ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Visa by Studying in the USA?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

divalou
Newly Registered

Getting Visa by Studying in the USA?

Post by divalou » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi there;
I have been looking into getting in to the USA, and it seems quite difficult unless you are a doctor/related to an american/married to an american.

So I wondered if enrolling into a college course in America, then becoming more qualified in my profession and so more desirable, is a good way of getting in?

Can you get student/study visa at any age?
Would the visa just be for certain subjects i.e medical?
Can you work whilst studying on this visa?
Can you then apply for a work visa once the course is completed?
Is a Hairdresser classified as a Professional in terms of skill/trade etc?

I was looking to either do a cosmetology course or hairdressing tutor/teacher course.
My boyfriend was planning on doing the PGA Golf Pro course.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lou x

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: Getting Visa by Studying in the USA?

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 am

1. People can get a visa to study anything they want in the US, not just certain subjects, and at any age. You can work, but only part time and on campus. However, studying in the US can be very, very expensive. You should check the fees for non-US citizens on the website of the school you plan to attend.

2. You don't apply for a work visa in the US, the prospective employer applies for you on your behalf if they are interested in hiring you.

3. Only "specialty occupations" qualify for H1B visas. I'm pretty sure hairdresser would not qualify. Generally it's accepted that if the job requires an undergraduate degree than it's H1B eligible, although this isn't strictly necessary.

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 am

If you study for Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate you'll be eligible to extend your stay for 1 year if you find work in a field related to your degree. During that 1 year, your employer may apply for the H1B. If you go into the science or maths fields and interested in teaching, then Teach for America has an option for you to teach in Texas (possibly other locations in the future for international graduates). Basically, you apply for the 1 year extension and then will be given a 2nd year; however, there is no guarantee of a job after the completion of the 2 year commitment, although it's easy to find teaching jobs in science and maths.

As for cosmetology, you may be able to apply for a 1 year extension, but I don't know how long you'll be able to remain in the US. If you're really interested in remaining in the US, I would look as shortage area jobs, which will all require a 4 year degree. I know teaching (middle grades and secondary science and maths) and nursing are two big areas, but you will need a 4 year degree.

You are typically allowed to work 20 hours per week whilst studying full-time.

Best of luck.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:47 am

kabuki wrote:If you study for Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate you'll be eligible to extend your stay for 1 year if you find work in a field related to your degree. During that 1 year, your employer may apply for the H1B.
This is the first time I hear about this. You got any sources?

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:41 am

Marco 72 wrote:
kabuki wrote:If you study for Bachelor, Masters or Doctorate you'll be eligible to extend your stay for 1 year if you find work in a field related to your degree. During that 1 year, your employer may apply for the H1B.
Sources?????????? :?
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

sjohnson2
Newly Registered

Post by sjohnson2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Marco 72 wrote:
Same here.. I know this is true of the UK, but in the US I haven't heard of this.. ?

GD78

Post by GD78 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 am

Marco 72 wrote:
What the poster is implying is that after a person has received a Bachelor's, Master's, or a PHD...they are allowed to apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training)...this, if approved, is valid for 1 year and serves as an employment authorization from immigration.

On OPT a person cannot be unemployed for more than 90 days or else the person would become "out of status".

Go to any major US university's website and check out the "International Students" section and you should be able to find all this information mentioned there as well as the US Immigration website.

I've done OPT myself and know first hand what is required...but that was in 2008...not sure if the rules have changed now.

kabuki
United States of America

Post by kabuki » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 am

GD78 wrote:
Marco 72 wrote:
What the poster is implying is that after a person has received a Bachelor's, Master's, or a PHD...they are allowed to apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training)...this, if approved, is valid for 1 year and serves as an employment authorization from immigration.

On OPT a person cannot be unemployed for more than 90 days or else the person would become "out of status".

Go to any major US university's website and check out the "International Students" section and you should be able to find all this information mentioned there as well as the US Immigration website.

I've done OPT myself and know first hand what is required...but that was in 2008...not sure if the rules have changed now.
Thanks, GD78. Sorry, I haven't been on the sight lately, so I was unable to respond. The OPT is usually the best route. It's not a guarantee, but it's available. If you're planning to be a maths or science teacher, you can check out Teach for America as well, as they are accepting international applicant for Houston schools, and they are hoping to expand this as there is a real need for maths and science teachers.

Again, if you're interested in this route, you should check out the international offices at the unis you're interested in. I'm from the States and have had international friens go this route. They were able to switch to the H1B afterwards as well, but you would want to be targeting markets of need and growth.

Best of luck to all.

saunderscolin15
Newly Registered

Can Apply for Student Visa

Post by saunderscolin15 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Student Visa is the best option for you to enter US for long term, visit visa is another option but you will not be able to stay more than 6 months on visit/tourist visa. Now, if you want to get a student visa, you need apply in Universities also you will have to appear in GRE examination, if I am wrong correct me. Universities can accept your request of admission and may well give you scholarship(in the form of waiver in tuition fees). If at all you are asked to pay the whole tuition fees then you need to present the proof of income that you have enough money to take care of your studies and other expenses during your studies. On completing the education, you can stay there for 1 (or 2 yr) I am not very sure about it, during which you can find yourself a job and someone who can sponsor you for H1B visa.
USAFIS