ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current passport expiring in 4 months and ILR due

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

smartchap2k

Current passport expiring in 4 months and ILR due

Post by smartchap2k » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi all

My ILR (set O)is due in March and my passport is expiring in July 2010. - i.e. well with in 6 months of the date of applicaiton for ILR

Gurus, experts,moderators and all dear friends

Can you please if there is a requirement that current passport should be valid for at least 6 more months from the date of application.

Well, this was a requirement whenever i have applied for Visit visa of other countries ( i.e. Canada, USA, Sweden and France),
however i have not came across anything in the guidance form of SET (0) regarding any minimum duration the current passport should be valid from the date of applicaiton.

Please help !

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: Current passport expiring in 4 months and ILR due

Post by wunder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 pm

There is no such requirement for non-visit visas/permit.

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Many thanks for the prompt response Wunder.

are we sure about this? is it documented anywhere?

Sorry for these questions ! but i just want to double check as u can imagine going through the trouble of getting again a family appointment would be mental.. if i find out later that passport should be valid for 6 months from the date of applicaiton.

I welcome your comments as well as comments from any other members if they know something about this.

Many thanks once again buddy.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:32 pm

smartchap2k wrote:Less is more ! Dont volunteer information...
Not the right signature to have, at this moment. :wink:

It is the requirements that one needs to fulfil/meet that are published. "Non-requirements" don't get published. The IDI doesn't mention any such requirements either. IMHO .. if (still) in doubt, check with UKBA directly.

And do let me know what UKBA says ..... my partner's passport expires within 3 months of becoming eligible for ILR. :roll:

regards

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Sush,

Just checked with UKBA, No such requirements of having a valid passport for at least 6 months from the date of application exist for this kind of application.

In fact they said even if the passport is expiring in very near future, they would issue the ILR on a separate sheet and process of ILR would not be effected due to passport expiring in few months time..

hope it helps.

bani

Post by bani » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:17 pm

out of curiosity, is it a big hassle to renew your passport?

i ask because for convenience's sake, i prefer to have the ILR stamp on a new passport (rather than travel with 2 passports after july 2010).

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Well its not a big hassle Bani, but its the timescales of renewal with Indian emabssy.

they advise if its a part printed part hand written type of passport it will take about 30 to 40 working days to get a new one and obviously i would have missed my appointment for ILR during that time.

Therefore, the question originally !

bani

Post by bani » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 pm

thanks, i understand now. 40 days, that is excessive!

smartchap2k wrote:Well its not a big hassle Bani, but its the timescales of renewal with Indian emabssy.

they advise if its a part printed part hand written type of passport it will take about 30 to 40 working days to get a new one and obviously i would have missed my appointment for ILR during that time.

Therefore, the question originally !