ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIMELINE AFTER NATURALISATION APPLICATION SUBMISSION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

London102

Post by London102 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 am

Quite right and yes they do keep a record. All conversations are stamped with time and date. I have always heard this sentence that there is no change since you called last time on so and so date.

Regards
navnas wrote:just called the HO and the guy told me that my application is waiting allocation ....

the other thing i noticed that they log the day/time when ever you call so he told me that there is no change since i last called them a week ago ...

looks like the process is slowing down a bit .....i have never experienced the stress iam having now not even with my ILR or FLR applications ..dont know why !

yarons

Post by yarons » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 pm

navnas wrote:just called the HO and the guy told me that my application is waiting allocation ....

the other thing i noticed that they log the day/time when ever you call so he told me that there is no change since i last called them a week ago ...

looks like the process is slowing down a bit .....i have never experienced the stress iam having now not even with my ILR or FLR applications ..dont know why !
Well, if your case is awaiting case worker allocation then your timelines fall in line with latest stats provided by people in this forum. you filed your application 3 weeks ago and it's been through the initial acknowledgement and initial checks already. The average from this point onwards is about 2-4 weeks based on other people experience.

navnas

Post by navnas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:16 pm

well Yarons , lets see what happens and you might be right ...

though i have seen a lot of cases in this forum and the other one where a decision is made within 10 days of acknowledgment .

anyways good luck to all those who are waiting for a positive outcome including myself . feels good to talk to all of you !

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Just completed my citizenship ceremony today. Glad it's over!

Next step is to apply for British passport. I do have a question in this regard:
The naturalsation certificate is an A4-size document. The envelope that is provided for passport application is much smaller. Does this mean that we have to fold the certificate and enclose it in the envelope? I find it a bit odd that we should be doing this, considering the certificate is an important document. Or does the post office provide a larger envelope when we use their check & send facility?

Spartac, you may be able to help answer this, since you have recently sent out your passport application. And like you, I too have the secondary question about the interview - whether we have some input in deciding the date and location. It's a bit difficult to take leave from work
at short notice!

One other important point to note: Do not laminate the naturalisation certificate! (I usually do this with important documents.) I asked the staff at the ceremony, and the lady told me so.
And I cross-checked at this site (look under the last section titled "When can I get my British Passport?"):
Westminster City Council - Citizenship ceremonies

Best of luck to others in the pipeline...

indianadr
United Kingdom

Post by indianadr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:31 pm

global gypsy wrote:Just completed my citizenship ceremony today. Glad it's over!

Next step is to apply for British passport. I do have a question in this regard:
The naturalsation certificate is an A4-size document. The envelope that is provided for passport application is much smaller. Does this mean that we have to fold the certificate and enclose it in the envelope? I find it a bit odd that we should be doing this, considering the certificate is an important document. Or does the post office provide a larger envelope when we use their check & send facility?

Spartac, you may be able to help answer this, since you have recently sent out your passport application. And like you, I too have the secondary question about the interview - whether we have some input in deciding the date and location. It's a bit difficult to take leave from work
at short notice!

One other important point to note: Do not laminate the naturalisation certificate! (I usually do this with important documents.) I asked the staff at the ceremony, and the lady told me so.
And I cross-checked at this site (look under the last section titled "When can I get my British Passport?"):
Westminster City Council - Citizenship ceremonies

Best of luck to others in the pipeline...
Hi,
Congrats on being a BC now.
Yes. You should not laminate Naturalisation Certificate.

I asked the same question at Post Office and confirmed they will send it in a big envelope. But when the passport office returns your documents (originals), they fold it and send. This is true either via Check N Send or via normal post.

About choosing date/time for interview: once you get your letter for interview, they give list of centers and their timings. Some are open even on Saturdays. So, check the center timings at your place and decide. It just takes 15mins to complete the process. So, if possible do it during your lunch break :-)

Hope this helps
Mallik

Spartac

Post by Spartac » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:49 pm

[quote="global gypsy"]Just completed my citizenship ceremony today. Glad it's over!

at short notice!

One other important point to note: [b]Do not laminate the naturalisation certificate![/b] (I usually do this with important documents.) I asked the staff at the ceremony, and the lady told me so.
[url=http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/ ... tizenship/][b]Westminster City Council - Citizenship ceremonies[/b][/url]

Best of luck to others in the pipeline...[/quote]

Hi global gypsy and many congrats on the citizenship.

Regarding the passport, they do seem to fold the certificate. In my case, they folded the certificate and placed it in a transparent bag along with my passports, application form and pictures.

You can have the citizenship certificate laminated after you have received the passport.

Any ideas on why some passport cases get held up and IPS asks for more information, the most recent case being thiagofali. After all the stress of the citizenship process, all I want is a smooth ride through the rest of the process.

Hope that helps - Spartac

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Spartac and Mallik - thanks for your tips.

Spartac, I wasn't aware there's further checks at passport application stage! I thought they just verify the reference. Perhaps they do detailed checks on a random basis? Not sure.
Best of luck with the interview.

