ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unemployment benefits??

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

markowna
Newly Registered

Unemployment benefits??

Post by markowna » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am

I am Polish and married to an Indian, living in Germany.
We both will be receiving our company independent work permits this month. Even though he has already been searching for employment here since the last couple of months, the market conditions have been such that it has not resulted into employment even after a lot of effort. So with this work permit soon in hand would he be able to get unemployment benefits from the German government even though he has not worked here before and never had the opportunity to pay tax?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 am

I doubt it. Firstly, he would have had to have been working for a certain period of time previously (unemployment benefits work like an insurance). Secondly, his current immigration status may not allow it. I am not sure what you mean by 'company independent work permits'. If you have been working for a while now you may well be fully 'freizügigkeitsberechtigt' by now. In any case, better ask this question on a German forum.

markowna
Newly Registered

Post by markowna » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 am

86ti wrote:I doubt it. Firstly, he would have had to have been working for a certain period of time previously (unemployment benefits work like an insurance). Secondly, his current immigration status may not allow it. I am not sure what you mean by 'company independent work permits'. If you have been working for a while now you may well be fully 'freizügigkeitsberechtigt' by now. In any case, better ask this question on a German forum.
His current immigration status is of the EU spouse so all the rules applying to me apply to him.
Yes, 'freizügigkeitsberechtigt' this is the work permit I mean.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am

markowna wrote:
86ti wrote:I doubt it. Firstly, he would have had to have been working for a certain period of time previously (unemployment benefits work like an insurance). Secondly, his current immigration status may not allow it. I am not sure what you mean by 'company independent work permits'. If you have been working for a while now you may well be fully 'freizügigkeitsberechtigt' by now. In any case, better ask this question on a German forum.
His current immigration status is of the EU spouse so all the rules applying to me apply to him.
Yes, 'freizügigkeitsberechtigt' this is the work permit I mean.
That't not a work permit. He will get a 'Aufenthaltskarte' and you a 'Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung'. 'Freizügigkeitsberechtigt' is an adjective which means that you either are or have been exercising your treaty rights (for some reason the UK and Ireland refer directly to the EU treaty while in German one typically speaks of the right to free movement). Anyway, the rules for 'Arbeitslosengeld' will apply. Not many people here may be able to help you though.