ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry via Ireland and Residential Qualifying Period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JulesN19

Entry via Ireland and Residential Qualifying Period

Post by JulesN19 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 pm

I moved to the UK at the end of January 2007 for the purpose of getting married and staying here with my British citizen spouse.

I obtained entry clearance as a fiance in 2006 and the visa that was issued to me was valid ftom the date I had booked for arrival in the UK. I arrived on that date. However, my journey to the UK involved a connecting flight in Ireland and I did not, therefore, receive a UK entry stamp on my arrival at Heathrow.

I did, of course, present my visa when I gave notice at my town hall of my intent to get married and I was married in April 2007. I did receive a UK stamp, placed on my fiance entry clearance visa, when I re-entered the UK at the end of April 2007 following my honeymoon.

I was hoping to apply for naturalisation at the end of this month, as I will have met the three-year residence requirement applicable to those applying as spouses of British citizens. I am wondering, however, if the UK Border Agency will be satisfied that I was lawfully resident in the UK from January 2007. Will my boarding passes be sufficient?
Last edited by JulesN19 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

are you applying for ILR or naturalisation?

also i think you came on 'fiance visa' did you at any time change this to 'spouse visa'.

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:09 am

f2k wrote:are you applying for ILR or naturalisation?

also i think you came on 'fiance visa' did you at any time change this to 'spouse visa'.
I will be applying for naturalisation.

Yes, I arrived on a fiance visa. I applied for and received a two-year spousal visa in May 2007. I applied for and received indefinite leave to remain in May 2009.

I called the UK Border Agency's nationality help line this afternoon. A UKBA representative told me that in the absence of an entry stamp showing my exact date of arrival, I can prove that I meet the three year residence requirement by submitting other documentation showing my arrival and residence in the UK. Thus, I plan to apply at the end of the month or early February and submit my boarding passes as well as bank statements and other documents showing residence after my arrival.

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:36 am

I am writing to provide an update. I applied in February 2010 for naturalisation using my local authority's Nationality Checking Service. I thought that I should provide all these details for the benefit of readers who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Background to my Naturalisation Application
As you can see from earlier posts, I arrived in late January 2007 with entry clearance as the fiance of a British citizen. I got married in April 2007, went on honeymoon, and re-entered the UK at the end of April 2007. I received further leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen in May 2007. I received indefinite leave to remain in May 2009.

The only complicating factor with regard to my application was proving my arrival in the UK and presence at the beginning of the qualifying period, as I entered via the Republic of Ireland and did not receive an entry stamp when I arrived in the UK in January 2007.

Evidence Submitted as to my Entry in January 2007 and Residence at the Beginning of the Qualifying Period
I explained the above on page 14 of my naturalisation application. As evidence of my arrival in the UK at the end of January 2007, I submitted:
1. A copy of my Aer Lingus flight itinierary printed on the day I departed and showing that my journey involved flying from the US to Dublin and then catching a connecting flight from Dublin to London;
2. My Aer Lingus boarding passes for the above described journey;
3. My bag identification tags for the abode described journey;
4. A letter from the US Selective Service System sent in late January 2007 showing the change in my registered address to my current UK address;
5. My bank statements from February, March, and April 2007, which showed my current UK address as the mailing address and showed that I was making debit card transactions in the UK throughout the period when I was claiming to have been present in the UK;
6. My Life in the UK Test pass notification letter dated March 2007, showing that I had to have been present at the test centre in the UK to take the exam;
7. My marriage certificate from April 2007, showing that I was in fact the spouse of a British citizen and had to have been present in the UK on my wedding day.

There were a couple times I went on holiday outside the UK and did not receive a UK entry stamp when I returned because I used the IRIS system. I explained these cases on page 14 and submitted the boarding passes for these trips where I had them available. Where I did not have boarding passes, I submitted utility bills sent shortly after my return from holiday to show my continued residence.

The Result
I received an envelope from the Home Office this morning. It returned the supporting documents that I have described above. It also contained a letter indicating that my application has been successful.

I am waiting to receive a letter inviting me to a naturalisation ceremony.

I should note that I received a decision within a month of submitting my application.

newperson

Post by newperson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:07 am

Congratulations on the successful application.

I'm in N19 as well. I'm just curious, but did you go through the Islington council for your NCS appointment? Were you happy with their service?

I only ask because I'm going to lodge my own application within a few months. I can't decide whether I should go ahead with Westminster, Camden or Islington. I reckon I'm geographically closer to Camden although Islington is my actual council. But I'm also considering Westminster because they seem to have the ceremonies more frequently than Islington or Camden.

Anyway, well done on the good news. The journey's almost over!

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 am

Yes, I did use the Islington Nationality Checking Service to submit my application.

I called the Islington Registrar's office on the morning of 18 February 2010 to indicate that I would like to make an NCS appointment. Someone took my details and I was called back at the end of the day to be given the opportunity to book an appointment for the afternoon of the next day or for Wednesday of the following week. I opted for an appointment the next day. As I was paying by credit card, I paid the £45 NCS fee over the phone when I booked the appointment. My appointment was completely straightforward and I have no complaints.

As I did not request to have my citizenship ceremony with another local authority, I will have mine in Islington. I can't yet comment on the frequency or convenience of their ceremonies, as I have not yet received my invitation.

Regardless of the place where you submit your application, you can request to have your citizenship ceremony with any local authority in section 1.21 (page 6) of your application form.

newperson

Post by newperson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

From the Islington Council website:
In the London Borough of Islington and London City, Citizenship Ceremonies are provided by the Islington and London City Registration Service. Ceremonies for up to 30 people, are held every Monday at The Town Hall on Upper Street. Guests are welcome to attend by invitation, with up to 2 guests per applicant.
http://www.islington.gov.uk/Community/citizenship/

Thanks for your earlier response. I hope your ceremony takes place soon.