ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship eligibility

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vinseh

Citizenship eligibility

Post by vinseh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi guys,

I have recently got my ILR in 5 yr WP category. And please accept my apologies if this topic has been covered before but I tried searching for it on the forum and had no luck.

Do I need to be economically active to be eligible for British citizenship next year? The reason I am asking this question is that I am going to go on maternity leave in a month or so. If I am on maternity leave for the next 10-12 months would I still be able to apply for naturalisation? Also, would it be ok to claim Maternity Allowance during this time?

Additionally, if instead of going on maternity leave I actually leave my job and take time off because of maternity i.e. instead of maternity leave...basically be unemployed during my maternity period...if that makes any sense.

I would really appreciate some advice...please :)

Many thanks!

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:23 pm

hi guys, any suggestions...

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 pm

You don't have to be economically active for citizenship - after you've got ILR you are free from that kind of restrictions. And ILR also allows you to get benefits, including the maternity allowance. :)

Congratulations about your future family addition :D

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 pm

vinseh wrote:hi guys, any suggestions...
There is no requirement to be economically active for British citizenship. But make sure that you have to be present in UK and your absence should not exceed more than 90 days in the last 12 months and 450 days in the last 5 years at the time when you apply. I don't think that claiming maternity allowance will make any issue, but i am not sure, expert may answer for this question.

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 pm

wunder wrote:You don't have to be economically active for citizenship - after you've got ILR you are free from that kind of restrictions. And ILR also allows you to get benefits, including the maternity allowance. :)

Congratulations about your future family addition :D
thanks mate! :)

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 pm

senthil78 wrote:
vinseh wrote:hi guys, any suggestions...
There is no requirement to be economically active for British citizenship. But make sure that you have to be present in UK and your absence should not exceed more than 90 days in the last 12 months and 450 days in the last 5 years at the time when you apply. I don't think that claiming maternity allowance will make any issue, but i am not sure, expert may answer for this question.
thanks senthil78 :)