ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please Help: Marriage Question in Poland!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SoftwareEng
Newly Registered

Please Help: Marriage Question in Poland!

Post by SoftwareEng » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:54 pm

Hello All!

I am Ukrainian Citizen, I met Polish Girl in Kiev last Year, since then she visited me few times and now we are planning to get married, However she doesn’t want to live in Ukraine she wants to get married in Poland this means I have to move to Poland to get married and live there, can anyone please advice me the process how it works what to do, will I be able to work in Poland? How long does it take to become Polish/EU Citizen? How to get a work permits? Do people Speak Russian or English in Poland?

Thank you in advance!
Best Regards,
Stas B.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Do people Speak Russian or English in Poland?
People speak Polish in Poland.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SoftwareEng
Newly Registered

Post by SoftwareEng » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:59 pm

Dawie wrote:
Do people Speak Russian or English in Poland?
People speak Polish in Poland.
I know I am in a process of learning Polish now...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:10 pm

SoftwareEng, I don't know the answer to your questions, but once the two of you are married, it is possible for the two of you to live and work in the UK. Your wife (as she would be) would need to register under the Workers Registration Scheme, and as her family member you would need an EEA Family Permit in your passport. Once you have that you too would be able to live and work in the UK.

But of course neither of you might want to move to the UK.
John

SoftwareEng
Newly Registered

Post by SoftwareEng » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:21 pm

John wrote:SoftwareEng, I don't know the answer to your questions, but once the two of you are married, it is possible for the two of you to live and work in the UK. Your wife (as she would be) would need to register under the Workers Registration Scheme, and as her family member you would need an EEA Family Permit in your passport. Once you have that you too would be able to live and work in the UK.

But of course neither of you might want to move to the UK.
Hi John,

Thank you!

I would love to live in London... But how is it possible, if I marry her in Poland then how can I move to London? I think I need to wait some time to become EU Citizen or how does it work? I am sure no one will let me in to UK with Ukrainian passport, What is the Law in Europe on Marriage?

Thank you
Stas

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:41 pm

Sorry I know nothing about Polish marriage law ... you will need to ask your fiancée about that.

Moving to the UK? Let's take this in stages. Firstly your wife (as she will be), as a Polish citizen, and therefore an EEA Citizen, she has the right to live and work in the UK. As an A8 citizen she would need to register under the WRS previously mentioned.

Secondly, because of EU/EEA legislation, the family members of an EEA Citizen have the right to live and work in the UK, if the EEA Family Member is exercising their treaty rights .... even if that family member is a so-called Third-Country national, such as yourself. But an EEA Family Permit is needed in order to prove that right.

So after the marriage has happened you will indeed be a Family Member of an EEA Citizen ... so the two of you moving to the UK and living and working is entirely possible. What is not possible is for you alone to move to the UK .... but then as a newly married couple I doubt whether you would want to do that anyway. :wink:
John

SoftwareEng
Newly Registered

Post by SoftwareEng » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 pm

John wrote:Sorry I know nothing about Polish marriage law ... you will need to ask your fiancée about that.

Moving to the UK? Let's take this in stages. Firstly your wife (as she will be), as a Polish citizen, and therefore an EEA Citizen, she has the right to live and work in the UK. As an A8 citizen she would need to register under the WRS previously mentioned.

Secondly, because of EU/EEA legislation, the family members of an EEA Citizen have the right to live and work in the UK, if the EEA Family Member is exercising their treaty rights .... even if that family member is a so-called Third-Country national, such as yourself. But an EEA Family Permit is needed in order to prove that right.

So after the marriage has happened you will indeed be a Family Member of an EEA Citizen ... so the two of you moving to the UK and living and working is entirely possible. What is not possible is for you alone to move to the UK .... but then as a newly married couple I doubt whether you would want to do that anyway. :wink:

Hi John,

Thank you again!

The only thing I dont understand how will I be able to get to London, I guess I will need to get some kind of a EU passport or temp documents, I cannot find any law on Polish Marriage, how does it work in UK once you get married what is the next step, do you know?
or how long does it take to become Citizen after you marry to EU Citizen?

Thank you so much!

Best Regards,
Stas

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:50 pm

I guess I will need to get some kind of a EU passport or temp documents
You would use your Ukrainian passport into which will have been inserted an EEA Family Permit.
how long does it take to become Citizen after you marry to EU Citizen?
EU Citizen? That only comes from being a Citizen of an EU state. and the nationality laws of the EU States do differ.

The UK's law? The present law says you would be able to apply for Naturalisation as British after five years living in the UK.
I cannot find any law on Polish Marriage
Ask your fiancée!!!!!
how does it work in UK once you get married what is the next step, do you know?
It could well be the case that your wife will first need to come to the UK and get a job and yet registered in the WRS. Once that has been achieved you would apply for your EEA Family Permit.

Actually there are a number of ways to play this. Your fiancée could move to the UK before the marriage, get a job and registered under the WRS. Then you would apply for a fiancé visa to join her in the UK, then the two of you could marry in the UK.
John

tuning-fork
Newly Registered

Post by tuning-fork » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi John, I think you’ve omitted one important point. For example: How can a non-EU or third-world country national who has an EU / EEA spouse get a visa to the UK? I think the latter needs Permanent Residence Permit in the EU country where he or she got married before applying for EEA family permit at the British embassy. In most cases, some embassies require a long-term or Permanent Residence Permit before issuing visa. Otherwise, the latter will be obliged to apply at the UK embassy in the country of his origin if he or she is on tourist visa or asylum procedure. Don’t you agree with me?