ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tier1Dep
Newly Registered

British Citizen ?

Post by Tier1Dep » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi All,

Please forgive if this post is in the wrong category or has been answered. (I did search, but none of the answers seem relevant)
I would appreciate if someone could answer and help me understand or plan my future.
Thank you in advance.

My HSMP was issued in June 2007 and I came to UK in July 2007. I have got my extension in June 2009(tier 1).
My next step, as I understand is to get ILR. After reading the below mentioned, I am confused ; Please advise

Recent news at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... es-to-law1
“The new registration provisions will need to be commenced by order. We intend to commence these by early 2010. The 'earned citizenship' provisions, which will amend the requirements for naturalisation, will be commenced in the summer of 2011.â€

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 pm

i think .... you should get an extension to tier 1 general visa ... and then you will be here atleast 5 years on tier 1 general visa which would give you permanent residence in uk.

regards

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: British Citizen ?

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Reading the below article may clear some of your queries.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Tier1Dep
Newly Registered

Post by Tier1Dep » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Thank you.
sorry for not being explicit - My current extension permit is till June 2012.
So should I apply for extension ( I would have stayed in the UK for 5 years)

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:51 pm

to be honest, i dont know much about hsmp... but i was told that if you are here in UK working full time for a period of 5 years than you are allowed to apply for permanent residency. i cant recall exactly what the scheme is called but its pretty much same as ILR except that you only have to live here for 5 years as opposed to 10 years.

quick search on ukba website regarding permanent residency type visa application should help you find exatly what application form you need to fill in and requiremnets associated with it.

i think, you will be able to apply for that visa with no problem as u have stayed here for 5 years while contributing to society

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 pm

As Earned Citizenship is set to be introduced in Jul '11 (as reports till date suggest), you may be affected by these changes. I use "may" because a section of people believe that people who applied for HSMP (not Tier 1) will be protected from earned citizenship rules while another section feels that anyone who applied for HSMP post 07-Nov-06 changes will belong to Tier 1 pool and thus affected by these changes in 2011 ... no clarity on this issue yet as there is no detailed information available.

Since you have leave to remain until July 2012, sit back, relax and wait for more details about earned citizenship to be published. Nothing more you can do! :(

regards