ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Certified copies'

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gretnadawn
United Kingdom

'Certified copies'

Post by gretnadawn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi all
I have been looking here for some months to gather information for my husband to apply for a settlement visa, and this is my first post
The application asks for 'certified' copy of my (sponsor) passport
I have emailed Worldbridge, to try to clarify, but have received a rather generic reply, so, to avoid any doubt, (and any possible rejection),could someone please clarify what this actually means
I had asked my company's Accountant to certify them, but he said I should check what wording was actually needed, and what info of his,eg does EACH copy of page of passport need to have his name,address,qualification etc?
I do not want to get this wrong, as I have taken much time to read on here the 'fine print' that may make or break an application
Thank you for your time
ps, I think you all do a brilliant job here, please keep it up :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:55 am

Certified by Accountant? No! You need to get certified by a Solicitor. Phone a few local firms and get a quote. It should not cost too much.

The Solicitor will know the wording to use.
John

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 am

Most solicitors charge about a tenner per certification! :wink:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 am

Also remember to do every single page,( including blank ones) to be on the safe side.

Wording will be " Certified to be a true copy of Mrs???? passport"

The solicitor then signs it on every page

gretnadawn
United Kingdom

Post by gretnadawn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks Guys for all your help....do you really think I need to have even the blank pages certified? :shock:
Oh well, 1 more piece of the puzzle nearly sorted, just a few more pieces, and I think I'm done...then the nerves start to set in... :lol:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks Guys for all your help....do you really think I need to have even the blank pages certified? Shocked
Yes its amazing how people simply forget to copy a page with a refusal of visa to another country.

That is why its important to copy everypage :roll:

gretnadawn
United Kingdom

Post by gretnadawn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am

Aah, yes, now i see why that makes sense.!!
Do you think it would suffice to get the solicitor to certify that all the other pages were blank?

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:19 am

Batlykhan, my husband has copy every page of his passprt? I thought it was just the photo page!

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm pretty confused, in the Frequently Asked Questions "sticky" post, it states The Bio data page of the sponsors passport needs to be submitted.

What do I need? My husband is ready to send me everything and I need to know if he has to go back to the solicitor and get all the pages of his passport copied and not just the photo page. His passport is an old one and not the bio.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Which ever one it is, it is strongly advised to certify every single page by a solicitor for reasons I have explained above.

if you havent done this , then there is a possiblity that they could doubt the authenticy of teh document.

The reason why I say this i have seen people who by not copying every page were refused for reasons such as teh ECO was not satisfied that the applicant and spouse met each other 4 yrs earlier ( becasue he did no photocopy the page showing his visit 4 yrs earlier. The other was that the sponsor was refused visa to another country, therefore he convieniantly forgot to copy that page of his passport.

It is for this reason that I strongly advise that you copy everypage so teh ECO can see everything in your passport to satisfy himself.

At the most it costs about a tenner for a solicitor to photocopy every page,stamp it and sign it. It takes about 5 minutes of his time.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks Batley, I'll ask him to go back to the solicitor.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:58 am

Hiya
Just searching the forum for info about getting a copy of my passport certified. The solicitor I rang wants £10 per page - that would be around £100!!!
I see that the Post Office does it much cheaper - can anyone tell me if that's good enough?? See below:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/c ... =105000818

zeddy zed

Post by zeddy zed » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:25 pm

lizziet wrote:Hiya
Just searching the forum for info about getting a copy of my passport certified. The solicitor I rang wants £10 per page - that would be around £100!!!
I see that the Post Office does it much cheaper - can anyone tell me if that's good enough?? See below:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/c ... =105000818
that is way too expensive, ring few different lawyers so you can get better price, on the top side it should not cost more then £20 to get all the passport attested. I work in a accounting firm and we get client coming in all the time regarding visas , as we make their accounts, they usually ask us where they can get their passprt attested, the solicitor we send them only charges around £10 or £15 to attest the complete passport

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

He's ripping you of big time here.

£10 per page????

Ring a few solicitors/commisioner of Oaths/Notary Public Officers etc, they will charge you maximim £15 to do every single page for you.

I would not recommend Post Office because in my opinion they are not adequately qualified to certify passports. The post Office just checks the documents but do not certify them.

No doubt more pennies saved for you. I think I will become your own PA ( but wont charge you anyway near the rates like teh above) :D :lol:

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:49 pm

batleykhan wrote: No doubt more pennies saved for you. I think I will become your own PA ( but wont charge you anyway near the rates like teh above) :D :lol:
Haha - yes, you could set up a business BK :)
Thanks very much both - I have just rung another solicitor who reckons they will charge £5 for the whole thing - not sure if that can be right but will see!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 pm

The only thing the solicitors will do is to copy EVERY PAGE of your passport(if they dont you insist on it) and then stamp each page and in the end state something like"This is certified to be a true copy of the passport of Mr(s) Lizziet".

Thats all they will do.This will take no more than 10 mins max.

That should be enough for your purpose.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:40 pm

I dont understand why batleykhan is insisting that all the copies of a the sponsor's British passport are needed. Just the biodata/picuture page/s are more than enough. If the applicant wants to prove visits by sponsor, then stamped pages of the passport could be submitted too. Why on earth would the copies of whole passport of a sponsor's British passport including blank pages would be needed?

abimaro1
Newly Registered

Post by abimaro1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:43 am

agree with BK ,
its better to be safe !

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Sorry Mrlookforward. You're wrong on this. Every page has to be certified including the blank ones.