ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU on student visa and EU getting married in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Messfiwi
Newly Registered

Non-EU on student visa and EU getting married in UK

Post by Messfiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:39 am

Hello :)

I am a non-EU national on student visa and my fiancee who is a EU national and has never lived in the UK before are planning to get married here in the UK. We don't plan to remain in the UK as I'm going to apply for a residency permit to live with her in her country. What do we both need to get our certificate of marriage here? Do I need to get before a certificate of approval from the home office?

Thank you!

bongaye
Newly Registered

Re: Non-EU on student visa and EU getting married in UK

Post by bongaye » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 pm

why not go and get married in her country?that will be the easiest since you dont plan to live here.
Messfiwi wrote:Hello :)

I am a non-EU national on student visa and my fiancee who is a EU national and has never lived in the UK before are planning to get married here in the UK. We don't plan to remain in the UK as I'm going to apply for a residency permit to live with her in her country. What do we both need to get our certificate of marriage here? Do I need to get before a certificate of approval from the home office?

Thank you!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes you need a certificate of approval.
I tell it like it is.

Messfiwi
Newly Registered

Re: Non-EU on student visa and EU getting married in UK

Post by Messfiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:12 pm

bongaye wrote:why not go and get married in her country?that will be the easiest since you dont plan to live here.
They refused me the %@$&ing visa and want her to come here! :evil:

Messfiwi
Newly Registered

Post by Messfiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:15 pm

ElenaW wrote:Yes you need a certificate of approval.
How do I apply for this and how long does it take to get it? :?

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Messfiwi wrote:
ElenaW wrote:Yes you need a certificate of approval.
How do I apply for this and how long does it take to get it? :?
There is an option in this forum called 'Search' and its for use ! your questions have been aswered a million times.

Why were you refused visa by her home country's embassy ? If you are planning to move to her country, my advise would be to get married there.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

Messfiwi
Newly Registered

Post by Messfiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Pakhtoon wrote: There is an option in this forum called 'Search' and its for use ! your questions have been aswered a million times.
I wouldn't ask if the search tool gave me a clear answer :roll:
Pakhtoon wrote: Why were you refused visa by her home country's embassy ? If you are planning to move to her country, my advise would be to get married there
Do you think they would grant me a visa to get married there that easily? No I would need to apply for a resident permit and wait months not like the Australian who can get married there and have his residency permit within a week or two! :evil:

Messfiwi
Newly Registered

Post by Messfiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:11 pm

By the way, why do I need a certificate of approval since my finacee isn't British and we doesn't intend to live in the UK? We just want to get married here and that's it! :?

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:23 pm

which country is your girl-friend from ?
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Messfiwi wrote:By the way, why do I need a certificate of approval since my finacee isn't British and we doesn't intend to live in the UK? We just want to get married here and that's it! :?
A certificate of approval does not give any kind of status it's just permission to marry. Think 'marriage licence' type thing.

You can search for it on the UKBA site. It takes like 8 weeks to get an approval.

This should get you started:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visiti ... fapproval/
I tell it like it is.