ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizen naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kesg
Newly Registered

british citizen naturalisation

Post by kesg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:33 pm

hi all

i have a question regarding naturalisation which i am wanting to undertake. i was born in england along with my parents but moved to ireland when i was very small and have approx 20 years of residency at this stage.

technically i would have to get naturalised in order to get an irish passport??

would the process be any simplier (shorter duration lol!!) for someone who has lived all their life pretty much in ireland or does it matter regardless?

thanks!

rlow68

Re: british citizen naturalisation

Post by rlow68 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:36 pm

It is going to be different, and it is going to be fast. You only need to supply the requirements, all these conditions of working or not working, I believe will not be applicable to you, so put it in good luck

kesg
Newly Registered

Post by kesg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:39 pm

hero thanks for the response i was thinking it had to be quicker as less stuff for them to check, will put in the app :)

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 am

Er, hang on kesg..
rlow68 wrote:It is going to be different, and it is going to be fast. You only need to supply the requirements, all these conditions of working or not working, I believe will not be applicable to you, so put it in good luck
rlow68, what are you basing this on?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 am

While there is special status for UK nationals . Like there are not considered alien you'll be glad to know, But sorry, I never heard of any special treatment for Naturalisation of UK Nationals. Maybe there is, But I don't know.
In fact, United Kingdom citizens are exempted from the Aliens Act by an order15 made under
section 10 of the Aliens Act 1935. The list may be varied from time to time by the Minister:
while most pre-existing Aliens Orders were elevated by section 2 of the Immigration Act
1999 to the status of primary statute and are thus now amendable only by primary statute.
The only people I know who get special treatment for Naturalisation these days are family members of Irish State Employees, Irish cronyism at work, thanks to Dermot Ahern.

Anti=fascist
Newly Registered

IRELAND one of the badest system in all world,office w

Post by Anti=fascist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:12 pm

hey to KESG. ha ha ha soooo funny to Apply for irish naturalisation,first there is no naturalisation in ireland just by name.if you camper to Uk, then you have to pray to have the most Respectfull citezenship in All world, British wow, pray to ENGLISH people with their great fast pure smooth Naturlisation,GOD bles them,i know few people who applied for brit naturalisation ,and they Received under the 2 month process, if i was there and they accept me like that fast process brit citizenship, i wil kiss every old english women and men hands with their purest system,...... note my friend here b4 you apply it wil damage your brain cuz so long atleast it take 48 months waiting for irish naturalisation,,,leave that to apply for ireland naturlisatin,go and PRAY TO english people who gave you that GOLDEN CITIZENSHIP FOR ALL UR LIFE,

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: IRELAND one of the badest system in all world,office w

Post by Ben » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Anti=fascist wrote:hey to KESG. ha ha ha soooo funny to Apply for irish naturalisation,first there is no naturalisation in ireland just by name.if you camper to Uk, then you have to pray to have the most Respectfull citezenship in All world, British wow, pray to ENGLISH people with their great fast pure smooth Naturlisation,GOD bles them,i know few people who applied for brit naturalisation ,and they Received under the 2 month process, if i was there and they accept me like that fast process brit citizenship, i wil kiss every old english women and men hands with their purest system,...... note my friend here b4 you apply it wil damage your brain cuz so long atleast it take 48 months waiting for irish naturalisation,,,leave that to apply for ireland naturlisatin,go and PRAY TO english people who gave you that GOLDEN CITIZENSHIP FOR ALL UR LIFE,
I'll have a pint of that.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 pm

acme4242 wrote:While there is special status for UK nationals . Like there are not considered alien you'll be glad to know, But sorry, I never heard of any special treatment for Naturalisation of UK Nationals. Maybe there is, But I don't know.
In fact, United Kingdom citizens are exempted from the Aliens Act by an order15 made under
section 10 of the Aliens Act 1935. The list may be varied from time to time by the Minister:
while most pre-existing Aliens Orders were elevated by section 2 of the Immigration Act
1999 to the status of primary statute and are thus now amendable only by primary statute.
The only people I know who get special treatment for Naturalisation these days are family members of Irish State Employees, Irish cronyism at work, thanks to Dermot Ahern.
Really? North of Ireland or the fact that many residents of Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Greater London and London Met would be entitled to irish citizenship via their parents or grandparents, be anything to consider? british citizens are the biggest non irish population residing in the south of ireland, or the fact that this was in place long before the eec was dreamt of? British residents, unlike other eu citizens can vote in the dail.

it has nothing to do with your cynical attitude.

maybe you should read up on irish-british relations, in particular during the second world war, in relation to freedom of movement

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:19 pm

kesg wrote:hi all

i have a question regarding naturalisation which i am wanting to undertake. i was born in england along with my parents but moved to ireland when i was very small and have approx 20 years of residency at this stage.

technically i would have to get naturalised in order to get an irish passport??

would the process be any simplier (shorter duration lol!!) for someone who has lived all their life pretty much in ireland or does it matter regardless?

thanks!
Are you a british citizen or entiled to same? if so don't bother you have EU laws and the relaxed irish - british arrangements

fraid not. the purpose of that attitude, according to the Minister would be that it would be totally unfair to priortise you as others have being waiting 2 1/2 years. it ruins the argument made by the state in a number of delay challenges in the high court, that the state are acting on a first in first out basis. with the problems in resources etc and inability to get all the various bodies (ie garda, revenue, social welfare) to pass on the relevant info, it can't be expected to get the thousands of pending applications done in time. for those reasons the courts were satisifed that the state are not doing anything illegal or intending to punish the applicants.

