ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Sponsorship under Tier 1???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kju

Certificate of Sponsorship under Tier 1???

Post by kju » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I want to apply for Tier 1 (General - Skilled Migrant) under PBS.
I am a citizen of Croatia where, at the moment, I live and work.
I score 80 points on the point based calculator.

But...

Here it clearly states that one does NOT need a sponsor for this type of visa:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... nt#3906078
Q > Do I need a sponsor?
A > You do not need a sponsor for Tier 1 (General) Migrant of PBS.

Although, some documents do say that I need some kind of Certificate of Sponsorship, or an Entry Clearance?
I am quite confused, and doesn't make much sense to me, so can somebody please explain to me all this terms, what they mean, etc.

Thank you
:oops:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Certificate of Sponsorship is for Tier 2, not for Tier 1.

Entry Clearance (EC) is a visa stamped on your passport when your application for a given immigration category (e.g. - Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 etc.) is approved.

regards

kju

Post by kju » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Certificate of Sponsorship is for Tier 2, not for Tier 1.

Entry Clearance (EC) is a visa stamped on your passport when your application for a given immigration category (e.g. - Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 etc.) is approved.

regards
Thank you very much for the reply...
That is how I understood this Tier 1 PBS system business as well..
but when I called immigration office and they told me I'm wrong and that I need to have a Certificate of Sponsorship if I intend to work in UK..

Here, it is indicated for tier1: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... l/#header2

- "You do not need to have a job offer"
- "You can apply under Tier 1 (General) if: * you are outside the UK and eligible to apply for permission to enter (known as 'entry clearance') under Tier 1 (General)."

So as I understand this, if I score 75 point (I do) I get a Leave to Enter (or Entry Clearance?) under Tier 1.. What exactly does that imply? Can I work? How long can I remain in UK? etc. Is Leave to Remain only granted under Tier2? Does that make any sense? :cry:

Please advise!
Looking forward to your reply
Last edited by kju on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kju

Post by kju » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:09 pm

..also when I complete this 'Do I need a UK visa?' questionnaire >>> http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/

purpose=work, country and nationality=Croatia

This comes up:

"YES
You will normally need a visa (and a Certificate of Sponsorship) to come to the United Kingdom to work.
However, if you are coming to the United Kingdom as a work permit holder for 6 months or less, or as a Temporary Worker in the Creative and Sporting Category of PBS Tier 5 for less than 3 months, you will not require a visa."

All this is very confusing and contradicting.. please someone explain? help me solve this mystery.. :shock:

Thank you!!
Last edited by kju on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:36 am

in a nutshell...

you will need an entry clearance(a sticker on your passport) to enter uk.

this will be given to you when you apply for tier 1 visa providedyour app is sucessfull.

tier 1 visa is valid for 3 years but can be extended if you meet requirements.

tier 1 allows you to come in uk and look for a job yourself and you dont need to have a job in hand to get this visa.

all you need to do is download tier 1 application, fill it out, attach supporting documents and wait until your app is approved.

hope this helps

regards

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:39 am

there are many tiers under which people can apply to come here in uk to work. if you secure enough points in tier 1 then you dont need to worry about tier 2 or tier 5 as they doesnt concern you.

just concentrate on tier 1.

regards

kju

Post by kju » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 am

Thank you very much for the reply.. That is how I understood all this, but the immigration officer I talked to was telling me (100%!) different, and after mroe investigation and filling in that little questionnaire I had a doubt that he was right..

When I usually go to UK (as citizen of Croatia) a get a Leave to Enter for 6 months (work prohibited and no recourse to public funds) stamped in my passport..

One more question to clear this doubts: Lets say my app for Tier1 visa was successful...I move to UK to look for work, and then, what happens when I do get a job while in the UK under Tier1? What is the procedure then? Am I simply allowed to work or have to apply/switch to different Tier or whatever?

Sorry, if this questions seem silly, but I'm really concerned about all this.. and want to clear my head of doubts that I'm doing/thinking the right thing here

Please advise, your help is much appreciated!

kju

Post by kju » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 am

arsenal49 wrote:you will need an entry clearance(a sticker on your passport) to enter uk.
ps. as a citizen of Croatia, i do not need a visa to come to UK for a short visit (up to 6 months)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:48 pm

kju wrote:When I usually go to UK (as citizen of Croatia) a get a Leave to Enter for 6 months (work prohibited and no recourse to public funds) stamped in my passport..
Similar to a visit visa (leave to enter) that people usually apply for when entering UK on a visit (e.g.- tourism). On the other hand, Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas do not have "work prohibited" endorsement on them.
kju wrote:One more question to clear this doubts: Lets say my app for Tier1 visa was successful...I move to UK to look for work, and then, what happens when I do get a job while in the UK under Tier1? What is the procedure then? Am I simply allowed to work or have to apply/switch to different Tier or whatever?
When you get a job, you join and continue to work. Near the time of expiry of your leave to enter (visa) which is usually 3 years, you'll apply for extension of stay (called leave to remain) under Tier 1 itself. Provided you fulfil the extension criteria, you'll be granted further leave to remain that will allow you continue working in UK as a Tier 1 migrant. Anytime during the time of your stay in UK as Tier 1 migrant, you are free to change employers (in contrast, under Tier 2 one is bound to the employer who's sponsored your work permit). Lastly, changing a Tier would depend on your wish and circumstances, and whether the law allows you to change in-country (from within UK) or from outside. The policy guidances for all Tier categories clearly mention the visa categories under which you can change from within UK.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kju

Post by kju » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 am

Thank you very much for your time and detailed reply.. Cheers!