ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

9 years exp - Designation Matters??

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sandy0103
Newly Registered

9 years exp - Designation Matters??

Post by Sandy0103 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi all,

I have 9 years of experience in C/C++ on Windows, UNIX and LINUX. Currently, my designation is Manager here in INDIA. I am 100% sure, I wont get, the same role there in UK. Now my question is, will my resume be considered , if they see my position is a Manager. Because, it is always a myth, that manager's cant CODE. Though I have good coding experience.

Please someone tell me.

Thanks.
Sandy0103

ambal
Newly Registered

Re: 9 years exp - Designation Matters??

Post by ambal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Yes, I beleive Designation has siginificant bearing on short listing process:
Often recruiters are looking for candidates with matching designations( in addition to work experience) for roles on offer.

As far as I have seen Managers in U.K are typically supposed to focus primarily on management ( although they may have abstract/expert view of technical details based on their experience with product/project)

So in short you may need to tailer your resume including designation to stand a good chance for short list( at a time when supply is in abundance in job market)

All the best,

renzokuken

Re: 9 years exp - Designation Matters??

Post by renzokuken » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Sandy0103 wrote:Hi all,

I have 9 years of experience in C/C++ on Windows, UNIX and LINUX. Currently, my designation is Manager here in INDIA. I am 100% sure, I wont get, the same role there in UK. Now my question is, will my resume be considered , if they see my position is a Manager. Because, it is always a myth, that manager's cant CODE. Though I have good coding experience.

Please someone tell me.

Thanks.
Sandy0103
If you have the right skill, the title doesn't matter. Probably this is only my impression, but companies in the UK like to hire overqualified person for the job. Probably you'll end up with Senior Developer or something like that.

Having said that, I think there are many people with your skill set looking for a job. I would say the chances are slim. Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to give you right expectation here.

Anyway, good luck

Sandy0103
Newly Registered

Post by Sandy0103 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks guys!! Thanks for the reply.

How do we tailor my resume, if my designation is Manager? Anyway in my relieving letter, they gonna put my designation?

I understand, my skillset is pretty common one, from you point of view which is the skill set pretty rare in UK? Just curious.

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 am

I work in Mechanical industry and when I visited UK on Tier-2 for our Parent company, what I observed was the project management was done by MBA grads. They were looking after Project Planning, Sourcing, Costing etc. Technical people were moving up the ladder in Technical Posts. Software may be a different scenario.

Thanks
Raghavendran G

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:24 am

Sandy0103 wrote:Thanks guys!! Thanks for the reply.

How do we tailor my resume, if my designation is Manager? Anyway in my relieving letter, they gonna put my designation?

I understand, my skillset is pretty common one, from you point of view which is the skill set pretty rare in UK? Just curious.
I think you don't have to change your title, just mention clearly your experience and skill. Highlighting that you have very strong technical skill which allow you to progress to higher position.

In my company I work for, there are many senior technical (engineer, analyst, developer) position filled by migrant worker who had higher position in their home country. So essentially most of them downgraded one level from their original position in their home country.