ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS as comprehensive sickness insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

antonia15
Newly Registered

NHS as comprehensive sickness insurance

Post by antonia15 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:07 pm

According to HMRC(www.hmrc.co.uk/manuals/cbtmanual/cbtm10070.htm)
comprehensive sickness cover includes the NHS cover.
But from what I have read so far in the forum UKBA asks for private
insurance as well.
Is this demand lawful and has it ever been chalenged in courts?
Has any court ruled on the definition of comprehensive sickness
insurance?
I have NHS cover and private insurance from another EU country that covers treatment in the whole of EU, including emergences and accidents.
Does the UKBA accept insurance from other EU countries or only from
UK providers?
Thank you.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:18 pm

The UKBA's stance that NHS cover does not equate to comprehensive sickness cover is not lawful from my understanding of the definition of NHS cover and the EU Directive's requirements for self-sufficient persons or students to have such cover.

I am not aware of this issue being flogged out in court.

Yes, some posts on here from successful applicants suggest that the UKBA accepts other EU medical insurance as proof of CSI.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:36 pm

I am also not aware that this issue has been tested before the Tribunal or Courts. But I can add this. I have a high-level contact in UKBA and a few weeks ago I raised exactly this point with that person. Undoubtedly I shall get a reply, but I don't know when. But when I do get a reply I shall post details on this Board.

Or put it another way, UKBA are aware that this is an issue, and in the UKBA staff guidance (at least what is published on the internet) is silent on the issue, that the issue keeps coming up on Boards such as this, and action is needed to clarify the matter, one way or another.
John

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Insurer are very much aware that there is no such a thing as emergency cover in the Uk, as there are no private E & A's in the Uk. So what they do, they can just arrange for you a policy which covers ambulace transfers, to a private hospital. Thats what i have been told by one of the insurers.
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.