ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Kids Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kpr29
Newly Registered

Kids Citizenship

Post by kpr29 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 am

Hi There

My 16 month old twins got settlement visa in June 2009. Can I apply for my kids citizenship now? Is there any qualifying period for the kids too?
My husband and I got ILR in May 2008. we are applying for our british citizenship now, so can I apply for my kids along with our applications or is it better to wait until we get the citizenship and then apply for kids.
Please suggest.

Thanks
KPR

vinseh

Re: Kids Citizenship

Post by vinseh » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:17 pm

kpr29 wrote:Hi There

My 16 month old twins got settlement visa in June 2009. Can I apply for my kids citizenship now? Is there any qualifying period for the kids too?
My husband and I got ILR in May 2008. we are applying for our british citizenship now, so can I apply for my kids along with our applications or is it better to wait until we get the citizenship and then apply for kids.
Please suggest.

Thanks
KPR
if your kids are born in the UK they became eligible for british citizenship the moment you got your ILR i.e. if they are born here you actually didn't have to wait this long as they became eligible for citizenship even before you did :)

kpr29
Newly Registered

Post by kpr29 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 am

HI There
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not providing all the details in my original post.
My husband and I got ILR in May 2008.
My twins were born in India in Nov 2008. They are now in UK with us on Settlement visa status (got Settlement visa in June 2009).

Since they were born in India, they wont be british automatically.
My husband and I are applying for our citizenship now, so was wondering if we could apply for our kids citizenship along with our applications?

I am not sure if the kids have to wait until one year after they got settlement visa in order to apply for the citizenship??
Please advice.

Thanks
KPR

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:18 pm

kpr29, thanks for that fuller explanation.

When you and your spouse submit your forms AN, forms MN1 can be submitted for the twins. That is, you and your spouse will be applying for Naturalisation, and the children will be applying for Registration as British. Different qualifying conditions apply.

Naturalisation? Registration? The difference? Once granted, effectively nothing. But as said above, during the application process, different conditions apply.

Residence conditions for a child applying for Registration as British? 2 years, if the child is at least 13 years of age, but clearly your twins are far younger than that.
John

kpr29
Newly Registered

Post by kpr29 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi John
Thank you very much for the valuable information and advice.
Just one more question, Would it be a better idea if I apply for my kids registration as British after My (and my hysband's) naturalisation application is successful?? or..would it not matter.
My concern is, if my application is unsuccessful by any chance then my kids application might be unsuccessful too... and I would waste money and time.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance
KPR

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Your argument is good, but I point out that both parent's Naturalisation applications would need to fail, in order for the twins applications to be rejected.

But realistically why would the Naturalisation applications fail?
John

kpr29
Newly Registered

Post by kpr29 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi John
Thanks again for your quick response.
I am quite sure I (and my husband) meet all the requirements to apply for naturalisation. I was considering the 0.1% chance of it being unsuccessful.
Thanks for the moral support. I have NCS appointment tomorrow, I am going to include my kids application too. Hope everything goes well.

Thank you.
KPR