ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

two questions filling British passport application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raikal

two questions filling British passport application

Post by raikal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi,
I am in the process of filling the application for passport.

1. my wife wants to change her signature slightly which is different to driving license and Indian passport. Is there any extra documentation required ?

2. The Indian passport I have travelled to UK is expired. and I have taken a new passport 2 years ago. Should I be sending the expired passport to UKPA or both ?

Regards
raikal

ppron747
inactive

Re: two questions filling British passport application

Post by ppron747 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:54 pm

raikal wrote:Hi,
I am in the process of filling the application for passport.
1. my wife wants to change her signature slightly which is different to driving license and Indian passport. Is there any extra documentation required ?

You haven't given us much to go on by way of the nature of the change, but I'd have thought that a simple covering letter explaining it would suffice
raikal wrote: 2. The Indian passport I have travelled to UK is expired. and I have taken a new passport 2 years ago. Should I be sending the expired passport to UKPA or both ?
If this is a first passport application you should definitely be sending the expired passport - this is on their website. My own inclination would be to send the current one as well - you'll get them both back.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

kp1

Post by kp1 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but the section 3 of a the passport application for states ' You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application'.

That would indicate no need for expired passports?

kp1

Post by kp1 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:25 pm

Last edited by kp1 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:32 pm

kp1 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but the section 3 of a the passport application for states ' You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application'.

That would indicate no need for expired passports?
I checked the FAQs on the UKPS's website last night, in connection with another query. Unless they've changed in the meantime, they require first passport applicants to produce the passport that they used to enter the UK.

raikal

Post by raikal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.
My wife just writes her name as her signature including surname.
( eg., ABC PERSON) ABC is her surname which is before marraige.
And the same thing continued till now even on british driving license.

I am thining , it is right time to change her signature.

Please advice

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Not a good idea to change signature at this time in your life.

I would recommend to continue using the existing signature as it is even if the surname or order is different.
Several organizations (e.g.: Banks, DVLA etc ) would have already digitalized your signature in their files.
It may not only create problems for you, but you will also have to undertake additional pains to authentify & 'keep track' between old and new signatures before using them.
raikal wrote:Thanks for the reply.
My wife just writes her name as her signature including surname.
( eg., ABC PERSON) ABC is her surname which is before marraige.
And the same thing continued till now even on british driving license.

I am thining , it is right time to change her signature.

Please advice

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:58 pm

ppron747 wrote:I checked the FAQs on the UKPS's website last night, in connection with another query. Unless they've changed in the meantime, they require first passport applicants to produce the passport that they used to enter the UK.

If they start refusing passports for this reason (ie if the 'first passport to enter UK') is not available, I would think it's not going to be long before MPs start getting asked to intervene.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:09 pm

I agree. i suspect the guidelines "passport used to enter the UK" refer to the nationality of the passport and not the physical passport. When i naturalised i was asked to submit only my last passport which was different from the physical passport that I had used to first enter. That had long expired and they specifically said that they only wanted the latest one. They basically use it for identity verification purposes so there would be little point insisting on an old passport when a newer one is available. The UKPS do not look at stamps etc - their purpose is solely to verify identity and your entitlement to a Uk passport. Identity is confirmed by a passport ( preferrably the most current) and entitlement by the naturalisation certificate in these cases.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:42 pm

I said last night that I thought it was rubbish, and explained why.

But the fact is that it's there until someone does something about it. If an individual has what he's being asked for, and can provide it without undue inconvenience, then it seems to that he's got two options:-
1. Provide it, or
2. Refuse to provide it, and risk delay in receiving his new British passport.

The question is, is it worth kicking up a fuss over something that isn't a problem to comply with?

If the individual hasn't got the original passport, and they insist on it in accordance with the website, then that's the time to kick up a fuss, and perhaps get them to actually think about what they're asking.

Just my $0.02

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 pm

I agree that if in doubt it's just sensible to provide it if possible.

I was just recounting my case where I applied at the London passport office in person and was told to take back my older passports as they didn't need them. It made sense to me then !

raikal

Post by raikal » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:18 pm

hi lemess,

so did they take your latest passport ? I thought they do not take any passports if you go in person.

UK_yankees
Newly Registered

Post by UK_yankees » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:55 pm

What next after I received certificate of naturalisation? Can I apply for UK passport? What document do I have to submit?

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Raikal,
I went to the London office and yes they do take your latest passport along with the naturalisation certificate.

Uk-yankees, you can apply for a Uk passport at once after getting your naturalsation certificate. The documents are clearly specified on the form. Basically you need your passport and naturalisation certificate for straightforward naturalisation cases plus additional supporting documents like marriage certificate in case of change of name etc.
Also remember that you need your passport application form countersigned by a british or irish citizen of sufficient standing ( bank manager, accountant, manager , teacher etc) and they need to have known you for 2 or more years. You can get the details here.

raikal

Post by raikal » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:07 pm

thanks lemses

raikal

Post by raikal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:38 pm

I called passport enquiry and tried to find the same.
They said, they dont care how we sign on the application.

Surprising !!

Raikal

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:51 pm

Vin123's point that your wife will have two different signatures running at the same time is still valid, though.

It would be sensible to contact existing card-issuers, DVLA, etc and update their records too. There have been odd occasions where I've been asked to produce two different pieces of evidence of identity, and producing these with two different signatures could have resulted in problems...

confused1

Post by confused1 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:02 am

YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR SIGNATUE ON YOUR LICENCE ANY TIME IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY A FEE OF £19.