ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When can I enter?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aa0303
Newly Registered

When can I enter?

Post by aa0303 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello,

I am currently working in the US and plan to apply for the UK Tier 1 Visa (skilled worker). I want to know that once my visa is approved is there a clause which requires me to enter the UK within a given time frame from the date of approval? If I get it approved by May 2010. can I enter UK using the visa by March 2011.

What would be the problems if any of doing this?

Thanks for your help.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: When can I enter?

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:47 pm

You can enter UK as long as your visa is valid..

but HO recommends to enter within 28days if you are serious about ILR

aa0303
Newly Registered

Post by aa0303 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks

mno2uk

Re: When can I enter?

Post by mno2uk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:43 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:You can enter UK as long as your visa is valid..

but HO recommends to enter within 28days if you are serious about ILR
Ramesh how do u know about the recommendation of 28 days from head office ? I asked them to put a later date on the visa date but its already begun ticking time..

So do i miss something major if i cannot enter before 28 days ? are there major issues later u mean to say ?
:Please clarify

Thanks

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm

28 days recommendation is for ILR, otherwise you can even enter UK before the Visa expires.

Regarding the other question, my guess is your travel date might have been longer three months from the date of application, hence Visa Office might have considered the date of application itself as starting date for Visa.

Thanks
Raghavendran G

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm

raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:28 days recommendation is for ILR, otherwise you can even enter UK before the Visa expires.

Regarding the other question, my guess is your travel date might have been longer three months from the date of application, hence Visa Office might have considered the date of application itself as starting date for Visa.

Thanks
Raghavendran G
I am confused now.. one part is initital grant of visa whihc i have now.. and how is ILR different now?

what i think is once i m in before 28 days from the visa start date and before expiry of 3 yrs term i will apply for FLR ? and then ILR ?

what are the stages guys and how will i be affected if i am unable to enter before 28 days ? do i lose something really ?

and the date i asked for was first week of march although the one printed in only the end of feb ! ..anayways i gues i m cool .. the grant is there..

Do i need to worry about the check at the port before i actually enter? what can i be asked? all my docs are genuine and will carry the banks statements, TCs and aslo the chest x ray ..anything else ?

please guide with how did u do it when u first moved from here to there.. thanks.. any tips would be beneficial..

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

You will not loose anything if you dont enter within 28days but HO recommends to enter because if you enter within 28days after you 1st extension(if the 5yrs rule stays at that time) that is 3yrs + 2yrs you can apply 28days before completing 5yrs for ILR..

If you dont enter with in 28days.. we need to go for extra extension at that time.. again permiting the rules to stay same as today

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:You will not loose anything if you dont enter within 28days but HO recommends to enter because if you enter within 28days after you 1st extension(if the 5yrs rule stays at that time) that is 3yrs + 2yrs you can apply 28days before completing 5yrs for ILR..

If you dont enter with in 28days.. we need to go for extra extension at that time.. again permiting the rules to stay same as today
this is still confusing me - i just want to knw that snce i have just been granted a visa do i need to step into the UK before 28 days or i can manage t o come in later also ..

and we are talking of extension only then the 28 days thing comes into picture right ?

Also guide me regarding the manner in which i can carry funds n what to expect at the airport arrival counter at heathrow.

thanks

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 pm

To answer your questions briefly,

You can enter UK anytime during the validity of your visa.

Scenario 1 : If you enter within 28 days of the issue of your visa, you can apply for PR with only ONE extension.(if the present rules do not change)

Scenario 2: If you do not enter within 28 days of the issue of your visa, you will have to get your visa extended TWO times before you can apply for PR.

Carry all your documents you used to get your visa in ur hand luggage, they might get handy at the immigration check. Also carry a chest X-ray if possible, this will possibly cut about a couple of hours at the immigration check. Carry TCs and a little cash to get on till you open your bank account. TCs are safe and can be cashed at various places.

Hope you are not still confused... :D

All the best..

mno2uk

Post by mno2uk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 pm

thanks!!
Is travel insurance and medical cover advisable or a personal choice ? How much can i end up paying there for the same - medical insurance.

chest x- ray i definitely will and some short sundry cash to the tune of 100 quid i guess.. should be enough ?

thanks
aruni4470 wrote:To answer your questions briefly,

Scenario 1 : If you enter within 28 days of the issue of your visa, you can apply for PR with only ONE extension.(if the present rules do not change)

Scenario 2: If you do not enter within 28 days of the issue of your visa, you will have to get your visa extended TWO times before you can apply for PR.

Carry all your documents you used to get your visa in ur hand luggage, they might get handy at the immigration check. Also carry a chest X-ray if possible, this will possibly cut about a couple of hours at the immigration check. Carry TCs and a little cash to get on till you open your bank account. TCs are safe and can be cashed at various places.

All the best..

vks

Post by vks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm

mno2uk wrote:thanks!!
Is travel insurance and medical cover advisable or a personal choice ? How much can i end up paying there for the same - medical insurance.

Any insurance is to cover the risk of threats! So travel insurance advisable. Medical insurance is not required, if you are here for working on Tier 1, as you will be covered on NHS.

chest x- ray i definitely will and some short sundry cash to the tune of 100 quid i guess.. should be enough ?

Should suffice, IMO

thanks
aruni4470 wrote:To answer your questions briefly,

All the best..
Regards,
vks