ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1(G) Min earnings-£25k;min quali: Back to Graduate??

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukswus

Re: From the FT

Post by ukswus » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 pm

vip wrote:
gordon wrote:From the FT
Master's only' visa rule for migrants scrapped

By James Boxell, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: December 4 2009 02:00 | Last updated: December 4 2009 02:00
To counter accusations that the policy reversal will make migration too easy, the committee is increasing the level of salary that tier one migrants will need to have earned before coming to the UK. People holding a bachelor's degree will be guaranteed entry if they have previously earned the equivalent of £75,000 a year, while those with a masters degree will need to demonstrate a salary of at least £65,000. Applicants with PhDs will need to have earned £50,000.

People who have earned more than £150,000-a-year will be allowed into the UK even if they hold no kind of degree, after companies argued that many successful businessmen did not attend university.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/58786cea-e076 ... ab49a.html
Do you think the new rule will affect to only people who firstly enter into the UK to look for jobs? Those who have already stayed in the UK are exempted from this new rule, Right???
This recommendation seems to apply to the new applicants only:

2.28 We focus primarily in this report on policy
in relation to initial applications under
Tier 1 of the PBS, rather than applications
to switch from other routes (with the
exception of switching within Tier 1 from
the Post-Study Work Route (PSWR)).

2.65 The main focus of this report is on initial
applications under Tier 1 of the PBS,
although, in the case of this route,
in Chapter 8 we do briefly consider
extension applications too.

And this part is the most relevant one:

6.179 Our analysis and recommendations
primarily concern the features of a welldesigned
route for regulating new highly
skilled immigration from outside the
UK. We have not considered in depth
the issue of how our recommendations
should be applied to immigrants already
in the UK looking to extend their stay
through this route, as we see this as an
operational decision for the Government.
However, our general view is that, where
an individual has operated within the
existing rules and requirements, there
is a case for putting in place transitional
arrangements that would prevent a
sudden and unexpected raising of the bar
for that person.

“Effectively raising the bar … might create
problems for those who have qualified under
the current PBS but who apply for extensions
in the future. If the bar is to be raised, then
consideration needs to be given to employees
in this situation to ensure that they are treated
fairly. For the TUC this should mean they
remain subject to the same rules as those
applied when they first applied to work in
the UK.â€

camcan

Post by camcan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:25 pm

ukswus wrote:
vip wrote:
gordon wrote:From the FT
Master's only' visa rule for migrants scrapped

By James Boxell, Home Affairs Correspondent
Published: December 4 2009 02:00 | Last updated: December 4 2009 02:00
To counter accusations that the policy reversal will make migration too easy, the committee is increasing the level of salary that tier one migrants will need to have earned before coming to the UK. People holding a bachelor's degree will be guaranteed entry if they have previously earned the equivalent of £75,000 a year, while those with a masters degree will need to demonstrate a salary of at least £65,000. Applicants with PhDs will need to have earned £50,000.

People who have earned more than £150,000-a-year will be allowed into the UK even if they hold no kind of degree, after companies argued that many successful businessmen did not attend university.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/58786cea-e076 ... ab49a.html
Do you think the new rule will affect to only people who firstly enter into the UK to look for jobs? Those who have already stayed in the UK are exempted from this new rule, Right???

for that person.

the UK.â€

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:52 pm

camcan wrote:
ukswus wrote:
vip wrote:

for that person.

the UK.â€

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi Guys, I have been reading the discussion in the post!!! The goverment is all out ot curtail NON EEA/EU citizen from flooding the market with a lower skillset.

I appreciate their move to tighten the immigration and non eea/eu citizen is a good starting point. My heart goes all out to those aspiring to come to the UK like me for a better life. However UK has the right to amend their laws and let whom they want to in the country.

Unfortunately they have opened the flood gates to the EEU and are unable to control who enters the country from that option. The flood is risin and taking most of the low income jobs in the UK. Hence letting skilled employes in and they they take add to the list of low skilled jobs just wont work..

Hope all new entrants are given a chance in some form or the other!!!! We can only hope that they set fair expectation when they implement their new rules!!!

lilly09

Post by lilly09 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:14 pm

How altruist of you!

lilly09

Post by lilly09 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:06 pm

vinata wrote:While i agree that the proposed scheme is not particularly good for immigrants, i believe it is fair. It is also obvious that there would be fewer applicants who could qualify for the new criteria, but in the same time only those who are really highly skilled would be able to apply.

I have seen too many low qualified people or non-qualified at all who simply exploited the system in order to work, and in fact, most of them earn now between 17,000 and 25,000. So, do they really highly skilled? The answer is obvious.

I believe it all happened because the government had an objective to let younger people into the country so they can pay tax and support retiring persons in the UK. Now, the shift is towards skills and experience, no matter whether you are young or not. In a couple of years, the emphasis could be on something else, but it is highy unlikely the immigration system would become more comfortable for immigrants in the future.

The reality is that (if you read the polls) once you are an immigrant, you are happy with immigration rules because they offer you a route to a citizenship. But once you are a citizen, you would no longer favour the immigration system, as all newcommers are likely to compete with you and take out your jobs. And, believe me, most of my friends with indefinite leave to remain now think that immigration levels should be substantially reduced and immidiately. So, this issue is twofold and the only way to balance this situation is to introduce more effective immigration barriers. I could be wrong, but this post comes from my experience.
Excuse me, are you the one who couldn't maintain a balance of only £800 for three months in a row to get a PSW, who seems now undaunted by the challenge of earning as a fresh university graduate at least twice as much a year as the estimated average UK salary to remain in the country?

I wish I were you...NOT!

npanglia

Any News!

Post by npanglia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:42 am

Any News/ Update on when the changes are going to be introduced in the system?
IF they are going to be introduced or not?

hsmpaspirant2008

Post by hsmpaspirant2008 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 am

Does this mean that someone who does not get any age points right now but earns above £40,000 to get 45 poitnts, have to earn above £75,000 to make the same?

This will turn away a lot of high earning individuals - read as high tax payers(HO thinks that is not enough is a different issue).

I am yet to meet someone who is a permanent employee still under (Tier1 or HSMP) who makes more than £75,000.

For heaven's sake there are not a lot of people in UKBA or HO making this kind of money through their employment.

Looks like these recommendations were written by someone who had lost the sense of value for money. I have a fair expectation that these people have an understanding on what the average earnings in the country is and what the economy is like.

If they make this as a rule for extension also, I will not qualify and cannot see any possible way of qualifying.

Really unfair scales for immigrant and hope this does not get implemented.

True, that Britain has been flooded with immigrant snatching up low skilled - low wage jobs that could otherwise be taken up by British who if employed will reduce the strain on public services ( benefits ???), Looks like there are knocking on the wrong door since they have no clue of the problem and absolute no clue on how to resolve it.

Tweaking policy for immigration who cannot claim any benefits and where 100% of tier 1 immigrant pay taxes and making life for these people is not a wise decision.

Ok, done with my ranting for now.

Have a good day everyone.
push wrote:Ultimately everything boils down to this

Image.

I reckon that the recommendations might be implemented soon sans the Graduate one!!

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 am

Well then, if I have to add a bit (more?) of confusion, I have to say that there should be points for the part of country one works in.

The salaries of people for the SAME kind of job differ greatly between South and North (East or West either!) with most of the Highly skilled work force staying around London/South. Clearly London is a lot costlier than any city in the North, which explains with reason, the reason behind higher salaries. I would think that a good number of those 67% of £40K earners work in or around London, though I may be wrong. For a similar job in North of England, there is not a great chance of one earning more than £35K.

Well... any thoughts on this ?! :)

FC

shinelagoon
Newly Registered

Post by shinelagoon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 pm

those who got their ILR consider them British, no matters than they were sometimes on the same boat of struggling immigrants........ at-least one could expect from them is that they shouldn't call anyone dearly beloved if something happens to them in future, OR is that a facial thinking. If for god sake something really good happens to once upon a time your home country in future, and it will be considered as a more favored destination then you may not hesitate calling yourself a true patriot, a real thinker that should without a doubt get a chance to settle back in homeland on xyz grounds......... the word is 'Hypocrites', isn't it what we are. Let those decide about the welfare of their economy who are running it from ages, you and me are coming from the same origin and the only difference is of time. If you consider yourself a good human being then try acting upon it all times.

Besides, the recommendations given by MAC are too vague in nature OR they should straight say it on face of all that we now don't need you guys here anymore. Funniest part is that the media has published this all with a headline that 'Tier 1 General Category may get easier'.

The fact is, those who will be considered as highly migrants in their homeland, like if we say a 30 year old Indian who is earning Rs.55000/month if somehow decides to migrate to UK with an initial 2 year HSMP (after new rules), then how much he'll be struggling in finding a £40000/year job while in UK in the present situation. And if he may not find that kind of job within one year of his stay in UK then he won't get a chance of 3 years extension on his present HSMP, and he finally have to leave. So in all he took a risk leaving his present occupation(which was decent enough) only to struggle for two whole year to achieve something impossible and then come back empty handed with a lot of stress. NOW who will justify this if you consider yourself a rational person.

No issues with anyone but the recommendations are highly flawed and can't be called EASY.

ozgrant

Post by ozgrant » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 am

silverTR wrote:so people , when should we expect the changes?
Any predictions for when/if these changes will be implemented?

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 am

shinelagoon wrote:those who got their ILR consider them British, no matters than they were sometimes on the same boat of struggling immigrants........ at-least one could expect from them is that they shouldn't call anyone dearly beloved if something happens to them in future, OR is that a facial thinking. If for god sake something really good happens to once upon a time your home country in future, and it will be considered as a more favored destination then you may not hesitate calling yourself a true patriot, a real thinker that should without a doubt get a chance to settle back in homeland on xyz grounds......... the word is 'Hypocrites', isn't it what we are. Let those decide about the welfare of their economy who are running it from ages, you and me are coming from the same origin and the only difference is of time. If you consider yourself a good human being then try acting upon it all times.

Besides, the recommendations given by MAC are too vague in nature OR they should straight say it on face of all that we now don't need you guys here anymore. Funniest part is that the media has published this all with a headline that 'Tier 1 General Category may get easier'.

The fact is, those who will be considered as highly migrants in their homeland, like if we say a 30 year old Indian who is earning Rs.55000/month if somehow decides to migrate to UK with an initial 2 year HSMP (after new rules), then how much he'll be struggling in finding a £40000/year job while in UK in the present situation. And if he may not find that kind of job within one year of his stay in UK then he won't get a chance of 3 years extension on his present HSMP, and he finally have to leave. So in all he took a risk leaving his present occupation(which was decent enough) only to struggle for two whole year to achieve something impossible and then come back empty handed with a lot of stress. NOW who will justify this if you consider yourself a rational person.

No issues with anyone but the recommendations are highly flawed and can't be called EASY.
It is indeed mission impossible. I think only around 20-30% of initial Tier-1 holder will survive the extension if this rule implemented.