ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change from Maiden to Married name & ILR Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

coolhead
Newly Registered

Change from Maiden to Married name & ILR Application

Post by coolhead » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 pm

My wife is on Tier 1 Visa (HSMP pre Nov 6, 2006 approval). Her passport which is in her maiden name is due to expire next month. She is planning to apply for the new passport with her married name, which means her surname will change in the new passport.

She will have to keep her old and new passport booklets together because the old passport has the current FLR stamping which will lead her to ILR (due in Oct 2011).

She is unable to decide whether to get the new passport booklet with her maiden name OR the married name. We both prefer to change her name to the married name as this has been pending since our marriage.

I'd like to know whether this change in her surname will cause any problem for the ILR approval.

I'll appreciate a quick response as she has to make an application soon.

Thanks.

diago_nelson

Re: Change from Maiden to Married name & ILR Application

Post by diago_nelson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:03 am

It wont cause any issues if she changes her name to married name on the new passport.
She will have to use the married name in the ILR appln form.
Her ILR visa will also be issued in the married name.
coolhead wrote:My wife is on Tier 1 Visa (HSMP pre Nov 6, 2006 approval). Her passport which is in her maiden name is due to expire next month. She is planning to apply for the new passport with her married name, which means her surname will change in the new passport.

She will have to keep her old and new passport booklets together because the old passport has the current FLR stamping which will lead her to ILR (due in Oct 2011).

She is unable to decide whether to get the new passport booklet with her maiden name OR the married name. We both prefer to change her name to the married name as this has been pending since our marriage.

I'd like to know whether this change in her surname will cause any problem for the ILR approval.

Thanks.

coolhead
Newly Registered

Re: Change from Maiden to Married name & ILR Application

Post by coolhead » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks for a quick response. It’s great to know that changing her name from maiden for married won't cause any issues.

I have a follow-up question on the documents which are required for the ILR of pre Nov 2006 HSMP cases. Is this a complete list OR am I missing something?

1. Old Passport (in maiden name)
2. New Passport (in married name)
3. Bank Statements in her married name
4. Pay Slips in her married name
5. Utility Bills in her married name

I know that her name will have to be changed in many places including DVLA and DWP. However, is it necessary to get the mortgage (in joint name) & property title updated with her married name?

Thanks.
diago_nelson wrote:It wont cause any issues if she changes her name to married name on the new passport.
She will have to use the married name in the ILR appln form.
Her ILR visa will also be issued in the married name.
coolhead wrote:My wife is on Tier 1 Visa (HSMP pre Nov 6, 2006 approval). Her passport which is in her maiden name is due to expire next month. She is planning to apply for the new passport with her married name, which means her surname will change in the new passport.

Thanks.

vinseh

Post by vinseh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm

hi it won't cause any problems whatsoever. I have done that myself. Changed my name to married name in the new passport. All recent docs are in my married name and even some in my maiden name. The Set(O) form has the section where you have to specify if you have been known by any other names previously, just mention her maiden name there.

Also, I recently got my ILR with no problems :)

good luck!

coolhead
Newly Registered

Post by coolhead » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks a lot vinseh & diago_nelson.