ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa Madeira

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dinsey
Newly Registered

Schengen visa Madeira

Post by Dinsey » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:06 pm

I am travelling at the end of feb to Funchal in Madeira (portugal) with my wife. She has a indian passport with a marriage 2 year visa, she arrived in the uk may 2005. I have a british passport.

Question is do I apply through the portugal embassy for a schengen visa? What are they like regarding how long they take and can you go in person or need a appointment.

I saw on the site that if the partner has a EU passport there is no fee for the visa, can this be true?

Note: A Schengen visa will be issued free of charge to the spouse and children of an EU national, upon presentation of the original marriage or birth certificate and a valid EU passport. For children, original full birth certificates are required.

http://portugal.embassyhomepage.com/por ... ingdom.htm

Thanks In Advance

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:57 pm

I saw on the site that if the partner has a EU passport there is no fee for the visa, can this be true?
Indeed it is so! Because of EU regulations! And it works all ways. For example in a German Citizen has an Indian wife, and they usually live in Germany, but now they want to visit the UK on holiday, the UK's visitor visa would be free.

Before my wife and step-daughter had British Passports they applied twice for French-issued Schengen visas .... of course issued for free. The French Consulate in London generally has a good reputation as regards Schengen visas.

Portuguese-issued Schengen visas? Sorry, no experience of that at all. And don't recollect a post of this board about that.
John

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:26 am

Dinsey,
if you dont live in london then try looking up a local consulate in the yellow pages (the Netherlands has lots of vice-consulates all over the country) and you could use them to send out your visa application.
If you live in london then you could apply through the French or the Dutch, as they seem to be quite good at recognising EU laws regarding fee free visas.
Allthe best

Dinsey
Newly Registered

Post by Dinsey » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks Guys, but dont you have to apply to the first port of destination. So i would have to apply to portugese embassy.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:05 am

You should apply at the country which is going to be your Main Destination and if there is no Main Destination, to the Schengen country you will first enter.

So, for example, you could apply to France if during the six months validity of the visa they will issue France will be the main destination, even though Portugal will be entered first.
John