masters. Altho I have my masters in finance, but I am still primarily working in IT....so if I just submit my masters in finance, they'd be questioning why am I working in IT, and whether they'd reconigised my qualification....
amhilde wrote:you dont HAVE to- but a word of caution- I thought I was fine because I have a masters in the US- but my undergrad was in a different subject for which it was assessed I only have a PGDip in what I have a masters in. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off. In your instance you may want to double check- though if you dont want to do the NARIC thing then ONLY send in your highest degree and dont make ANY mention of your undergraduate at all- they found out about mine from my CV.

clarification- HSMP have access to the NARIC database- the only reason to get a NARIC certification on your own is if you are unsure if your degree equates to the British standard for a masters.

bergdorf

Post by bergdorf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:17 pm

Hey Jimmy,

I did a MCom (Finance) from UNSW too. I had no problems getting points for that! :D

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:23 pm

bergdorf- did you do finance as an undergraduate as well?

bergdorf

Post by bergdorf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:42 pm

amhilde wrote:bergdorf- did you do finance as an undergraduate as well?
Nope :D

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Brilliant. I could just rip the living crap out of that caseworker I had. I tried very hard down the phone, poor kid- nothing is worse than my wrath. He sounded about 19 and could barely communicate on the phone, including saying "hello how may I help you". Ah well, some things happen for good reasons :)

bergdorf

Post by bergdorf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:18 pm

amhilde wrote:Brilliant. I could just rip the living crap out of that caseworker I had. I tried very hard down the phone, poor kid- nothing is worse than my wrath. He sounded about 19 and could barely communicate on the phone, including saying "hello how may I help you". Ah well, some things happen for good reasons :)
Although, I must qualify my statement by saying my undergrad degree was related to the area of Commerce. I don't want to say what it was because it's one of those courses that is very small/selective and people can be easily identified (or maybe I'm just paranoid!)

jimmyho
Newly Registered

Post by jimmyho » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:46 am

bergdorf: what did you study for your Bachelor degree? And what's your profession?
bergdorf wrote:
amhilde wrote:Brilliant. I could just rip the living crap out of that caseworker I had. I tried very hard down the phone, poor kid- nothing is worse than my wrath. He sounded about 19 and could barely communicate on the phone, including saying "hello how may I help you". Ah well, some things happen for good reasons :)
Although, I must qualify my statement by saying my undergrad degree was related to the area of Commerce. I don't want to say what it was because it's one of those courses that is very small/selective and people can be easily identified (or maybe I'm just paranoid!)

bergdorf

Post by bergdorf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:17 am

jimmyho wrote:bergdorf: what did you study for your Bachelor degree? And what's your profession?
bergdorf wrote:
I work in Finance.

jimmyho
Newly Registered

Post by jimmyho » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:24 pm

That's my worry.
I studied IT as bachelor, and Masters in Finance. However, I am working as a IT consultant...and they might not recongise my masters? Or can i hightlight the fact that I have my own UK limited company and i look after the financial side of it a well?