now of course, we all know how ridiculous this situation is. but, consider this, many of the applicants would or should be on stamp 4 status by now. they have the same rights as many citizens. even if they choose not to apply for citizenship like say nationals of china, their stamp 4 status would depend on them working or be self sufficient. it would be highely highlely highely unlikely that some one like you (or someone who does not hold any eu citizenship) to be booted out after so many years. if you are a citizen, there is no guarantee you will have work. so you are in the same boat regardless of whether you are an irish citizen or not

there is nothing on one's stamp 1, 3, or 4 cards or letters that say, after 5 years we will give you citizenship. there is also NOTHING in the legislation that says that if you meet the 5 years YOU WILL GET CITIZENSHIP

Why didn't you not apply for citizenship earlier?, like years ago when it was dead easy and quicker to get the citizenship (and when the odd politician could have helped) I take it that you are a national of another eu country because their is no way that you and your family would put up with the irish immigration laws for non eu people?

Solution, if you meet the requirements of 60 months (including 1 year continous), intention to live in ireland and keep the connection, say out of trouble, avoid soccial then you will be ok. No harm in the application, in the section of Irish association, to write the length of time in Irlend. lets assume that you have problems with say one or two criminal offences you must tell the truth and disclose same, but hammer home the fact with evidence of your strong connection to ireland

if you need a decision soon, you must put whatever prejudices against you due to the delay, before the minister.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: IRELAND one of the badest system in all world,office w

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Anti=fascist wrote:hey to KESG. ha ha ha soooo funny to Apply for irish naturalisation,first there is no naturalisation in ireland just by name.if you camper to Uk, then you have to pray to have the most Respectfull citezenship in All world, British wow, pray to ENGLISH people with their great fast pure smooth Naturlisation,GOD bles them,i know few people who applied for brit naturalisation ,and they Received under the 2 month process, if i was there and they accept me like that fast process brit citizenship, i wil kiss every old english women and men hands with their purest system,...... note my friend here b4 you apply it wil damage your brain cuz so long atleast it take 48 months waiting for irish naturalisation,,,leave that to apply for ireland naturlisatin,go and PRAY TO english people who gave you that GOLDEN CITIZENSHIP FOR ALL UR LIFE,
You see, its that type of attitude as to why the department of justice has suspicion of one's motives ie. to end the immigration hassle and to be freely able to move around the eu as an eu citizen; concerns that one may not, despite swearing in a declaration to show true faith to remain in Ireland, not to mention swearing fidelity in front of a district court judge. once the going gets tough they feck off and never return to their adopted country. typical. the minister (though wrong here) would get an impression that the applicant is not that bothered about becoming an irish citizen if they can't hack a few more years wait for their application to be processed.

Count yourself lucky this is ireland and not greece or many of the balkan countries which require far more onerous conditions such as knowing the countries language, history, anthem and or 6-10 years residency.

I feel sorry for ye. I really do, and i hope ye get the passport. but your attitude is disrepectful and one which does not deserve to be honoured with the highest honour an non Irish person could be given in this country. Merely paying tax and working can't neccessarily be enough to get it, one needs to show that they would continue to remain as an active citizen. this is promised when they go before a district court judge. if a person is not willing to commit to this, then the really have no business seeking Irish citizenship. they could always seek long term residency and or residency without condition to time.

I fullly support the notion that immigrants shoudl at least get a decision in relation to any application within at least 1 - 1 1/2 years. I also fully support any immgrant who wishes to be irish. but where did they get the notion that they have a god given right to irish citizenship simply by living here for 5 years? Why should Ireland be responsible for a naturalised person who skipped the country once they get the documents and broke their promise, when they get into trouble? Imagine the huge political embarrassment it would have caused the UK and Ireland if those Mossad/Palestinian killing who done by de facto and genuine irish and uk passport holders? Ireland had enough hassle with michael steeple in Afghanistan

I have huge difficulty in accepting the long delays, but you point me to a body of people (immigrants included) that will suggest that our government should pour more and more money into the hiring of competent staff to process applications when the money is needed for maintaining jobs and bringing in more; improving our infrastructure and health (what use is citizenship if ye are on the dole?, or stuck in a lovely hospital?)

The Brits themselveshave their own problems with this area too. look at the most famous non Brits, Mohammed Al Fayed (Brits who as we know has a longer history of immigration, thus are far more established, we don't even have an immigration minister! didn't Enda Kenny suggest in the 2007 election that he would bring one in? what did he do with the shadow cabinet? is there any talk now? nothing and no)

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 am

kesg wrote:i was born in england along with my parents but moved to ireland when i was very small and have approx 20 years of residency at this stage.
walrusgumble wrote:I take it that you are a national of another eu country
OP is a British citizen.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Ben wrote:
kesg wrote:i was born in england along with my parents but moved to ireland when i was very small and have approx 20 years of residency at this stage.
walrusgumble wrote:I take it that you are a national of another eu country
OP is a British citizen.

Sorry Ben, the reason I had asked was because Britian had changed their citizenship laws as of birth where parents were not British since I think the 1980's, so I did not want to assume. However, he did, to me, make clear that his parents were also born in the UK.