Eskar

Post by Eskar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:26 pm

i know how its feel. if you ask me i cant concentrate on my study. by the way did u call homeoffice recently. if not , then give them call, ur case might be decided in the meanwhile.

massalm.
Jerryanderson wrote:congratulations to all members who got their British passport!

I try to hide my stress but to be honest it is a such Horrible one I do not think I have experienced such thing! I do not know why? Because of fear of not becoming British ? or is it because of internal emotional conflicts between Our miserable lives in our country of origin and being finally Free from that stress of some Idiot regimes! I do not know just rambling thoughts maybe does not make sense but the stress is so intense ...
Maybe paranoid again lol

thiagofali
Newly Registered

Re: PASSPORT APPLICATION>>>

Post by thiagofali » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm

No. Oficially, only british citizens can vote, or eu citizens... I just became british. lol
Spartac wrote:
thiagofali wrote:I have received a letter from the IPS today, asking me for an official statement from my bank, mortgage company or landlord confirming my address for the last 3 years.... I think this is ludicrous... after all the visas I had to get and the naturalisation itself being approved, I am now officially a british citizen.. however, they still ask for something like this which is totally stupid... If I don't get it what does it mean? that I cannot get my british passport even though the home office granted my naturalisation? this is ludicrous...

I wanted to ask if anyone know of the IPS asking for some kind of statement confirming 3 years of residence??

Thank u
Hi thiagofali,

I have heard about this happening in a few cases. I did a bit of reseach and found out that the IPS does preliminary checks to verify a person's existance and they check the electoral rolls. Are you listed on the electoral roll?

Regards - Spartac

Eskar

Post by Eskar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Officially only british citizen , commonwealth citizen and irish citizen[Living UK] can vote in general election. source: LITUK test

thiagofali wrote:No. Oficially, only british citizens can vote, or eu citizens... I just became british. lol
Spartac wrote:
thiagofali wrote:I have received a letter from the IPS today, asking me for an official statement from my bank, mortgage company or landlord confirming my address for the last 3 years.... I think this is ludicrous... after all the visas I had to get and the naturalisation itself being approved, I am now officially a british citizen.. however, they still ask for something like this which is totally stupid... If I don't get it what does it mean? that I cannot get my british passport even though the home office granted my naturalisation? this is ludicrous...

I wanted to ask if anyone know of the IPS asking for some kind of statement confirming 3 years of residence??

Thank u
Hi thiagofali,

I have heard about this happening in a few cases. I did a bit of reseach and found out that the IPS does preliminary checks to verify a person's existance and they check the electoral rolls. Are you listed on the electoral roll?

Regards - Spartac

Jerryanderson
Newly Registered

Post by Jerryanderson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm

[quote="Eskar"]i know how its feel. if you ask me i cant concentrate on my study. by the way did u call homeoffice recently. if not , then give them call, ur case might be decided in the meanwhile.

massalm.

My dear brother I did not call them since last time I Do need to hear it again between 3 to 6 months LOL it is kind of stabbing me in heart hearing that LoL.

Man the stress that caused me is huge I need to write a book about.
I think they need to open more places and get more staff for the citezenship
that could reduce the stress for everybody
I confess I had some paranoid ideas lol

yarons

Post by yarons » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Eskar wrote:i know how its feel. if you ask me i cant concentrate on my study. by the way did u call homeoffice recently. if not , then give them call, ur case might be decided in the meanwhile.

massalm.
Jerryanderson wrote:congratulations to all members who got their British passport!

I try to hide my stress but to be honest it is a such Horrible one I do not think I have experienced such thing! I do not know why? Because of fear of not becoming British ? or is it because of internal emotional conflicts between Our miserable lives in our country of origin and being finally Free from that stress of some Idiot regimes! I do not know just rambling thoughts maybe does not make sense but the stress is so intense ...
Maybe paranoid again lol
This is really interesting. it seems that most of us are more stressed/anxious/impatient about this application than any previous one. I'm the same way which is hard to explain when you consider the following logic: When one gets ILR, one obtains most of the rights a citizen holds. Is it really just the passport and the right to vote? My guess is not. I don't think it's even the prospect of losing your ILR after 2 years of being absent from the UK as you can always come for a visit and reset the clock and besides - what are the chances one will immigrate again?!

What is it then? well, for me it's the sense of belonging to this place which has been my home for years and will continue to be my home whether I become a citizen or not. In my eyes, to truly call a country "home" you need to be a citizen and not "just" a resident. But that's just me.

Oh, and there's the other thing of never having to deal with the UKBA and their ever changing demands, fees and whims ever again :)

Eskar

Post by Eskar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 pm

i suppose u should give a call. well i guess the informtion they give should more sepcific rather than 3 to 6 months. however it may also cause chaos. dnt stress much . i know it wont help but try to keep busy urself. like me when im in campus with my mates i dnt remeber but when i just myself then all the stress and worries start to play football in my head.
Jerryanderson wrote:
Eskar wrote:i know how its feel. if you ask me i cant concentrate on my study. by the way did u call homeoffice recently. if not , then give them call, ur case might be decided in the meanwhile.

massalm.

