ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OT: Indian Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bblb
Newly Registered

OT: Indian Passport

Post by bblb » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:59 pm

I know this isn't directly related to UK immigration, but I would be grateful for some help.

I've just had my Indian passport returned by the Home Office and am about to renew my Indian passport at the Consulate General in Birmingham.

I have two questions.

1. Does anyone know how long it takes to renew an Indian passport if I submit the application in person at Birmingham and the passport only just expired in December 2005?

2. Does anyone know if I need to get my photographs certified? I can't see any reference to certifying photographs on the Consular website. If they do need to be certified, who can do them?

Thanks all and any help would be very much appreciated.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:45 am

I don't think you need to get your photos certified.

Timescales... the 'babu' bureacracy is not any less than in India. It entirely depends on luck... The staff here are the most useless bunch!...

I would recommend going there in person and requesting for a quick service... probably two weeks if you are lucky!

Golauk

Post by Golauk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:33 pm

I have also submitted my passport for renewal and I called them last week and the lady said that as my passport has been issued from India, so it will take 4-5 weeks for renewal. Once the passport is ready they will give me call to collect it (sounds funny).

GolaUk
God is Great!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:07 pm

4 - 5 weeks? That's luxury! My (the South African) embassy currently advises that it takes 4 - 5 months to issue a new passport and as one poster posted here the other day, his country isn't even issuing passports at the moment because of a lack of ink and blank booklets. So count yourself lucky.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

bblb
Newly Registered

Post by bblb » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:25 pm

I was told by a friend of mine today that for passports that have been issued in India, the renewal must also be done in India. But my passport that has just expired has been issued here in Birmingham, well thats what the issue stamp says anyway.

So hopefully it shouldn't take as long as those that need to go to India. I'll be submitting it tomorrow as the Consulate was closed today due to Republic Day holiday.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:19 am

I don't think that's true. It would cause total chaos if they start sending passports to India if they were originally issued in India!...
I think the delay here is mainly because the staff are just too lazy to do the job they have been hired for!... in true Indian spirit :-)

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:38 am

mhunjn,

In stead of complaining about the poor service at the Indian High Commission, why don't you do something about it? As per the new Indian rubbish Rang De Basanti :lol:

Smit

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 am

Haven't seen the rubbish, so don't know what you are talking about.

As for doing something about it in general, I am afraid it's just not possible. I am sure a lot of good people have tried that, but to no avail.

And before people start chipping in with their comments about how we can improve the system...it's just not practical...
Smit wrote:mhunjn,

In stead of complaining about the poor service at the Indian High Commission, why don't you do something about it? As per the new Indian rubbish Rang De Basanti :lol:

Smit

fardeens

Post by fardeens » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi - I have had horrible experiences with Birmingham consulate. I think London one is much better and efficient. Correct me people if I am wrong.