ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unemployment at the time of application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

munisa

Unemployment at the time of application

Post by munisa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:47 am

Hi all, I have tried searching the board and couldnt find my answer. Form AN asks for the employment status at time of applying. Would being unemployed affect the outcome? If I fill Unemployed as I will be out of work at the time of applying, what effect does it have on the decision? Thanks
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

kindley

Re: Unemployment at the time of application

Post by kindley » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:53 am

munisa wrote:Hi all, I have tried searching the board and couldnt find my answer. Form AN asks for the employment status at time of applying. Would being unemployed affect the outcome? If I fill Unemployed as I will be out of work at the time of applying, what effect does it have on the decision? Thanks
I do not think your unemployed status will have too much adverse effect on your application as long as you meet other requirements.
Last edited by kindley on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always Seek Further Opinion (ASFO)

munisa

Re: Unemployment at the time of application

Post by munisa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 am

kindley wrote:
munisa wrote:Hi all, I have tried searching the board and couldnt find my answer. Form AN asks for the employment status at time of applying. Would being unemployed affect the outcome? If I fill Unemployed as I will be out of work at the time of applying, what effect does it have on the decision? Thanks
I do not think your unemployed status will have too much adverse effect on your application as long as you meet other requirement.
Thanks Kindley, i will have ajob till about a month and a half before i qualify to apply. Fingers crossed!
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

ryze
Newly Registered

Un Employment but volenteer Work,benefits -Naturalisation

Post by ryze » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi All,
Please give me some advice, as there is an old saying “builds the Dike before the flood comes"As I am not working regularly will this affect my naturalisation process?
I worked since I came to England on fiancé Visa March 2007, soon after the registration of the marriage, then and until at the time of redundancy on the September 2008,
Then we both went on holiday to my home country for Exactly 90 days, when I returned I found a part time work for only 19 hours a week as a ongoing basis from January 2009 until July 2009.
Then I was without work until End of September 2009.
then again I found a job for two months October & November 2009, Since December 2009 until now I haven’t found or got a job I am fed up with temporary works, At last I made up my mind to do Volunteer work as a Administration Assistant to the one of the department in the local council, my CRB just got cleared after 8 weeks hopefully will start immediately soon to do volunteer work in this department,
But I am due to apply for my Naturalisation on the end of March 2010, will this make a big issue on my application
My wife is British and she claimed Child tax, Working tax on Joined names Child benefit, Housing and Council Tax benefit on her own name, I always wanted to stay a away from public funds since I thought it might Jeopardise the Citizenship, please reply with some Great advices.

Thank You in advance all,

Ryze

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Naturalisation is not predicated on the basis of employment. The eligibility criteria are spelt out in detail, and employment is not one of the criteria. Remember too that some people applying for naturalisation will never have been employed in the UK (many dependent spouses, for example, are not in employment).

cisiwh
Newly Registered

Post by cisiwh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm

This is my first post, so apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere: does this mean that having an NI number and being a taxpayer are not essential requirements for gaining citizenship? Having looked at the AN form and guide, I got the impression that they were essential - especially as Section 3 (Good Character Requirement) does not have a suitable box to tick for someone who does not work (through choice), and the notes say "Among the duties and obligations, which you are expected to fulfil, is payment of income tax and National Insurance contributions."

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm

cisiwh wrote:"Among the duties and obligations, which you are expected to fulfil, is payment of income tax and National Insurance contributions."
Yes, but one is expected to pay income tax and National Insurance contributions only if one owes them. It is perfectly possible to apply for naturalisation and not be working and, indeed, never have worked in the UK. A dependent spouse who doesn't work outside the home would be one obvious example of such a person (i.e. what was called 40 or 50 years ago a "housewife", although these days there are "house husbands" as well).

cisiwh
Newly Registered

Post by cisiwh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:00 am

Well, thanks for that, Christophe - it makes sense, and that is what I was hoping to hear But what about Section 3.2 of the AN form, where the only choices are employee, business partner, self-employed, and director - none of which would apply to a "housewife"?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 pm

cisiwh wrote:Well, thanks for that, Christophe - it makes sense, and that is what I was hoping to hear But what about Section 3.2 of the AN form, where the only choices are employee, business partner, self-employed, and director - none of which would apply to a "housewife"?
If you are a "housewife", I'd write in "Home duties".

Alternatively, if you're going to use the Nationality Checking Service, you could leave it blank until you see them and ask them.