My dear brother I did not call them since last time I Do need to hear it again between 3 to 6 months LOL it is kind of stabbing me in heart hearing that LoL.

Man the stress that caused me is huge I need to write a book about.
I think they need to open more places and get more staff for the citezenship
that could reduce the stress for everybody
I confess I had some paranoid ideas lol

Jerryanderson
Newly Registered

Post by Jerryanderson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:56 pm

We should open a thread about stress and paranoid during waiting periods LoL

Man believe me the stress is huge...Sometimes I think Ah I have a beard, Muslim maybe takes time LoL

I know all that is None sense but you never know because I think sometimes beside being professional Desires interferes.It happened to me some years ago When I tried to settle in another country my case was rejected based on my appearance Maybe I am traumatised LoL

thiagofali
Newly Registered

Post by thiagofali » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 pm

I really think your appearance has some influence on the way some case workers deal with a case... It's about being lucky and getting someone without prejudices...

Jerryanderson wrote:We should open a thread about stress and paranoid during waiting periods LoL

Man believe me the stress is huge...Sometimes I think Ah I have a beard, Muslim maybe takes time LoL

I know all that is None sense but you never know because I think sometimes beside being professional Desires interferes.It happened to me some years ago When I tried to settle in another country my case was rejected based on my appearance Maybe I am traumatised LoL

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 am

thiagofali wrote:No. Oficially, only british citizens can vote, or eu citizens... I just became british. lol
Spartac wrote:

Thank u
Hi thiagofali,

Regards - Spartac
and COMMONWEALTH Citizens can vote as well
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Spartac

Post by Spartac » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:05 am

[quote="thiagofali"]No. Oficially, only british citizens can vote, or eu citizens... I just became british. lol [/quote][/quote]

Commonwealth citizens can vote as well if they register themselves on the electoral roll. I have voted. Maybe that was the issue in your case that they could not find you on the electoral roll.

Regards - Spartac

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 am

Spartac wrote:You can have the citizenship certificate laminated after you have received the passport.
NO! If you take a look a the info brochures they provided you at the ceremony, one of them states clearly that you should not laminate the naturalisation certicate. If you do, it ceases to be a valid document!
And you have to pay a replacement fee of £70 (and I am sure a lot of hassle to go with the process of applying for one).

Only wish they would use better quality paper for the certificate, in that case. Oh well...

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 am

By the way, I noticed that several posts here don't show the quotes correctly. E.g. Spartac
To fix this, go to your Profile, then Choose 'Yes' for the option 'Always allow BBCode' - and Save

Hope that helps.

Spartac

Post by Spartac » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 am

global gypsy wrote:By the way, I noticed that several posts here don't show the quotes correctly. E.g. Spartac
To fix this, go to your Profile, then Choose 'Yes' for the option 'Always allow BBCode' - and Save

Hope that helps.
Hey, I finally figured out how to quote properly:) Thanks global gypsy!

I didn't know about the lamination bit. The registrar who took our oath actually advised us to have the certificate laminated once we got our passport.

By the way, is there any other use for the certificate once we have our passports?

Regards - Spartac

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 am

Spartac wrote:Hey, I finally figured out how to quote properly:) Thanks global gypsy!
You're welcome. I have suggested to Admins to make this a default setting for all users.
By the way, is there any other use for the certificate once we have our passports?
The naturalisation certificate is a very important document for immigrants like us. It's similar to birth certificate for a native born Brit. I am sure there may be other contexts where the certificate would be required. Also, I expect we would need to use it again as proof of citizenship when we apply for another passport in 10 years' time!
When the instructions clearly state that we should not laminate the document, it may be a good idea to comply...

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:39 am

global gypsy wrote:
Spartac wrote:Hey, I finally figured out how to quote properly:) Thanks global gypsy!
You're welcome. I have suggested to Admins to make this a default setting for all users.
The naturalisation certificate is a very important document for immigrants like us. It's similar to birth certificate for a native born Brit. I am sure there may be other contexts where the certificate would be required. Also, I expect we would need to use it again as proof of citizenship when we apply for another passport in 10 years' time!
When the instructions clearly state that we should not laminate the document, it may be a good idea to comply...
I very much doubt that because in ten years time your next passport will be considered as renewal and its NOT necessary to send in your naturalisation certificate.

titas
Newly Registered

Post by titas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:17 pm

I received my invitation from the council two days ago but I am still awaiting the home office letter. Please advice what should I do.

Eskar

Post by Eskar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:24 pm

London, Have you heard anything yet. you should recieve it today if they post it on friday.

People who got their approval already , just want to know do you get approval and ceremony invitation in the same day. council receive the certificate just one day before people receivee their approval. so you can get the both letter same time. how they predict it as 2nd class stamp take up 6 days.

Eskar

Post by Eskar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:26 pm

call your council and book the ceremony date.
titas wrote:I received my invitation from the council two days ago but I am still awaiting the home office letter. Please advice what should I do.