ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to UK citizen, unsure which route to take

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PTP
Newly Registered

Married to UK citizen, unsure which route to take

Post by PTP » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 am

Hi All,

First off, I want to say thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this and give some advice.

Our situation:
My wife is a Chinese national, I am a British citizen by birth. We've been married for four years this February and living together for 5 years in China. We have two sons, both British citizens. We want to move back to the UK to live and want to return together at the same time.

I have significant savings but no job or house in the UK, so we will stay with my mother until I find a job.

Questions:
- Am I right in thinking my wife should fill out form vaf4a settlement visa?
- If not, which form is the right on to use?
- I've read on UK border website that she may be able to get ILR immediately on arriving UK as we've been married for 4 years. How likely is that?
- What documents should I get from my mother to prove we can stay there? Is a written letter enough or do I need copies of title deeds etc.?
- All my bank statements are online. I have used printouts of these for previous short term visitor visas for my wife with success. Are online printouts sufficient for this application?

Any other tips or advice would be very welcome. I've been reading up as much as I can, but it's quite difficult to get definitive practical information on our particular situation from the UK border website, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 am

Search the forum - your questions have all been covered before.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Re: Married to UK citizen, unsure which route to take

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am

PTP wrote:Questions:
- Am I right in thinking my wife should fill out form vaf4a settlement visa?
- If not, which form is the right on to use?
Yes
PTP wrote:- I've read on UK border website that she may be able to get ILR immediately on arriving UK as we've been married for 4 years. How likely is that?
KOL REQuired for a spouse ILE endorsement.
PTP wrote:- What documents should I get from my mother to prove we can stay there? Is a written letter enough or do I need copies of title deeds etc.?
MAA13 Adequacy of accommodation. Probably useful to have land registry records.
PTP wrote:- All my bank statements are online. I have used printouts of these for previous short term visitor visas for my wife with success. Are online printouts sufficient for this application?
Probably safest to use same standard of proof as PBS applicants:
Personal bank or building society statements covering the three-month period immediately before the application wrote:If you wish to send electronic bank statements from an online account these must contain all of the details listed above. In addition, you will need to send a supporting letter from your bank, on headed paper, confirming that the statements are genuine. Alternatively, electronic bank statements with the official stamp of the bank that issued the statements will be accepted. The stamp must appear on every page of the statement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

PTP
Newly Registered

Post by PTP » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for the very helpful reply Vinny. It's good to know we're on the right track. I contacted our local consulate but they don't give advice on which application to make, so I do appreciate this resource and your effort in replying very much.

Wanderer, I did search the forum and have spent a lot of time trying to get confirmation on the questions I posted. Yes, I probably could have spent another hour or two pinning it down, but to be honest I don't have all the time in the world to do that. In any case, isn't the purpose of a forum like this to help each other out if you are knowledgeable on these matters? I can see you do plenty of that by the number of posts you've made, but i'm sure you'll understand that sometimes it's good to get personalised advice when you're dealing with something important like this.

Cheers.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

PTP wrote:Thanks for the very helpful reply Vinny. It's good to know we're on the right track. I contacted our local consulate but they don't give advice on which application to make, so I do appreciate this resource and your effort in replying very much.

Wanderer, I did search the forum and have spent a lot of time trying to get confirmation on the questions I posted. Yes, I probably could have spent another hour or two pinning it down, but to be honest I don't have all the time in the world to do that. In any case, isn't the purpose of a forum like this to help each other out if you are knowledgeable on these matters? I can see you do plenty of that by the number of posts you've made, but i'm sure you'll understand that sometimes it's good to get personalised advice when you're dealing with something important like this.

Cheers.
Understand! Just get bored typing the same thing!

Ignore me, I'm a moody so and so!

2003uk
Newly Registered

to Wanderer

Post by 2003uk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Wanderer, if you have nothing to say, please then dont say anything.what is the matter with you.every thread i read you are the same!!! silly little remarks

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: to Wanderer

Post by mochyn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:26 pm

2003uk wrote:Wanderer, if you have nothing to say, please then dont say anything.what is the matter with you.every thread i read you are the same!!! silly little remarks
This is not your thread, why have you chosen to attack Wanderer?
Have you read the terms and conditions of this site?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 pm

2003uk wrote:Wanderer, if you have nothing to say, please then dont say anything.what is the matter with you.every thread i read you are the same!!! silly little remarks
Hi.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Hi.
:lol:

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 pm

I think that 2003uk 'Newbie' may have wanted to query politely how you've earned your 'guru' rating Wanderer. Others amongst us know of course how you fully deserve the acclaim. 4802 posts...they can't all have consisted of 'silly little remarks! :wink:
Last edited by Casa on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Casa wrote:I think that 'Newbie' may have wanted to query how you've earned your 'guru' rating Wanderer. Others amongst us know of course just how much you deserve the acclaim. :wink:
Like everyone else, by posting crap, and posting 'I agree' and 'Good answer' to up the post count like Tim555 does....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Sorry....4803 now!