ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax Discount and ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

noor1034
BANNED

Council Tax Discount and ILR

Post by noor1034 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 am

Im living in my flat for last 2 years. As I was single when I purchased this flat, council was giving me 25% discount on council tax. I can understand 25% discount does not fall under council benefit.

However, last year I married and my wife came in UK as my dependent. However, I did not informed this to council tax. I only realized this this week.

My question is , will this have any impact on my ILR application. As it is my fault, Im happy to pay all discount for months when my wife was here. Should I contact council and make things clear ?

Please advice ?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 am

if she is a foreigner who came here as a dependent , than she is exempted from paying council tax.

regards

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:43 am

see this for more info.

page 9, last para

http://www.local.odpm.gov.uk/finance/ct ... lguide.pdf

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am

arsenal49 wrote:see this for more info.

page 9, last para

I think that is only for student dependants.

noor1034
BANNED

Post by noor1034 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:29 pm

aruni4470 wrote:

page 9, last para

She is WP Dependant. Please advice ?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:34 pm

noor1034 wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:

page 9, last para

As far as I know, WP dependant should pay the council tax. Contact your council and inform them about the error, they might ask you to pay the remaining amount and get a letter from them that you have paid all the dues. This way you will have no problems!!! After-all, that was a genuine mistake.

noor1034
BANNED

Post by noor1034 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:53 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
noor1034 wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:

page 9, last para

As far as I know, WP dependant should pay the council tax. Contact your council and inform them about the error, they might ask you to pay the remaining amount and get a letter from them that you have paid all the dues. This way you will have no problems!!! After-all, that was a genuine mistake.
Many thanks for your answer..

As you advised, I did the same, spoken with my council hours ago and explained them the situation and asked Im happy to pay for any discount for the period my wife was here, they thanks for letting them know and confirmed we can start a new account back to date and will deduct the money.

I still have year and half for ILR. I hope this should be fine.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 pm

noor1034 wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
noor1034 wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:

As you advised, I did the same, spoken with my council hours ago and explained them the situation and asked Im happy to pay for any discount for the period my wife was here, they thanks for letting them know and confirmed we can start a new account back to date and will deduct the money.

you should be fine. All the best!!

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 am

Why do you link this issue to your ILR application? I just checked the documents required to submit with the application, and see no place where it says anything about Council tax?

aruni4470 wrote:
noor1034 wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
noor1034 wrote:

you should be fine. All the best!!

noor1034
BANNED

Post by noor1034 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:12 am

[quote="ukswus"]Why do you link this issue to your ILR application? I just checked the documents required to submit with the application, and see no place where it says anything about Council tax?

Agree with you, just checked, there is nothing about council tax. Also I have double checked 25% discount is not a 'public fund'.

Any senior member on this board can advice if we really need to provide council tax details when applying for ILR ?