ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Five year qualification rule?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mei00
Newly Registered

Five year qualification rule?

Post by mei00 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am

Hi,

I am currently on an hsmp visa, applying for tier 1 extension and my lawyer just informed me that she doesn't think that I will get points for the qualification section of my application because my degree was awarded more than 5 years ago.

I've never seen anything about this on the rules, can someone please point it out as I'm very worried about this!!

mianrm

Post by mianrm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi,

My Degree was like 10 years old and i came here in UK on HSMP , got my tier 1 extesion last month and got Qualification Points.

Infact in Qualification section there is a option which says
Already Proved my Qualification with Initial HSMP Application, i have ticked that and also provided my Orignal Degree.

I Think your lawyer playing the tricks to get more money out of you.

Best Regards
mianrm

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:57 pm

she doesn't think that I will get points for the qualification section of my application because my degree was awarded more than 5 years ago.

Never heard of this before...

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:06 pm

IMHO you should change your solicitor mate
if the guy doesn't know this he doesn't know anything

if you have already claimed points on that degree in your previous tier 1/hsmp application you don't even have to send the degree and claim points

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: Five year qualification rule?

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:28 pm

mei00 wrote:Hi,

I am currently on an hsmp visa, applying for tier 1 extension and my lawyer just informed me that she doesn't think that I will get points for the qualification section of my application because my degree was awarded more than 5 years ago.

I've never seen anything about this on the rules, can someone please point it out as I'm very worried about this!!
I doubt know if your solicitor is confused about the Previous UK Experience (Study) Initial applications only.. on page 29 of 45 Paragraph 153 - 163

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

which says...
163. To assess whether the qualification was awarded within the last five years, the date of award will be taken as the date upon which the applicant was first notified in writing, by the awarding institution, that it had been awarded. This date must be no more than five years prior to the date of application.

Did you complete your DEGREE in UK? If not you dont need to worry about the 5years thing;

Goodluck mate..

Saga

Post by Saga » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 pm

I think the 5 year rule for degree is to claim the UK experience points (if you are claiming them from education) and not for qualification points.

mei00
Newly Registered

Post by mei00 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks all. I thought my lawyer got that bit confused too and I mentioned it to her but she still insists it's for qualification section (not the uk experience section).

I asked her to show me where it says it in the guidance and she couldn't point me anywhere, so I think (hoping!) she must have got that wrong...