ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing GNIB for schengen visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lemon@lemon.za.net
Newly Registered

Renewing GNIB for schengen visa

Post by lemon@lemon.za.net » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi,

Currently our GNIB cards are valid until August 2010. We are trying to plan various holidays in June/July 2010 but need to apply for a Schengen Visa for pretty much anywhere in Europe. It would seem that no embassy is willing to issue a visa unless your GNIB card is valid for 3 months after return from holiday, which makes it kinda difficult. Specially seeing as it is almost impossible to get your GNIB renewed earlier than 2 weeks from expiry.

Curious to know what others have done facing similar problems?

thanks
charl

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 pm

I dont think there is any short cut other than to wait and renew your GNIB Card and get the Schengen Visa before any travelling.

nanette
Member of Standing

Post by nanette » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:03 pm

go at GNIB and explain to them, they should extend it for you. This happened to me once when I used to get those bloddy shengen visa...

Nana

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:15 pm

go to GNIB and explain ur situation, hope they can help

sa_girl
Newly Registered

Post by sa_girl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:00 pm

if i'm not mistaken, the Dutch Embassy makes exceptions to this rule. has anyone applied for a visa and was refused (on the basis of the GNIB card expiring before 3 months)? Wondering whether providing info from INIS (you can only renew 2 weeks before expiry) might help?

P.S I tried extending my stay but was told only family emergencies warrants an early renewal or extension, holidays don't count!!

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 am

Just go and tell the GNIB that you need your Card renewed and why.

They did this many times for me and my family.

Eventually they got tired of us asking and renewed them for five years. That saw us all through to naturalisation. You need to be nice, not demanding like some of the posts to this forum.