ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Regd Obtaining Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

devic
Newly Registered

Regd Obtaining Citizenship

Post by devic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Group,

Please let me know the following things for obtaining citizenship.

1) Cant we be more than 90 days outside UK before applying for citizenship?
2) What is 270 day period where in other people in the group are talking about?
3) Please list the supporting documents to apply for citizenship. I some where see that all 5 year P60's should be produced while applying for citizenship and the appropriate fee.

I have received an ILR in November 2009. So I think I can apply for Citizenship in October 2010(by end of October 2010)

Thanks
devic

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Please read the Citizenship portion of the BIA website first - it should answer your questions.

But - I'm a little confused - in your previous posts you were attempting to get a Tier 1 extension - but you're now saying you've got ILR 5 months ago and will be applying for citizenship soon.

Which is it?

devic
Newly Registered

ciitzenship

Post by devic » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm

Citizenship is for one of my friend. I have got my Tier1 extension. I could manage to get an appointment and got the passport stamped on same day itself.

Query regarding citizenship...

1) I understand citizenship application is different and application for British passport is different.
2) When applying for citizenship what exactly will be in the passport.
3) After getting citizenship, can we travel to all the European countries without a schengen visa or is British passport compulsory.

Thanks
devic

bani

Post by bani » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: ciitzenship

Post by Christophe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

devic wrote: 2) When applying for citizenship what exactly will be in the passport.
3) After getting citizenship, can we travel to all the European countries without a schengen visa or is British passport compulsory.
Nothing gets put in your current passport, although your indefinite leave to remain (if that is the status you had) becomes invalid in the sense that British citizens cannot have "leave to remain" in the UK since they have the right of abode in the UK.

If you have no intention of travelling outside the UK, then of course a British passport is not essential (although it is useful, quick proof of your status if that is ever needed, and it is a good identity document too, of course).

If you do intend to travel, then you need to do one of two things. The usual thing is to apply for a British passport, which you can do as soon as you've been to the citizenship ceremony (though not before then). This will act as proof of your status when you re-enter the UK and will naturally allow you to travel to other EU/EEA countries without a visa. If you travel on your old passport to Europe you will need whatever documentation you need now (i.e. the fact that you have become a British citizen won't make any difference).

The alternative, less satisfactory thing to do is to apply for a right of abode certificate to be placed in your current passport. This is only possible if you are still a citizen of your first country, and it is also only possible if you don't have a British passport (i.e. you can't have both a British passport and a right of abode certificate in another passport).

This certificate in your passport demonstrates that you have the right of abode in the UK, and you can re-enter the UK as if you had a British passport. However, it has no bearing on your status in other countries, so it does not, for example, facilitate travel to other European countries in the same way that a British passport does.

So the most sensible thing is to apply for a British passport after naturalisation, certainly if you want to travel in Europe.

devic
Newly Registered

ciitzenship

Post by devic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for the valuable reply!

If I(my friend) apply for a British passport, will the Indian passport become invalid.

How can he have dual citizenship?

Can he travel to India with Indian passport if it can be retained (of course yes) and enter UK with British Passport.?
How does it actually work?

Thanks
devic

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: ciitzenship

Post by Christophe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:46 pm

devic wrote:Thanks for the valuable reply!

If I(my friend) apply for a British passport, will the Indian passport become invalid.

How can he have dual citizenship?

Can he travel to India with Indian passport if it can be retained (of course yes) and enter UK with British Passport.?
How does it actually work?

Thanks
devic
Well, in terms of the Indian passport being valid, it is not a question of applying for a British passport but, rather, becoming a British citizen. India does not allow dual citizenship, so the moment that an Indian citizen becomes a British citizen (i.e. at the citizenship ceremony), he or she ceases to be an Indian citizen by the operation of the laws of India. Consequently, the Indian passport is not valid from that moment.

It is not possible to retain Indian citizenship in these circumstances. However, you can apply for Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) or for the status of a Person of Indian Origin (PIO). These statuses enable visa-free travel to India and also allow the holder to live and work in India (with some restrictions).

I am sure others on the boards here will know much more about OCI and PIO than I do....

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 am

There is a lot of information about this subject on Indian High commission website. But I will tell you in a Nutshell.

Once you get your naturalisation and then obtain a british passport, then you should surrender you Indian passport to Indian High commission and pay a fees of 90 pounds, they will then issue you with a surrender certificate. You can then apply for OCI status, the fees for OCI is around 170 pounds, and once you have this you will not need a visa for India in future.

You have to do all this at either Indian High commission in London or Indian consuls in Birmingham and Edinburgh, depending on the county you live in.

Please note that if you dont surrender your Indian passport upon getting a british one, then you will have to pay a heavy price for it. You will never be able to apply for an Indian visa on UK passport until you have surrendered your Indian passport. If you dont surrender you Indian passport within 3 months then there are heavy penalties.