ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Return - is it needed for ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Deanoboy
Newly Registered

Tax Return - is it needed for ILR?

Post by Deanoboy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi there,

I am going for ILR (under the terms of the HMSP JR) and I have paid tax for the entire period in question. However, the tax office wrongly had me as needing to fill out a Self Assessment (SA) tax return for the last financial year (08/09) which I am yet to do. My Self employeed earnings (and thus tax) were £0 for that year, as i paid tax through PAYE.

Will the fact that i have not completed this SA tax return be a factor in the case worker's decision? Couldn't find any guidance on this elsewhere... I think i have covered all other bases (P60s, payslips, employer's letter) - but i still can't help being worried!

Many thanks in advance, this is such an invaluable forum!!

blue.olive

Post by blue.olive » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 am

Call your local tax office discuss all these details with them
get the reference number or name of person you spoken
note the date and time
I dont think you need to file your SA return if your only source of income is via PAYE, inland reveue donot send return unless they have specific information about you income. If you explain them your circumstance.
hopefully you matter will be solve.
Good luck
Olive

allta

Post by allta » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Call hmrc and request for a letter confirming tax and earning details over the time in question.

The letter takes about 5 days, this will give you some peace of mind although they only asked me of last 3 months bank statement and payslips.
No man can be an Island of Knowledge, a Tree doesn't make a forest