ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming on PRSI, though am a British Citizen

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kinneaskink
Newly Registered

Claiming on PRSI, though am a British Citizen

Post by kinneaskink » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:05 am

Hi, I don't know if any of you have encountered this or can help.

I am a British Citizen with a British passport, I lived the first 14 years of my life in Scotland before my parents and I moved to Ireland.

Recently I have moved back to Scotland, after a year long working visa in Canada. I am 24 years old. Having left the country at 14, I have never known my National Insurance Number. I sent away for a replacement card, after being unable to get any help to get my number any faster.

I worked in Ireland and therefore have PRSI credits and wish to claim unemployment against those. HOWEVER, because I have no National Insurance Number, I am having trouble finding work, the JobCentrePlus in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire won't set up a new claim for me, or even see me and on top of all this my parents are losing money on their benefits as I am a person with an 'unknown' income (I have none and my National Insurance Number has never been used) sleeping on their floor in their house.

It's very frustrating to see my parents lose money over this and myself unable to claim benefits or find a job.

Is there anything I can do to make the government send me my replacement card faster, or the Jobcentre give me the benefits I deserve based on the Irish tax credits I amassed over three years.

Thank you for any help,

Lorna

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:15 am

Get a job - my partner got one easily without a NINO - that followed shortly after.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:49 am

Wanderer wrote:Get a job - my partner got one easily without a NINO - that followed shortly after.
Is it on back old days or just now?
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:57 am

Tim555 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Get a job - my partner got one easily without a NINO - that followed shortly after.
Bout a year ago....

Mind you they didn't even check her visa....

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
Bout a year ago....

Mind you they didn't even check her visa....
Very Lucky :)
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

kinneaskink
Newly Registered

Post by kinneaskink » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:48 pm

ERM...I'm trying to Get a job, I've applied to a lot of places but have yet to hear back.

But it doesn't change the fact that in the meantime I have literally NO EARNING, and now my parents are losing money because I can't prove I have no earning.

Also I may be rejected for a bank account.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:59 pm

I meant just get a Mcdonalds job or summert - enough to get the NINO than get sacked!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 pm

I have never known my National Insurance Number. I sent away for a replacement card
I am not at all sure that is the correct action. You are assuming that you have actually been issued with a NI number, but as no Child Benefit claim was in place for you in the UK when you were 15-16, it is probably the case that no NI number has been allocated automatically. After all it is the Child Benefit records that lead to most NI numbers being issued.

So I think that rather than applying for a replacement card, you actually need to apply for a NI number, a different procedure.
John

kinneaskink
Newly Registered

Post by kinneaskink » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:42 pm

John wrote:
I have never known my National Insurance Number. I sent away for a replacement card
I am not at all sure that is the correct action. You are assuming that you have actually been issued with a NI number, but as no Child Benefit claim was in place for you in the UK when you were 15-16, it is probably the case that no NI number has been allocated automatically. After all it is the Child Benefit records that lead to most NI numbers being issued.

So I think that rather than applying for a replacement card, you actually need to apply for a NI number, a different procedure.
I have a National Insurance number. When I called the hotline they said I had one. And the government was not aware we'd left, we'd also claimed child benefit until that point. :)

Or rather, what the guy said is 'you have one, but it's never been activated'

I assumed he meant used.