ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 - Is Bachelors degree eligible?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

renzokuken

Re: Tier 1 - Is Bachelors degree eligible?

Post by renzokuken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am

kju wrote:
i have my English assesment exam (IELTS) next week (i've been postponing that unfortunately :x ) and have to wait 2 weeks for results.. which means i can apply on 1.4. earliest

it might be a matter of days.. anyhow, i hate the uncertainty :?

any suggestions?
If the HO agent was right, then 1.4 still OK (last working day before 6.4). Then you still have a good chance to get tier-1 with the old rule. Just make sure you get minimum 6.5 for the IELTS

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 am

Still you have 35 points for earnings.

It's your call, of course. Just be mindful of very bad labor market conditions here, and the propensity of the HO to make the rules extremely unpredictable.

kju wrote:its 80 points total with master's degree (35) and 28 years old (10)
(+20 for english and maintenance funds = 100)
ukswus wrote:It seems to me that your salary, for the country you live in, is very high (otherwise you wouldn't make 80 points). Unless you have great job prospects in the UK, maybe you should think very carefully whether it makes economic sense for you to move there.

kju wrote:
GeneNZ wrote:
Basically I'm waiting to see what the changes are (particularly with regard to the previous earnings attribute, which is significantly harder, but for me depends directly on the multipliers they decide to implement). So if the changes go my way, it doesn't really matter how long it takes them to implement (preferably this year), since then I know I can apply for the Tier 1. If I'm not eligible, then I'll leave immediately and travel on my Tier 5.
I'm am also not legible by this new earning rules.. why didn't i find about this earlier????argh, i could have applied already... because i have 80 points total to the rules that apply now. only if they change the multipliers (now its 2.3 for my country, i will need at least 2.4) because i'm only 5 points short with new rules (basically i'm missing about 1k in earnings) :-(

kju

Post by kju » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 am

renzokuken wrote:
kju wrote:
i have my English assesment exam (IELTS) next week (i've been postponing that unfortunately :x ) and have to wait 2 weeks for results.. which means i can apply on 1.4. earliest

it might be a matter of days.. anyhow, i hate the uncertainty :?

any suggestions?
If the HO agent was right, then 1.4 still OK (last working day before 6.4). Then you still have a good chance to get tier-1 with the old rule. Just make sure you get minimum 6.5 for the IELTS
oh ok, there is hope :P either that, or higher multiplier or even if exchange rate changes a little because i'm only missing about 1k in earnings. . but i doubt they will make it easier (= higher multiplier), they will probably make it harder (= lower multiplier) because of introduction of bachelors.. etc.

eitherway, i hate the pressure, and i could have sit the IELTS exam last month, but i wanted to take it easy.. if i knew about this.. :) anyway, thanks for the info guys! good luck
Last edited by kju on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeneNZ

Post by GeneNZ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 am

kju wrote:its 80 points total with master's degree (35) and 28 years old (10)
(+20 for english and maintenance funds = 100)
I actually applied and recieved my Tier 5 YMS visa before I found out about these rule changes. I also found out through a friend in the UK. They don't tend to advertise these things until they are black and white, and/or you are actually looking for them. Regardless, my YMS visa actually commences from April 20th onwards, so I still have to time wait and see how the Tier 1 pans out.

Regardless, you had better get onto it, because you're cutting your dates extremely fine. I'm in the fortunate position that I'm 'only' on a Tier 5. If the Tier 1 rules don't pan out for me this time, I don't loose out, since they didn't pan out for me before either (I only have a Bachelors). Still means I can travel there on my Tier 5 though.

May I ask which country you are from? With the current rules I need a multiplier of 1.3 minimum. My country currently has a multiplier of 2.3, but I can pretty much guarantee that it will decrease after the review. I'm just hoping it won't decrease too much.

Either way, good luck, and good luck for your exam. Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll work itself out :)
Last edited by GeneNZ on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kju

Post by kju » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:20 am

ukswus wrote:Still you have 35 points for earnings.

It's your call, of course. Just be mindful of very bad labor market conditions here, and the propensity of the HO to make the rules extremely unpredictable.
thanks for the tip! there are certainly some advantages and some disadvantages about moving to UK.. but that all depends from person to person, what hers/his reasons are..etc.

GeneNZ

Post by GeneNZ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 am

kju wrote:
oh ok, there is hope :P either that, or higher multiplier or even if exchange rate changes a little because i'm only missing about 1k in earnings. . but i doubt they will make it easier (= higher multiplier), they will probably make it harder (= lower multiplier) because of introduction of bachelors.. etc.

eitherway, i hate the pressure, and i could have sit the IELTS exam last month, but i wanted to take it easy, one step at a time.. if i knew about these changes, i would've hurried up, and get it over with by now.. i guess that's the story of my life :) anyway, lets hope it all ends ok.. thanks for the info guys! good luck
Of side note, if you read through the entire MAC recommendations for Tier 1, you should note that MAC recommend that the UK HO uses a standardised system for converting currency. At present, they use on the spot market currency conversions. But if the MAC recommendations are implemented in full, they will use some standardised system (mention of PPP values), to do the conversion.

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

kju wrote: eitherway, i hate the pressure, and i could have sit the IELTS exam last month, but i wanted to take it easy, one step at a time.. if i knew about these changes, i would've hurried up, and get it over with by now.. i guess that's the story of my life :) anyway, lets hope it all ends ok.. thanks for the info guys! good luck
The MAC recommendation was announced last Dec, it is one of the early warning that HO will change the rules. However, I also the one who ignore this, I might have to cancel my easter holiday, because I am going to apply under the old rule as well. I will still be eligible with the new rule. but doesn't like that they only going to give 2 years initial leave to remain.

GeneNZ

Post by GeneNZ » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 am

renzokuken wrote:
kju wrote: eitherway, i hate the pressure, and i could have sit the IELTS exam last month, but i wanted to take it easy, one step at a time.. if i knew about these changes, i would've hurried up, and get it over with by now.. i guess that's the story of my life :) anyway, lets hope it all ends ok.. thanks for the info guys! good luck
The MAC recommendation was announced last Dec, it is one of the early warning that HO will change the rules. However, I also the one who ignore this, I might have to cancel my easter holiday, because I am going to apply under the old rule as well. I will still be eligible with the new rule. but doesn't like that they only going to give 2 years initial leave to remain.
Not to mention the fee's increase from 675 pounds to 690 pounds ;).

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 am

Another reason to do it now is that when it comes to extension time, the new (much tougher) rules are likely to apply to the new applicants only. Who can be certain they will be earning 60-65 K in 2 years' time?

renzokuken wrote:

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 am

ukswus wrote:Another reason to do it now is that when it comes to extension time, the new (much tougher) rules are likely to apply to the new applicants only. Who can be certain they will be earning 60-65 K in 2 years' time?
Fully agree, it's going to be quite tricky with the current job market situation. In my personal case, I won't need the extension if I get the tier-1 under old rule, because I have been here for 2,5 years on WP.

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:07 am

GeneNZ wrote:Not to mention the fee's increase from 675 pounds to 690 pounds ;).
Well, it is worst for us in the UK, because it's gonna be 890 pounds.