ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP vs H1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

farazfastian

HSMP vs H1

Post by farazfastian » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:58 pm

Dear All,

As majority of you know that I’m waiting for my review decision, I don’t know when its gona happen but I'm pretty hopeful that It’ll be an approval but still not 100% sure.

Recently, I’ve got job offer with H1 in USA-New Jersey. H1 process will take at least 6 months but its gona start from now and the company wants my 100% commitment otherwise there visa process will go in vain.

Now I’m confused I should wait for the HSMP (which is not 100% guaranteed) or i should accept this H1 opportunity. Plz comment HSMP vs H1 pros n cons.

Thanks
Faraz

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:19 pm

there is no answer that works for everyone but here is my take :

- Are you sure your H-1 app will be approved ? Bear in mind there are quotas and they also need to go through an approval process from the INS - so it is not 100% guaranteed either. I would wait till I had confirmation that my H-! petition has been approved. Till then I suspect there is no decision to make. You can make the commitment to the company contingent on the success of the H-1 and it would be entirely reasonable to tell them as the H-1 is not guranteed, you need to keep your HSMP inplay ( if you have to tell them at all).

- With an h-1 you would be tied to a particular employer and changing employers would involve another application to the INS and may not be very easy. HSMP gets you full flexibility to do pretty much whatever you want and change jobs as you see fit. You can even be a freelancer.

- Finally there is a question of which country you want to live and work in and the professional opportunities available. Only you can answer that !

farazfastian

Post by farazfastian » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:22 pm

well lemess, i really appreciate such a considerable reply..u'v mentioned all valid points.. but just tell me one thing, lets say i go for H1 and this is for sure that it'll take atleast 6 months and before that i get approval from HSMP lets say in coming 1-2 months then if i wait for H1 it'll again be a risk and at the same time my hsmp visa will be a waste as well. i'm confused :(

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:48 pm

Lets assume that is exactly your scenario. In 1-2 months you have your approval letter in hand and you wonder if it is a risk to wait for your H1 to materialise. Since you are so keen to hedge your bets - you could delay coming to the UK for as long as possible - thereby keeping your chances to come to the UK alive if there are problems with your H1.

- Delay your EC by 2 months. I think you have 3 months from the date of approval to apply for EC before it gets invalidated. Get your paperwork in order and apply by your second month - dont wait until the end of your 3 months because you need to keep some bufffer time in case EC is not straight forward.
- At the time of EC, request for the visa to be deferred by 3 months and give a proper reason for this like time to wrap up things at your end. Deferring your visa date is however a discretion that the visa officer may or may not excerise.
This should give you another 4-5 months to decide which side of the atlantic you want to go. If your H1 is delayed yet more and you want to wait, you could come in 1 month or 2 from the date of your visa and it shouldnt be a problem for your HSMP extension. If by that time you are still undecided, then I would say you are at risk.

Good luck in your endevours.

farazfastian

Post by farazfastian » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:18 pm

Thanks MWazir you are always cooperative, well i'm kinda guy who use to share matter with friends in order to find better solution of it and u guys has explored almost all possibilities with me, now i'll take my decision keeping the findings in my mind

regards
faraz

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:09 pm

You are more welcome.

Please keep us informed which way you decided to go in the end. Also, if I remember correctly, you had a positive NARIC assessment and still had problems getting points for degree. What happened about that? Did you go in for an appeal and you are waiting the outcome? Or are you applying afresh?

farazfastian

Post by farazfastian » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:02 pm

yeah u r abs rite, its been a month i'm waiting for the review decision. I'v called them twice and have send couple of emails but still its not been assigned to any caseworker :( , strange. Decision on my application was taken in just 1 day and review even not been assinged.

regards
faraz

pateketu

Post by pateketu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:41 pm

One thing you want to consider is even if you come on H1, What after H1?greencard process is very long and frustrating.

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:24 am

Faraz,

If you are married, your spouse would come on a H4 and H4 Visa Holders don't have work rights in US. (One more point to add as a comparison between H4 and H1B).

You may have to do a real fight getting it converted to H1B.

Cheers,
sjgul.

simar

Post by simar » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:16 pm

Yeah, I also have same confusion as my employer offer me H1B option so that I take back my resignation(after i got EC ). But I guess with HSMP your options are much more in terms of finding new job or simply working as contractor with own company etc.
BUT one thing is their. US is US. SO open space , wide roads, longs cars, Big houses & many job options. NO other country give all things at same time.

kumi

support

Post by kumi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:09 pm

my 2 pences....

on H1b, you are on work permit (similar to UK) bound to an employer and green card status is a far away dream whcih now a days does not happen during your validity of H1b. (around 6 years).. but, on HSMP, when you land in UK, you have a green card (UK terms) .. you are free to work for any employer, get your family., your spouse can work. In five years, you have a british passport. From H1b to US passport, its a distant dream approx 10-15 years. Given a chance, i will take up HSMP over H1b. Disads may be that UK is relatively costly place to survive., but, with a decent job, you can make it and with more experience, life becomes more comfortable. Best thing I liked about US is that its a vast country and best suited for travel minded guys.., but.. thatz what vacations are meant for....

Korben Dallas

Post by Korben Dallas » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:17 am

simar wrote:BUT one thing is their. US is US. SO open space , wide roads, longs cars, Big houses & many job options. NO other country give all things at same time.
man... come and get things yourself. who told you that in the US all lays down in front of you?
1. you don't need a big car here. bmw 3 coupe is what you'll really appreciate.
2. I doubt you will find an open space in Manhattan or LA. go to the country (not to London or Birmingham) and you'll have acres of open space with excellent freshing air.
3. big house is same possible. want cheap - go Scotland, want townhouse - be ready to pay £££, but same thing in the US: no cheap houses in cute places mate, want big house in good location? be ready to spend $$$$$.

I would say - NO country in the world that could give all things at the same time unless you take them off yourself :wink: