ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage visa for expired student visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

james1984
Newly Registered

Marriage visa for expired student visa

Post by james1984 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Hello friends,
Plz do answer my all question,will be huge favour,very huge,plz.

I came in UK on student visa,applied for PSW,got refused with deception.My student visa also expired now.
Could you please guide me abt marriage visa application.
I have a English girl friend. If i marry her will Home Office issue me a certificate of approval?
My visa is expired and my appeal is under progress. I have not been asked to leave UK yet until appeal is decided.
Will I have to go back to back home to apply for certificate of approval bcaz i dont have any visa now?

Will they grant me marriage visa?
I know i cant make anyother visa application bcaz of deception but under human rights home office has said I can make marrriage visa application.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Marriage visa for expired student visa

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:22 pm

james1984 wrote:Hello friends,

I came in UK on student visa,applied for PSW,got refused with deception.My student visa also expired now.
I have a English girl friend. If i marry her will Home Office issue me a certificate of approval?
My visa is expired and my appeal is under progress. I have not been asked to leave UK yet until appeal is decided.
Will I have to go back to back home to apply for certificate of approval bcaz i dont have any visa now?

I know i cant make anyother visa application bcaz of deception but under human rights home office has said I can make marrriage visa application.
If u've used deception you'll be refused a marriage visa.

Human rights not an issue you can live as a couple in your home country.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi

Would you quote exact refusal like 320(11)? If you have been accused of deception then you have been banned for up to 10 years.

Second you can not get COA with a expired visa...I heard they refused to register a marriage if you have no visa..So you have zero chance for COA.

Even you got COA you have no chance for spouse visa..Indeed home office would have your immigration history..

So in my view you have no chance except wasting monies.

UK_Banned_Member
Please always seek legal advise from OSIC consultant or immigration solicitor.These are my personal views gain through experience or study.

UK_Banned_Member

james1984
Newly Registered

Post by james1984 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Tier1 PSW refused under Paragragh 322(1A)
I made the student visa extension application after this,it is refused because of previous deception.

It says on both applications refusal letters:

Future applications for entry clearance or leave to enter the UK will not be refused under paragraph 320(7B)if you making an application as:
1-a spouse,civil partner etc.. under paragraph 281 or 295A of the immigration rules.
2-a spouse,civil partner,unmarreid or same sex partner of a refugee or person with Humanitarian protection under paragraph 352A,352 AA,352FA, or 352FD

The above is enough to prove that marriage visa application can be made.

Now about my visa expiry and application for marriage visa. I dont have reference yet but I have been told that on Marriage visa form and in general U can still make marriage visa application even ur visa expired but u need to explain the reasons which in my case would be Passport being held by home office to decide my PSW and Student visa applications

I really appreciate ur replies as I have not got any option except to marry my English girl friend and get visa.Plz do guide me with my queries.

james1984
Newly Registered

Plz see below abt marriage application after Deception

Post by james1984 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 pm

RFL5.3 How long are applicants automatically refused for?

If an applicant falls to be refused under 320(7B), applications must be refused for the following periods:

1 year if they left the UK voluntarily, whether or not at public expense;
5 years if they left UK voluntarily, at public expense;
10 years if they were removed or deported from the UK;
10 years if they practised deception (which includes using false documentation) in support of a previous visa application.
Where an applicant has overstayed, breached a condition of leave, was an illegal entrant or used deception in a leave to remain application, the automatic refusal period is dated from the date the applicant left the UK. Where an applicant has used deception in a visa application, the automatic refusal period is dated from the date (in which deception was used) was refused.

But passengers who have been refused at a port of entry, and have complied with the terms and conditions placed upon them by the refusing port, are only subject to a one year refusal period.

Where more than one breach of the UK’s immigration laws has occurred, only the breach which leads to the longest automatic refusal period from the UK will be taken into account.

For example, an applicant left the UK voluntarily at her own expense in January 2008 and applied for entry clearance using false documents in February 2008. Any subsequent entry clearance application must be automatically refused for 10 years, until February 2018. This is the longer refusal period where deception has been used in an entry clearance application. The shorter refusal period of 1 year for leaving the UK voluntarily is not applicable.

RFL5.4 When does rule 320 (7B) not apply? Rule 320 (7C)

Under paragraph 320(7C) of the immigration rules, you must not refuse an applicant under 320(7B) if they are applying in the following categories:

Spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner (Paragraphs 281 or 295A);
Fiancé(e), or proposed civil partner (Paragraph 290);
Parent, grandparent or other dependant relative (Paragraph 317);
Spouse, civil partner, or unmarried or same-sex partner of a refugee or person with humanitarian protection (Paragraphs 352A, AA, FA. FD);
Those applying to exercise rights of access to a child (Paragraph 246);
They were under the age of 18 at the time of the most recent breach of the UK’s immigration laws.
As concessions outside the Rules, you should also not refuse an applicant under 320(7B) if:

the applicant has been accepted by UKBA as a victim of trafficking (see RFL 5.7)
the applicant was in the UK illegally on or after 17 March 2008 and left the UK voluntarily before 1 October 2008 (see RFL 5.6)
In addition you must not refuse an applicant under 320(7B) if:

false documents or false representations were used in a previous visa or leave to enter or remain application, and the applicant was not aware that the documents or representations were false;
the period specified for automatically refusing applications has expired; or
following their breach of UK immigration laws, UKBA issued a visa or leave to enter or remain in the knowledge of that breach e.g. a student who has overstayed but was granted LTE following an out of time application.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/refusa ... r#21404375

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 pm

If u've used deception u will be refused. Did u use deception?

james1984
Newly Registered

Post by james1984 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Wanderer wrote:If u've used deception u will be refused. Did u use deception?
Look Wanderer,
Please read my above posts and comment on those as they say even whatever u done under certain rules ur application for marraige wont be refused.

Ur question is very weird at this point of discussion.
My PSW is refused cuz of deception,i appealed and it is still in progress.
I will appreciate if next time u reply as per my request for guidance rather than jumping to irrelevant questions.
My question is as per above where home office guidance clearly states ur application wont be refused if it is under spouse visa application, could u clarify as per my particular case.

Also my leave is expired now,can i still make request for certificate of approval?

james1984
Newly Registered

plz clarify as my visa expired and now appeal in progress

Post by james1984 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 pm

My student visa expired and appeal is in process for for refusal bcaz of deception for PSW. After reading below what u say ? will I be given Certificate of Appreoval?

2. I WANT TO GET MARRIED OR REGISTER MY CIVIL PARTNERSHIP IN THE UK AND I
AM ALREADY IN THE COUNTRY
2.1 If you
(a) are an EEA (European Economic Area) national exercising rights of residence
in the UK, or
(b) are the family member of an EEA national exercising rights of residence in the
UK, or
(c) have settled status in the UK (i.e. are free of any restriction on the period for
which you may remain; this is normally signified by an indefinite leave to enter or
remain stamp or residence permit in your passport)
then you will not require a certificate of approval for marriage or civil partnership
in order to be able to give to a registrar notice to marry or register your civil
partnership.
2.2 If you do not fall into category (a) or (b) or (c) at para. 2.1 above, you will
need to apply for a certificate of approval from the Home Office (unless you
benefit from the present exemption set out at section 5.1 of this note).
3. CHANGES TO THE CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL (COA) SCHEME
3.1 The original scheme required an applicant to have current leave to enter or
remain in the UK for more than six months, and for at least three months of that
leave to be remaining when the applicant made his COA application.
CHANGES TO THE SCHEME FOLLOWING THE HIGH COURT JUDGEMENT OF 10 APRIL
3.2. Following a judgement in the High Court amendments to the scheme were
introduced for applicants who had insufficient leave to enter or remain in the UK
to meet the published certificate of approval (COA) criteria when applying.
[Insufficient leave originally meant that the person was granted six months leave
to enter/remain or less, and had less than three months leave remaining.]
3.3 Under these new procedures if you were a person who had insufficient leave
to enter or remain at the time of applying for a COA, we may write to you asking
that you submit further information in support of your application to enable us to
be satisfied that your proposed marriage or civil partnership is genuine. Any such
letter from us will ask for information about:-
• when, where and how you and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner met
when you decided to marry or enter into a civil partnership
• where you intend to live if permitted to marry or to enter into a civil
partnership in the UK
• arrangements for any religious ceremony, including the nature of the
ceremony, the person conducting it and relevant contact details
• arrangements for any reception or celebration, including details of the
location, proof of booking and relevant contact
• your relationship with your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner if you are not
living together (e.g. letters and photographs as evidence of the
relationship)
• your life with your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner if you are living together,
including the address(es), how long you have lived together and
documentary evidence in the form of correspondence addressed to both
of you at the same address from utilities, government bodies, local
authorities, financial institutions etc
• any children from your and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil partner’s present
or previous relationships, including where they now live, the length of time
any of them have lived with you, the names of their natural parents and
who supports them
• contact telephone numbers for yourself and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil
partner in case an officer wishes to contact either of you
• any additional information about yourself and your fiancé(e)/proposed civil
partner which you would like us to know about, and/or any additional
supporting evidence or documentation which might help your application.
3.4 The letter asking for this information will explain that your answers will have
to be provided in separate affidavits clearly signed and dated by you and your
fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner.
3.5 An affidavit is a written statement signed on oath and witnessed by a
qualified solicitor or notary public. It is a serious offence under section 2 of the
Perjury Act 1911 wilfully to make a material statement in an affidavit which you
know to be false or do not believe to be true. The offence is triable either way i.e.
in the Magistrates Court and in the Crown Court. In the Crown Court, the
maximum penalty is 7 years imprisonment and/or a fine.
3.6 It is important to note that, since the above changes, the COA scheme has
been revised further, and that you need to read the following section in order to
understand the present scheme.

3.9 The following points summarise the amendments.
• Applications from individuals who previously did not meet the criteria for a
certificate of approval, but who have some valid leave to enter or remain
at the time of their application, will continue to be considered in line with
the current guidance. (See 3.3 above)
Applications from those individuals who do not have valid leave to enter or
remain (illegal entrants, persons who have been refused leave to enter, but
granted temporary admission or temporary admission pending the outcome of an
application for leave to enter, and those who have overstayed their leave to
remain) who have until now been refused unless there are exceptional
compassionate circumstances for granting a certificate of approval will be treated
in line with the current guidance for those who have limited, but insufficient, leave
to qualify for a COA. This is the guidance set out at 3.3 above. Where a person
without leave to remain applies for a certificate of approval the Home Office will
(as in all cases where we discover a person present illegally) consider whether or
not enforcement action should be initiated, in addition to considering the
application for the certificate of approval.
Applicants who applied under the original scheme, who at the time of their
application had limited, but insufficient leave to enter or remain to qualify and
were refused a certificate of approval may submit a request for reconsideration of
their application. These requests will require the submission of evidence as
stated in the amended guidance (see 3.3 above).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 pm

james1984 wrote:
Look Wanderer,
Please read my above posts and comment on those as they say even whatever u done under certain rules ur application for marraige wont be refused.

I will appreciate if next time u reply as per my request for guidance rather than jumping to irrelevant questions.
My question is as per above where home office guidance clearly states ur application wont be refused if it is under spouse visa application, could u clarify as per my particular case.

Also my leave is expired now,can i still make request for certificate of approval?
NO YOU CAN'T.

CoA is not a visa nor does it convey any form of leave to remain.

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 am

Hi
Wanderer wrote:
james1984 wrote:
Look Wanderer,

NO YOU CAN'T.

CoA is not a visa nor does it convey any form of leave to remain.

Your any future application would be refused until 10 years.Unless you prove in an appeal that you were wrongly accused of deception otherwise you have no chance.

If you have pending appeal then try to remove deception charges...Otherwise you are banned for 10 years even you got marriage..

UK_Banned_Member
Please always seek legal advise from OSIC consultant or immigration solicitor.These are my personal views gain through experience or study.

UK_Banned_Member

james1984
Newly Registered

Why dont u explain as per home office rules

Post by james1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 am

please read below and above comments.
Future applications for entry clearance or leave to enter the UK will not be refused under paragraph 320(7B)if you making an application as:
1-a spouse,civil partner etc.. under paragraph 281 or 295A of the immigration rules.
2-a spouse,civil partner,unmarreid or same gender partner of a refugee or person with Humanitarian protection under paragraph 352A,352 AA,352FA, or 352FD

what is this then if every future application will be refused?
Could you be kind enogh to explain with any of home office rules instead of issuing king style verdicts in two lines.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 am

The difficulty is the act of deception.

This means the ECO will look at every application with an element of deception

Your marriage may be seen as a last ditch attempt to stay in the UK and the ECO may find it not to be a genuine relationship.

If you were reveal the deception used then more people may be able to help you being specific instead of giving vague advice

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:16 pm

James,

The paragraphs you mention refer to already married or people in durable relation akin marriage.

I understood you are not married or in durable relation and therefore it does not apply to you.

As was already pointed out COA doesn't legalise your stay. COA is more of a confirmation to a registrar that UKBA is aware that you will be attempting to get married at certain location and at certain time.

COA doesn't mean you will be able to get married it's more of a pointer for UKBA as to where and when they can find you to arrest. At least that's what was shown on UK Border Force TV programme.

james1984
Newly Registered

Better to be quiet

Post by james1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm

BLK235 wrote:James,

The paragraphs you mention refer to already married or people in durable relation akin marriage.

I understood you are not married or in durable relation and therefore it does not apply to you.

As was already pointed out COA doesn't legalise your stay. COA is more of a confirmation to a registrar that UKBA is aware that you will be attempting to get married at certain location and at certain time.

COA doesn't mean you will be able to get married it's more of a pointer for UKBA as to where and when they can find you to arrest. At least that's what was shown on UK Border Force TV programme.
This is too impressive guys. Atleast u cant stop commenting though they r nonsense.
Could anyone tell me where it says u must be already married to apply for a spouse visa?
Im not illegal migrant,Im on legal status,got address,got NI number,Home office already knows where im living and all about me,Why they need my Certificate of approval to find my address and arrest me?
If it is required Home Office can arrest me now without need of this certificate of Approval.

The paragraph i m referring to where it says u already need to be married?

Simple is guys here just want to comment does not matter how invalid or nonsense it is.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:15 pm

james1984, you can only apply for a spouse visa from outside the UK. If you were planning to do that, then you could leave the UK, marry your partner, and then apply to return as a spouse.

As a spouse you could not be refused under Rule 320(7B), but you would have to disclose your previous refusal for deception. Do NOT think that an ECO won't look for other ways to refuse you (genuine marriage, funds etc.).

And look at Rule 320(7A). If you have used false documents or made false representations in a previous application, the spouse exemption does not apply. You could also be refused under 320(11) ("contrived in a significant way to frustrate the intentions of the rules").

THat's why we need to know more about your PSW refusal and the nature of the "deception".

However, I disagree with some of the other posts about the COA. If you have Section 3C protection (i.e. if you are exercising a right of appeal in an application submitted before your previous visa expired), then I don't see why you shouldn't at least apply for a COA while the appeal is ongoing. To others: am I missing something?

Of couse, if the appeal fails, then the COA won't provide you with any extra help. You will still have to leave, and you will probably have problems returning.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Better to be quiet

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Simple is guys here just want to comment does not matter how invalid or nonsense it is.[/quote]

I HAVE NOT READ IN THE T & C's ANYWHERE WHERE IT SAYS ANSWERS MUST MEET POSTERS APPROVAL

YET ANOTHER CHERRY PICKER

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:29 pm

I love seeing posters who are trying to circumvent the Home Office rules and after using deception expect to stay here after many people here are seperated from their loved ones by following the rules.They are happy to stay in the UK and hide from the authorities until they want something then they feign innocence.
As I type this I am watching on Sky tv an Indian man being arrested at the registry office minutes before his wedding.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:55 pm

james1984 wrote:
This is too impressive guys. Atleast u cant stop commenting though they r nonsense.
Could anyone tell me where it says u must be already married to apply for a spouse visa?
Im not illegal migrant,Im on legal status,got address,got NI number,Home office already knows where im living and all about me,Why they need my Certificate of approval to find my address and arrest me?
If it is required Home Office can arrest me now without need of this certificate of Approval.

The paragraph i m referring to where it says u already need to be married?

Simple is guys here just want to comment does not matter how invalid or nonsense it is.
Spouse = wife = married, what's hard to understand about that?

Redux: U are on an expired visa, made a fraudulent PSW visa application, and you've appealed presumably because you've no valid leave since right of appeal is only granted to those without LTR.

If u request a CoA, and marry you will still be required to leave the UK and apply for a spouse visa from your home country. If u have no LTR there is no other way.

But, if you have used deception and it's proven then u won't get the spouse visa.

So, did u use deception? Or is the HO making it up?

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Are we sure the OP's visa expired before he applied for PSW? He says:
Then he says:
It sounds to me like he has Section 3C.

Of course unless he has a very good case to refute the allegation of deception then he will be out of luck anyway. I would imagine that a decision will be made on the appeal before he gets anywhere near a COA.

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:19 pm

james1984 wrote: Could anyone tell me where it says u must be already married to apply for a spouse visa?

