ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American looking to extend holiday in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stepanga
Newly Registered

American looking to extend holiday in Ireland

Post by stepanga » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello All,

I am a US citizen visiting family in Ireland (my sister is married to an Irish citizen) and I have been approved to stay in the country for three months. I would like to extend my stay here for a year. I will continue to live with my family so I will not be a burden on the state. Does anyone have any advice on how I can extend my stay? I only have a few more weeks before I have to leave.

Thank you so much!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Go to the nearest GNIB office and plead your case (it's not an entitlement to have your permission to remain extended).

Or you could do nothing.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

stepanga
Newly Registered

Post by stepanga » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for your advice, Ben.

I understand that it's not an entitlement... and I will respect the decision that is made. Do you have any other suggestions on what I should have prepared in order to plead my case? (My sister doesn't have any family in Ireland and she is having a hard time right now after the birth of her child)

Thanks again.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:45 pm

The main concern of the GNIB will be be that you do not work, you do not try to claim money from the state and you will go home at the end of your stay.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Reading this informational blurb from the INIS, the first step will be to register with the local Garda station. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000279

What you're hoping to get is a Stamp 3 for a limited amount of time (the right to reside in Ireland without permission to work or to receive state funds).

Since the Guards tend to make things up as they go along and often don't know of what they speak, I'd be prepared with the following: (1) A formal letter of sponsorship from your sister and her spouse outlining the reasons for your stay and how and why they intend to sponsor your remaining in Ireland (2) Evidence that both you and they have sufficient funds to cover your stay in Ireland (3) private health insurance for the duration of your stay (4) Evidence that you fully intend on leaving Ireland at the end of your extended stay, e.g. job offer, family commitments, financial commitments etc.

These are things I'm just writing on the spot. Don't be surprised if the Guards either refer you back to making a written application to the INIS--unfortunately, I have no idea how long that process would take.

That said, the Guard might be having a wonderful day and stamp you through without a problem. But your first point of call will be the local Garda station. They will be best suited to advise you what documents you need and how/if the process can be completed.

Best wishes.

stepanga
Newly Registered

Post by stepanga » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:28 pm

Sideshowsue,

Thank you SOOOO much!! You have been INCREDIBLY helpful!!! I am certainly going to take your advice and with fingers crossed, lets hope it all works out!!

Thank you again!!

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:12 pm

I know it wouldn't be ideal, but if you are between 18 and 30, you should qualify for a working holiday visa. The US and Ireland started this about a year ago. I don't know all the details, but it could be worth looking into. The one catch would be that you would have to return to the US to make the application and show you have the funds in you're account to sustain yourself. You will be able to take yo casual employment in Ireland though.

Again, it's still pretty new, so I'm not sure of the details and processing times, but it's always an option if the GNIB say no, and in all honesty, I would be surprised if they said yes. I would be sure to go there as early as possible or to ring/email them for advise, as they may require you to have comprehensive medial insurance as well.

Best of luck.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:18 pm

I think that working holiday visa deal with the US requires the person to be a recent university graduate. I've worked with someone who had come in under the scheme and before they applied they asked me what I needed to provide to show I was a recent college graduate. Couldn't help them with that one as the agreement between Ireland and New Zealand is different from that with the US.