ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalisation under Surinder Singh Rules

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mikethebook
Newly Registered

British Naturalisation under Surinder Singh Rules

Post by Mikethebook » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:09 pm

After a 15 month wait, my US wife has eventually received her Residents Card. Although I'm a Brit we met and married in Austria where I was working and so decided to come back into the UK under the EEA rules . . . much cheaper. My question now concerns her getting naturalisation as wife of a British Citizen. In theory she should be able to apply after three years but I don't see anything in the legislation regarding someone coming in under EEA law. The Surinder Singh rules seems to straddle two lots of legislation. Can anyone help please?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: British Naturalisation under Surinder Singh Rules

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Mikethebook wrote:After a 15 month wait, my US wife has eventually received her Residents Card. Although I'm a Brit we met and married in Austria where I was working and so decided to come back into the UK under the EEA rules . . . much cheaper. My question now concerns her getting naturalisation as wife of a British Citizen. In theory she should be able to apply after three years but I don't see anything in the legislation regarding someone coming in under EEA law. The Surinder Singh rules seems to straddle two lots of legislation. Can anyone help please?
Five years I think, three years under UK immigration rules.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....