ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on Correction to Naturalisation Certificate

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

r6njit
Newly Registered

Query on Correction to Naturalisation Certificate

Post by r6njit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:17 pm

My wife's first name on the naturalisation certificate needs correcting.

Called up contact centre to enquire the process and the fellow said "Original passport" or "Copies certified by Solicitor" - it doesnt say certified copies anywhere on the invitation letter (which recommends attending the ceremony and sending the just the copy of the passport)...

I've searched other threads and havent found anything that said 'certified by solicitor' - can anyone guide?

Also, What are the timescales like for such corrections? Has anyone recently had to make amendments to the naturalisation certificate? I could see some threads but the last updates were for about 2005/06.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Why was it different? When you submitted your naturalization application, you will write on that line what name should be put on invitation and also certificate. Since the application is successful, they will not ask you for any legalized copy of passport. You should ask directly the HO, make sure you you did write the correct name. But I am afraid changes can be done after the ceremony.

r6njit
Newly Registered

Post by r6njit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 am

This was a mistake by HO...

Why would we want to change the name that has been on all legal documents for all these years!?

It's just the inconvenience and delay that is a bit annoying... not to forget the costs we incur...

anyone who's had been in similar situation?[/quote]

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:54 pm

You should contact HO before you book your ceremony, that's the best way. It must be corrected now. There is a number there on your invitation call that. As after the ceremony, it might take long time and might create problems.

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 pm

My certificate had an error on it as well (wrong country of birth). I went to the ceremony first, received the incorrect certificate, and returned it afterwards to HO with a copy of my passport and some print-outs regarding the location of my place of birth. They sent me a new certificate without problems, I think it took about 2 weeks or so if I remember correctly.

FlorenceG
Newly Registered

Post by FlorenceG » Sat May 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Has anyone had a naturalisation certificate correction done recently (Error made by HO)?

If so, what was your approximate timescale to get a corrected certificate?

A year ago, the timescale was two weeks. But with current application backlogs, have the processing times on certificate corrections also increased?

tom1
Newly Registered

Post by tom1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:36 pm

FlorenceG wrote:Has anyone had a naturalisation certificate correction done recently (Error made by HO)?

If so, what was your approximate timescale to get a corrected certificate?

A year ago, the timescale was two weeks. But with current application backlogs, have the processing times on certificate corrections also increased?
i sent my naturalization certificate back for correction in name (as surname and forename altered) on 17/08/2011 and got back corrected certificate on 31/08/2011 less then two weeks.i just sent my passport and naturalization certificate to HO for correction :D

srm
Newly Registered

timelines

Post by srm » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi,

Has anyone got their natualisation certificate corrected recently?
How much time it took?

I have sent mine and already 4 weeks have passed and no response

There is no reposnse on the contact number mentioned on the invitation letter

I am worried and not sure what should be the next step

Can someone please share their experience and what should I do?

Thanks
Shyam

la.ray
Newly Registered

Post by la.ray » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi Shyam,

Can you please tell me where you sent the certificate, and if you have received your corrected certificate? The city of birth has been spelled incorrectly and I need it corrected.

Thanks,
La

srm
Newly Registered

No luck

Post by srm » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 pm

[quote="la.ray"]Hi Shyam,

Can you please tell me where you sent the certificate, and if you have received your corrected certificate? The city of birth has been spelled incorrectly and I need it corrected.

Thanks,
La[/quote]

Hi La,

I had post my documents at
UKBA NW Region, Nationality, PO Box 306, The Plaza, Old Hall Street, Liverpool L3 9QJ
(this is what was mentioned behind the confirmation letter)

It's more then 10 weeks and I have not got any response from them :-(

Not sure what needs to be done now

Thanks
Shyam

la.ray
Newly Registered

Post by la.ray » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks Shyam.

I sent an email to ukbanationalityenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk and received an automated response which states this:
13. Amendments required to a certificate of naturalisation or registration
You should be advised to submit your request, with original certificate and appropriate documents, to the following address:
UK Border Agency
ECT1
Department 17
PO Box 306
LIVERPOOL
L2 0QN
Also, today I went to the Citizenship Unit at the county council, where I attended the ceremony, and they gave me an envelope with the address where the certificate should be posted and it is the same the one I cited above.

I'll post the certificate tomorrow.... don't know what I can do after that.

la.ray
Newly Registered

Post by la.ray » Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Shyam,

Have you heard anything yet?

Thanks,
La

la.ray
Newly Registered

Post by la.ray » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:41 pm

I have received my corrected certificate today, 4 weeks to the date, and I wasn't charged any fees.

Moderators - you might want to make this a sticky to help those that go through the pain of having their certificate corrected.

Good luck everyone, and thank you for the support.

- La