ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working in another country after naturalisation application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

working in another country after naturalisation application

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Hello

I was wondering if it is possible to move to another country after ap;lying for naturalisation in the UK. i mean does it affect ones chances in any way?

flyez

Post by flyez » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:46 pm

Before you officially receive naturalisation certificate, you are still in ILR status. So, I think it might affect your naturalisation application if you formally move your home out of UK, whilst your BC application is being considering.

So why not wait 1 or 2 more months after you finally have become british citizen.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Roger, at the very least you would need to return to attend a Citizenship Ceremony within three months of the date of approval, otherwise the approval will lapse (in the absence of any compelling reason stopping you attending a ceremony in the three month period).

But I agree with Flyez, surely best to stick around until the approval letter comes through, you attend a Citizenship Ceremony, and get the British Passport!

Where are you thinking of moving to?
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:05 pm

thanks for the replies

will the home office realise that i have moved out of the country. i can always come back for the ceremony.

planning to move to the land downunder :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:39 am

will the home office realise that i have moved out of the country. i can always come back for the ceremony.
No, I don't think your absence will affect your application.

But the "application successful" letter, is there someone at home to let you know it has arrived?
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:10 am

thanks for the reply John

I was thinking on the lines of using the "forward the post" service

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 am

Roger, I realise plans change but when you applied you did effectively state that it was intended to make the UK your main residence.

You might well "get away with it" if you move "down under" before getting your application successful letter but I would counsel you to wait until you are British before making the move. At the very least, it is a long way to fly back to the UK to attend a Citizenship Ceremony, and then wait a few days for your British passport to come through.

Also you will need a visa for "down under"? Surely you would want that visa in your British passport?
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:41 pm

thanks for the info John

i will put my plans on hold and hopefully the naturlisation should come through within a month or so.