ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Yank --> EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Quantum
Newly Registered

Yank --> EU

Post by Quantum » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 pm

Hello friends,

A year ago I'd applied to Canada for permanent residency. The process usually takes two years, but with this week's change in govt I do not expect it to happen now.

My preference anyway is for Sweden. But when I researched it a year ago, it was essentially impossible for an American to emigrate there because one must either:
- Marry a Swede
- Have pre-arranged employment with an employer who will certify that no EU citizen can do the job.

OK, so I started looking at other EU countries and found that Ireland was relatively easy. I believe now though, they have tightened up. I have no interest in eastern-European countries, and prefer Scandinavia.

I'm 51, lived in Germany for three years during military service, have a graduate degree (MBA, Finance), no criminal record, speak a little German and French, and am a commercial real estate developer who lost his capital in the stock market decline of 2000. I realize that the language is necessary for employment, and am willing to study.

Is it possible for an American to emigrate to Europe?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Do you qualify for the UK's HSMP scheme? If you click here you can check your chances on the "Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) Points Calculator".
John

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Quantum- Sweden is quite difficult, not only in terms of citizenship, but the job market there is really bad right now. Also, Sweden is a very tightnit society- many Swedes get jobs due to long-term personal contacts and the like (as in, we-went-to-primary-school-together), and you may be passed over in a job search for a Swede. I have a Swedish boyfriend and even he doesnt think that he could get a job in Stockholm because he doesnt have the right contact network in that area of the country. Also, there is a huge glut of economics and business graduates over there due to the popularity of the study at university. Im not sure its really the social utopia anymore a lot of people outside the country consider it to be; government definitely has a heavy hand in everything you do. The real estate market is extremely strange there as well- currently there is a serious shortage of rental accomodation, but something about building new homes is difficult due to some government restriction or other.

If you have a relationship with a Swede you can live and work in the country without being married- in a sambo relationship- so long as the immigration people are happy that you have a relationship- thats a good 8 month process and involves paperwork and embassy interviews on both sides of the ocean. Migrationsverket is the place to go for that information. You should also come join the crowd on amerikanska.com- its a big forum of American expats in Sweden where they all know the ins and outs of working the system and how Sweden can be to a foreigner. People sometimes post up jobs- three came through last week for the Stockholm area, though probably far below the level you are at.

If you are interested in learning the Swedish language, then you can take distance learning courses through the Folksuniversitetet. Im going this summer to learn Swedish over there, but when I return to the US Ill be taking those courses. Learning the language should definitely help- and if you know French and German thats even better, as its a germanic language with French influences due to the wars back around the time of Napoleon ( the royal family is decended from a French lieutenant). I sspeak both French and German ( and a smattering of Danish) and have found it easy to pick up- its a far easier structure than German at least!

So, good luck, as John suggests you may do better with an HSMP to the UK, though if you like Sweden and Canada ( and we love Vancouver!) then you may be looking for quality of life, which may or may not always be found in the UK, depending on where you live and what you like. Your other option could be to get a job with a Scandinavian company here in the US- easier said than done, I know- and get a transfer. If you can stick it out in the UK long enough from HSMP entry to get British citizenship then you can live and work in any EU country you damn well please after five years. Besides, there is a lot more real estate development happening in the UK right now than in Sweden.

Hope this helps!