ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Calls for a joint tourist visa with UK

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

archigabe

Calls for a joint tourist visa with UK

Post by archigabe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Calls grow for joint tourist visa with UK

Sounds like a great but politically unrealistic idea...but who knows, the schengen zone seemed impossible just a few years ago.

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:27 pm

i dont think so its possible
arsalan

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 am

zafarzafar wrote:i dont think so its possible
Why not?

I think it is imperative in order for the continuation of the Common Travel Area agreement, among other reasons. Bring it on.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Ben wrote:
zafarzafar wrote:i dont think so its possible
Why not?

I think it is imperative in order for the continuation of the Common Travel Area agreement, among other reasons. Bring it on.
Over 90% of our illegals come from the UK. Time to end the Common Travel Area.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 pm

IrishTom wrote:
Time to end the Common Travel Area.
Well, this cannot be true, twice in one day, Tom (or who ever took over his body) is fully correct.

Ireland should not be on the leash of the British. drawn to follow and obey
British immigration policy. Due to this so called Common Travel
Arrangement.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:54 pm

How are you going to end it Irishtom. Are you going to put a Patrol searching every single cars and creature travelling from Belfast to Dublin.

Or are you going to provide the cost of extra staff to do this, or stop Irish citizens who love to shop in Newry from doing so beacause of good bargin.

Are you going to fight the British away from the North and create a Unified Ireland (Far fetched)

You seem to be a bit clueless about the situation on the ground.

What are you still doing on this forum. I find you view more annoying than most of the people who got a ban recently.

You should be really happy that people go to Ireland, as frankly speaking Ireland hasn't got as much to offer as other continental locations.

Read some books pleace, or relocate to the North Pole, and set up your isolated enclave there.

Progressive people are discussing about positive ways forward for Ireland and its shattered economy, and you are coming in with you conservative , lovely views.

Thanks goodness you are not a policy marker, although i think some are worst than you in some respect, or else Ireland would be down the pit by now, EU or not.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Obie wrote:How are you going to end it Irishtom. Are you going to put a Patrol searching every single cars and creature travelling from Belfast to Dublin.
By putting an all Ireland(32 county) immigration service into force.

The rest of your post is meaningless, illiterate drivel.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Try saying that to unionist/loyalist and their paramilitries, and not me.

Why don't you pop up to Ulster and drop you proposal at Stormont.

Your hate for the immigrants, and furtherance of that purpose, will be the last thing on you priorities, when the loyalist gets hold of you, in queens country.

You really need to read history, and how the present status quo came about.

It is pointless arguing with you.

I think i will let the members of the forum decide on who is the true illiterate.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Obie wrote:Try saying that to unionist/loyalist and their paramilitries, and not me.
They were the first to call for an all Ireland immigration service.

Obie wrote:Your hate for the immigrants, and furtherance of that purpose, will be the last thing on you priorities, when the loyalist gets hold of you, in queens country.

What?

Obie wrote:You really need to read history, and how the present status quo came about.
I have an A1 in honours history.
Obie wrote:It is pointless arguing with you.
I have shown you up before and will do so again. Run along now, boy.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Please Tom, show your first class honours in action rather than words.

So far i haven't seen it.

My yonger brother who just took his GCSE, did a presentation on the situation in the 6 counties, and he seems more knowledgable than you i must say.

No disrespect. You might have experience on other conflicts in history, but certainly not the situation in Ulster, or how the Irish free state came into existence..

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Obie wrote: My yonger brother who just took his GCSE, did a presentation on the situation in the 6 counties, and he seems more knowledgable than you i must say.

No disrespect. You might have experience on other conflicts in history, but certainly not the situation in Ulster, or how the Irish free state came into existence..
I lived there, son. I had bricks thrown at me whilst I walked to school due to my religion(perceived).
Last edited by IrishTom on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Well i deeply sympathise with you situation, and i understand exactly what it is like to be on the wrong side of a conflict, however i still stand my ground, based on your statements and others, that Unionist would favour and all Ireland immigration policy excuted by Dublin, as this cannot be true, i stand to be proven wrong.

This would undermine the union and potentially threatened the soverignity of the Union, and the province in particular.

I would appreciate if you could forward a link that states this.

I personally believe it will advance tourism and be in Ireland's best interest to have a common visa system.

At the moment UK tourist can get into Ireland anyway, if the want to.

Why can it not be legalised and economic prosperity be brought about, and then Ireland can get a slice of the Visa fees and benefit from the tourist spending as stated on the link

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm

IrishTom wrote:I lived their, son. I had bricks thrown at me whilst I walked to school due to my religion(perceived).
Do not bite Tom , he is a unemployed little troll that is trying to bait a reaction out of you as he has nothing better to do. You seem to be his main target on this site , if you ignore him he will get bored and leave you alone in the future ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
as they are often creatures bent on mischief and wickedness
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

asrpb

Post by asrpb » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 pm

I lived there, son. I had bricks thrown at me whilst I walked to school due to my religion(perceived).
So that explains everything.
Were you hit really hard on your head :lol:

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Tom.
IrishTom wrote:By putting an all Ireland(32 county) immigration service into force.
Do you mean to suggest that British citizens should be subject to immigration control when moving from one part of the UK to another?

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Tom.
IrishTom wrote:By putting an all Ireland(32 county) immigration service into force.
Do you mean to suggest that British citizens should be subject to immigration control when moving from one part of the UK to another?
Define immigration controls?

A flash of the passport would suffice when travelling from NI to the UK.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:41 pm

IrishTom wrote:Define immigration controls?
As per..
IrishTom wrote:A flash of the passport would suffice when travelling from NI to the UK.
Ah, question answered (and I'm sure you meant to say "when travelling from NI to Britain.").

I personally don't agree that citizens should have to pass through immigration control when moving from one part of their country to another. Though I am aware that this practice is currently happening in Ireland, for example on domestic flights between Cork and Dublin.

I agree that probably most illegal immigrants to Ireland arrive from the UK. The CTA poses an illegal immigration loophole for both the UK and Ireland. The loophole was created when the UK / Ireland land border ceased to be controlled. I think we'd all prefer it this way than how it used to be.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:03 pm

IrishTom wrote: when travelling from NI to the UK.
I rest my case.

I keep saying that Tom doesn't know what he is talking about, but people don't seem to see the true extend of his problem.

This man is not aware of the countries that makes up the UK, even though he claimed to have lived in one of them.

This is truely serious.

What a backward system, for one to be in possession of a passport, in order to travel from one part of his country to another.

I hope the faculties of these people in Ireland or policy makers are all in working order. Perhaps they ought to be referred to the shrink (Psychiatrist Consultant), as i can't see the purpose of intra country border check.

I don't think an illegal immigrant will travel from Cork to Dublin via Air.

The purpose of this is simply to waste people's time.

Soon the will be asking immigrant for re-entry visa when they travel from Cork to Dublin

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Obie wrote:
IrishTom wrote: when travelling from NI to the UK.
I rest my case.

I keep saying that Tom doesn't know what he is talking about, but people don't seem to see the true extend of his problem.
The only thing resting is the chip on your shoulder.

The correct term is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

What is the point of the intense scrutiny in Dublin airport when anyone can enter unchecked via Northern Ireland? Indeed, the Government’s own statistics show 90 per cent of illegal immigrants enter that way. Why do we exclude people with UK visas from visiting here, when they can enter the state via Belfast if they so wish?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:50 pm

IrishTom wrote:
The correct term is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
There we go again, trying to defend the indefensible.

The fact that the UK is made up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, does not preclude Northern Ireland from the UK.

Perhaps if you had said, travel from NI to Great Britain, you would have had a defence.

It is inconcievable that people should travel within their country with a passport. I have never heard of this. It doesn't exist, except in Ireland of course. Then again i have always thought Ireland is unique or rather unorthodox in their pracitces.

The only way this situation can be solved to your satisfaction, is for NI to be unified with the Republic and border control establish between the 32 counties of Ireland and Great Britain.

I don't know about you, but i don't see this happening anytime soon. Even devolution of policing could not be agreed upon, nevermind the foundation of Unionist cause.

Even Sinn Féin who happens to be more optimistic than you, for a different reason and agenda of course, which happens to bear more legitimacy than yours, are of the strong belief that the dream they carry might not be realised in their life time.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 am

IrishTom wrote:The correct term is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Ah Tom, come on now! Don't say you're misinterpreting the title of the UK now, and that NI isn't part of the UK?

IrishTom wrote:What is the point of the intense scrutiny in Dublin airport when anyone can enter unchecked via Northern Ireland?
My understanding is that it's due to simple logistics - Irish airports do not have domestic channels for arriving flights, so every landing passenger passes through immigration control, even if arriving from within Ireland.

IrishTom wrote:Why do we exclude people with UK visas from visiting here, when they can enter the state via Belfast if they so wish?
Spot on, totally agree. That's why I said:
Ben wrote:I think it is imperative [that a common visa system is implemented] in order for the continuation of the Common Travel Area agreement, among other reasons.
  • Northern Ireland isn't going to cease being part of the UK any time soon.
  • Fixed border controls almost certainly will never be re-erected across the Ireland / Northern Ireland border.
  • A 32-county visa system will not happen, since this would mean the holder of such visa would be able to visit some of the UK but not all of it.
I could go on.

Let's face it - it's already easy enough for anybody to move among the CTA undetected, and that's not going to stop for the reasons already discussed. A common visa system would simply make this movement lawful, strengthening the CTA while facilitating more foreign visitors to Ireland. A common, Schengen-type visa system for Ireland and the UK (and islands) is the way forward. In my opinion, it's a no-brainer.