ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query about ILR on Work permit basis

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raina

Query about ILR on Work permit basis

Post by raina » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:09 pm

I just found this forum and must say that its been really helpful!!
I had a few questions regarding ILR.

In May I can apply for ILR on the basis of 4 years on Work permit.?
My questions are

1.) When should I call Croyden to book an appointment. Can I book now for May or is there a time limit?

2.) As my employer has all my original Work permits with him is it okay to go without them and only the relevant stamps in my passport?

Will the stamps be proof ?

Thanks for any insight......

basis

Post by basis » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Welcome to the board.

Just use the Search functionality and you will find that normally u would get all info you may need.

No it is too early to take an appointment now.
http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic. ... ppointment

Better to get the Wps from the employer. Anyway you would need a letter from the employer. But (of course my experience is very old and now outdated) it is not needed to take your WPs with you.

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic. ... +documents

Good luck.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Re: Query about ILR on Work permit basis

Post by bbdivo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:45 pm

raina wrote:I just found this forum and must say that its been really helpful!!
I had a few questions regarding ILR.

In May I can apply for ILR on the basis of 4 years on Work permit.?
My questions are

1.) When should I call Croyden to book an appointment. Can I book now for May or is there a time limit?

2.) As my employer has all my original Work permits with him is it okay to go without them and only the relevant stamps in my passport?

Will the stamps be proof ?

Thanks for any insight......
Not sure how far in advance Croydon accept appointments, I did mine through Birmingham PEO and called 2 weeks in advance and got the exact date I wanted.

Work permits are not on the list of required documentation however, I was asked for them when I went for my interview, and there was a lot of umming and ahhing from them (as I had not taken mine) before they accepted my application, I would definately take them. Unfortunately my employee letter did not state when I started and how long I had been with them, just that my position was continuing, I overheard them (supervisor and case worker) saying if those details were on the letter it would have been okay, they ended up just doing a whole lot of checking on a computer.

raina

Post by raina » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks Basis for your tips. This site is so very intensive and informative that it would have taken me a long time to navigate.

bbdivo-Thankd for your info also. My employer basically just keeps all our Workpermits with him as he applies on our behalf.
Maybe I should request him to give me a copy of at least the current one and carry it along.

With the impending change hanging in the air of ILR from 4-5 years I certainly dont want to make a mistake when I apply!!

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:05 pm

raina wrote:Thanks Basis for your tips. This site is so very intensive and informative that it would have taken me a long time to navigate.

bbdivo-Thankd for your info also. My employer basically just keeps all our Workpermits with him as he applies on our behalf.
Maybe I should request him to give me a copy of at least the current one and carry it along.

With the impending change hanging in the air of ILR from 4-5 years I certainly dont want to make a mistake when I apply!!
You also dont want to have to pay £500 again! I would take all WP's I had 2, one for 3 years and then an extension. They wanted to see the WP's that covered the 4yr period.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:11 am

Normally such rule changes apply to people who get a WP (for exmaple) beyond a certain cut-off date.
IMHO they can't change the rule for people who are a few months away from their four year period. So, you shouldn't worry too much about that, but make sure you have all and any document that could possibly be asked!
raina wrote:

raina

Post by raina » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:01 pm

mhunjn-I do hope you are right!! I know what you say makes perfect sense.

Actually I have finshed 9 years in the UK 5 of which I was a Fully paying student Overseas student and then got this Work permit.

Do you think I should carry any papers from the time when I was a student? Apart from the relevant degrees etc.

As I think they have all this information in their computers when they switched my category from Student to Work Permit?

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:06 pm

I would say at a minimum carry the documents you need to cover the qualifying period, so if the four years are covered by work permits carry those, if is 3 1/2 work permit 1/2 student then carry something to cover the 1/2 year.

You could also just take everything with you and produce the documention as and when they ask for it!

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Though this is not the most important, I think it would be good to carry atleast your degree certificate or a letter from the uni which shows that you were in full time education.

However, I still think that you should take your original work permit letters with you. If everything is above board, then you shouldn't have any problems getting your WP letters from your employer. This is important as it's because of those WP that you are claiming ILR.

raina

Post by raina » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:22 pm

mhunjn and bbdivo - Have noted what both of you have advised and will arrange to get the WP's from my employer.