If you're not married, you have to demonstrate that you are in a relationship akin to marriage. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... artners#Q6
How do I qualify to join my unmarried or same-sex partner in the UK?
You and your unmarried or same-sex partner must show that:

any previous marriage, civil partnership or similar relationship, has permanently broken down
you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for two years or more

james1984 wrote:The paragraph i m referring to where it says u already need to be married?

...if you making an application as: 1-a spouse,civil partner etc..

No one here specifically said you have to be married - BLK said "already married or people in durable relation akin marriage. If we are assuming that the 'etc' covers 'durable relationship', then this would be defined by the above i.e. living together for two years.
james1984 wrote:Im not illegal migrant,Im on legal status
What is your status, exactly? Because you started by saying
james1984 wrote:I came in UK on student visa,applied for PSW,got refused with deception.My student visa also expired now.

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 pm

stmellon wrote:
james1984 wrote: Could anyone tell me where it says u must be already married to apply for a spouse visa?

If you're not married, you have to demonstrate that you are in a relationship akin to marriage. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... artners#Q6
How do I qualify to join my unmarried or same-gender partner in the UK?
You and your unmarried or same-gender partner must show that:

any previous marriage, civil partnership or similar relationship, has permanently broken down
you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for two years or more

james1984 wrote:The paragraph i m referring to where it says u already need to be married?

...if you making an application as: 1-a spouse,civil partner etc..

No one here specifically said you have to be married - BLK said "already married or people in durable relation akin marriage. If we are assuming that the 'etc' covers 'durable relationship', then this would be defined by the above i.e. living together for two years.
james1984 wrote:Im not illegal migrant,Im on legal status
What is your status, exactly? Because you started by saying
james1984 wrote:I came in UK on student visa,applied for PSW,got refused with deception.My student visa also expired now.
Ok let me summaries all story.

You have no valid leave(visa) or if you applied for spouse visa,it would be refused straight away with no right of appeal.

So you have no chance inside UK even got COA.I doubt you would get COA as a overstayer.Not easy thing in these days in UK.

If you got married and applied for spouse visa outside UK then you have to meet all requirements of spouse visa like maintenance and accommodation.But problem is your deception and it is a very good chance that you would be refused on deception.So really difficult to get visa..may be you can win on appeal but you know how much time appeal are taking these days.

UK_Banned_Member

UK_Banned_Member

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 am

james1984 wrote:Hello friends,

First of all your current visa is expired so you can not apply for CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL OF MARRIAGE.

2ndly, For COA, you must have 3 to 6 months ( double check ) valid visa on your passport.

3rd, without COA, you can not registre you marriage in UK.
4th, without registration you can not apply for 2 years spouse visa.
5th, without 2 year spouse visa you can not apply ILR( under SET-M)
6th, without ILR you can not apply for naturalizaiton/citizenship
7th, without Naturalization certificate you can not apply British Passport.

Intotal, you must have visa on your passport. No visa No further journey.

The one and only option is to go back to your home country with your girl friend :arrow: Get marriage :arrow: apply for spouse visa :arrow: come to uk :arrow: pass like in uk test and apply ILR ( after expiry of ur spouse visa ) :arrow: get Ilr :arrow: apply for naturalization :arrow: get a passport. 8) as simple is that. :roll: ( if present immigration rules stay same )
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Tim555 wrote

First of all your current visa is expired so you can not apply for CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL OF MARRIAGE.
He said he was in the process of appealing a PSW application. If he has a valid appeal going, and Section 3C protection, then his visa is treated as continuing.
2ndly, For COA, you must have 3 to 6 months ( double check ) valid visa on your passport.
This is not the case. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

The things I am still not clear on are whether the OP:

(1) applied for his PSW visa before his previous student visa expired and

(2) the nature of the deception that he is alleged to have committed, and how likely he is to be able to refute the allegation on appeal.

ld10

Post by ld10 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Thats not true .You can apply for COA with visa without visa or even if your passport empty witout any visas(under EU law of human rights),althougth certain points must be met.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:54 pm

ld10 wrote:First of all your current visa is expired so you can not apply for CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL OF MARRIAGE.

Thats not true .You can apply for COA with visa without visa or even if your passport empty witout any visas(under EU law of human rights),althougth certain points must be met.
Explain? Anyone can apply for any visa/CoA under any status, 100% refusal but u can apply...

So why?