ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can someone plz explain this para frm HO website

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

volks400
Newly Registered

Can someone plz explain this para frm HO website

Post by volks400 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:01 pm

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:
have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.

a.I landed in uk on the 18 april 2007 with my spouse visa.
b.first year in uk didnt go anywhere for holidays.
c.second year went to canada for 4 weeks as my parents live there.
d.third year 25 march 2009 got my ILR and then in june 2009 went to canada again for 4 weeks for a visit.

with that para on HO website when can i apply for citizenship? i have asked this thing before but everytime i get the answer that i should be in this country for 3 years. i understand that but isnt there a grace period in 3 yrs that i can go out of the country for a holiday. also which is the best way to go NCS or individual? when i applied for ILR i went thru the same day service and filled out the forms etc myself.

thanks in advance

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 pm

For you the important rule to take account of is :-
have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application
-: and therefore you cannot apply now .... today .... simply because you were not in the UK exactly 3 years ago.

But you arrived in the UK on 18 april 2007, and therefore in just 12 days time, you will be eligible to apply. Given you did not leave the UK in the next year after you arrived, clearly you can apply any time in the year starting on 18.04.10.

In short, go for it, and get the form AN completed.
John

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm

**** EDIT: Just spotted John got there before me ... oh well! ****

When you asked last time John did say that the number of days you've been absent shouldn't be a problem providing it's within the rules (e.g. less than 270 for 3 years and 90 in the last year).

What is vitally important is that you were in the UK precisely 3 years before the date the home office receive the application. Based on that - you should be able to apply any time after 19 April 2010.

NCS is not like actually making the application. The registrar (or whoever you see) will check your form, your documents, photocopy them, certify the copies and send it all on for you. It's like a good double check, and you get to hang on to your passport and all other documents.

I found it worthwhile for my wife's application - especially as I need my passport for work.

M.

volks400
Newly Registered

Post by volks400 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks guys, clears my confusion. i ll apply after the 18 april and go thru NCS or who ever it is here in glasgow.

cheers