ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to get Son studying abroad to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

soulfullness

How to get Son studying abroad to UK

Post by soulfullness » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi

Is there any possibilty to get permanent visa to son who is 23 years old and studying out of UK to UK. My son totally depends on me for financial needs. I got my ILR recently. Please advise. Any consequences due to child benefits been paid to me for other dependents?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: How to get Son studying abroad to UK

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 pm

soulfullness wrote:Hi

Is there any possibilty to get permanent visa to son who is 23 years old and studying out of UK to UK. My son totally depends on me for financial needs. I got my ILR recently. Please advise. Any consequences due to child benefits been paid to me for other dependents?

Thanks
'Fraid not, a 23 year old is deemed to be an independent adult capable if living his/her own life.

Re Child Benefit you are entitled to it if you have ILR but not before and cannot be backdated.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 am

Do not you think it is possible to bring son who totally depend financial need s from parents can come under elderly people depend on UK PR/Citizen scheme as there is no relatives all migrated different countries? Please comment

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 pm

soulfullness wrote:Do not you think it is possible to bring son who totally depend financial need s from parents can come under elderly people depend on UK PR/Citizen scheme as there is no relatives all migrated different countries? Please comment
No, the elderly relative visa applies only to those over 65 in dire circumstances back home, plus it now costs (well in a few days it will) £1600.....

A 23 year old adult is young and free person, and the UK immigration system makes no provisions for visas for such people unless they can qualify in their own right.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Any person over the age of 18 is deemed not to be a dependant and will not be treated as such by the Home Office

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:13 pm

If there are exceptional compassionate circumstances, the following relatives who meet the above requirements may be allowed to join as settled person here:

â– sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, uncles and aunts over the age of 18; and
â– parents and grandparents under the age of 65.

Please see above qoute from UKBA website Probably there is a way for son /daughters to come on compassionate ground, it seems.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes, but what about your son's situation inspires exceptional compassion. The situations that those rules apply to really are exceptional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 am

soulfullness wrote:If there are exceptional compassionate circumstances, the following relatives who meet the above requirements may be allowed to join as settled person here:

â– sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, uncles and aunts over the age of 18; and
â– parents and grandparents under the age of 65.

Please see above qoute from UKBA website Probably there is a way for son /daughters to come on compassionate ground, it seems.
This applies to the terminally ill, living on an erupting volcanic island type situations - there has to be extreme compelling reasons.

You son is an independent adult well capable of making his own way, the UK does not provide for the immigration of connected adults in this way.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 am

Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:53 am

I fail to see that a 23 year old person who is voluntarily studying outside the UK has any compelling reasons for coming to live in the UK.
If the OP feels that he has the right then why has he not applied sooner or is he waiting for his son to FINISH his course before applying?

Sunskykelilo
Newly Registered

Post by Sunskykelilo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:30 pm

mochyn wrote:I fail to see that a 23 year old person who is voluntarily studying outside the UK has any compelling reasons for coming to live in the UK.
If the OP feels that he has the right then why has he not applied sooner or is he waiting for his son to FINISH his course before applying?
Just out of curiousity would it make a difference if the 23 year old was living in the UK and had nowhere else to go i.e. no relatives in other countries to turn to for support and no financial ability to just leave the UK and start life elsewhere?
Would the UK border agency just deport the 23 year old or refuse any appeal on the basis of family life or the dreaded article 8 on this forum?? :)

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Read what Obie posted. That is the UKBA guidance about over 18 children.

Sunskykelilo
Newly Registered

Post by Sunskykelilo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 pm

PaperPusher wrote:Read what Obie posted. That is the UKBA guidance about over 18 children.
I did read it before posting. It did not answer my questions about appealing on the basis of family life and article 8 which is why I asked.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Have a read, it mentions adult children.

Sunskykelilo
Newly Registered

Post by Sunskykelilo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:04 am

PaperPusher wrote:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Have a read, it mentions adult children.
Thank you for that - very useful article.

It says that since I'm an adult I will need to have more than emotional dependency on my parent if I was to appeal....I have been financially dependent on my mother for 7 years now...I'm just wondering if financial dependency is sufficient to appeal successfully (?).

It does not specify what level/kind of dependence is needed for adult children in the article.

I have not actually made an application for ILR as an adult dependent relative - to be honest I believe I have no chance as I dont have any exceptional circumstances (i.e. illness/disability) so I'm just wondering about the appeals process as for many reasons I believe I have no choice (or other options) but to go through with this type of application.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:18 am

I do not see any basis for your application to succeed

Once you reached 18 your rights disappeared

Sunskykelilo
Newly Registered

Post by Sunskykelilo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:27 am

mochyn wrote:I do not see any basis for your application to succeed

Once you reached 18 your rights disappeared
I pretty much said that already....or did you mean an appeal on the basis of family life/article 8 will not succeed?