ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes to the Immigration Rules on 6 April and 7 April 2010

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amreenmalik

Changes to the Immigration Rules on 6 April and 7 April 2010

Post by amreenmalik » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Dear All,
Just looked at the following links,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -t2-and-ir

and

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... med-forces

which says Changes to the Immigration Rules.
I am planning to apply for my ILR(5year WP) with two dependants by the second week of April. Me and my wife have already taken Life in the U.K test in 2007. What does this change mean. Can I go for my ILR application with that or are they asking for something else as well now. Anyway, they have increased the application fees now, are there any other changes apart from the fees. Please advise. Thankyou.
-----------
ESOL/Knowledge of Life
We are also making some changes to the requirements concerning English language
qualifications for migrants seeking indefinite leave to remain in the UK. It is important that
immigrants seeking permanent residence in the UK have some understanding of one of the
native languages of this country (English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) and of life in the United
Kingdom. This will help to ensure that they integrate more easily into the British way of life.
I have today laid changes to the Immigration Rules which will ensure that all applicants relying
on qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages will study at accredited colleges;
ensuring the quality of provision and preventing the possibilities of abuse of the provisions and
exploitation of migrants. I have also clarified the progression which migrants are required to
demonstrate before applying for permanent residence. Additional technical changes bring the
Rules into line with current terminology for the relevant qualifications.
Equivalent amendments are also being made to the Regulations governing applications for
Naturalisation as British Citizens.

neerma
Newly Registered

Post by neerma » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm

I am too worried at looking the word CHANGES.
I am not sure about what they want to do now. I have also taken my Life in U.K test and waiting to apply in April under 5 years WP. May some experiencd people shed some light on this subject please.

Thanks,
N

amreenmalik

Post by amreenmalik » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 am

Hi,
Has somebody got any updates reagrding this.
Please advise.
Thankyou.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:44 am

These changes are meant for specific categories, Tier and Tier 2, armed forces etc, not for those who have already qualified for ILR, like yourself.
Best Regards

amreenmalik

Post by amreenmalik » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks gidoc,
I am on WP(5 years). So does it mean that it does not apply to me.
Regards.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

You only have to pay as per new fee, thats all.
best regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 pm

amreenmalik, you need to appreciate the following.

There are two different paths .... passing the Life in the UK Citizenship test ..... or .... getting a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course.

You have gone down the first of those two routes, and that is unaffected by the change you mention. What has been tightened is the second route, which applies to those of below-average language ability. What UKBA has done is to tighten up on the way such courses are conducted, and who is able to conduct such courses.

So amreenmalik, nothing at all for you to worry about.
John

amreenmalik

Post by amreenmalik » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 am

Ok. I understand now.
Thanks John and thanks gidoc.