ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I study on Tier-1 visa ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waiwai

Can I study on Tier-1 visa ?

Post by waiwai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:08 am

I have an admit from a UK university for post graduation. I want to get Tier-4 students visa, but now that Tier-1 visa rules have been relaxed (points for bachelors degree takes my total post 75) , I was wondering if I should apply for Tier-1 itself.

Even if I get a student visa, after getting my degree I am planning to get Tier-1 visa in the long run, so why not now.

Question is - can i pursue my higher studies on a Tier-1 visa ?
Or will it be advisable that I first go to UK on a students visa and then apply for Tier-1 visa immediately from there ?

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:24 am

They have decreased the education level but they have considerably increase the income level. Are you sure if you meet the new income level.

If you do then the short answer is 'as it is a skilled working visa so you are supposed to work not study' but I have seen people studying (part time) and working (part time) at the same time and some of them even studying full time.

But basically they are not meeting the requirements of law but in practice usually there is not a problem as long as you do not tell yourself that you are just studying not working. Your visa may be curtailed as you are not meeting the requirements and conditions of your visa.

waiwai

Post by waiwai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 am

yes, I checked the new table for earnings. i am still eligible for Tier-1 as I am getting 25 points for earnings, 30 pts for bachelor degree, and 20 points for age (i am 29)

However, I think it will be better if I apply after I get the masters degree in UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:51 am

Are you appreciating that from 06.04.10 you will need 95 points?
John

waiwai

Post by waiwai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:53 am

Oh yes. Apart from the 75 points mentioned above, I do have 10 points for English language, and 10 points for maintenance funds.
So it makes 95. Isn't it. Experts point me if I am wrong.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 am

Just making sure you realised all the categories that give points, and more importantly, making sure that others were not confused.
John

waiwai

Post by waiwai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 am

oh yes ! Thanks for the clarification again. :)