ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation dependents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

James123
Newly Registered

Naturalisation dependents

Post by James123 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:30 pm

I am planning to apply for naturlization on basis of 4 years wp + 1 ILR in April. My question is that Can my dependetns (Wife + children) apply with me as they haven't completed 5 years yet. Actually they are here from last 4.5 years (3.5 years as work permit dependent + 1 year ILR).

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:47 pm

James, are your children still under the age of 18? If they are, then the situation is thus :-

When you apply for naturalisation you can enter your children's details on to the application form AN(NEW). Then when you are naturalised as British your children will be registered as British.

Your wife? She will need to apply for her own naturalisation but currently she is failing to meet the five-year test. So she cannot apply for naturalisation at the same time as you. Instead she will need to wait until she also passes the five year test or, if earlier, wait until you are a British Citizen. When that happens ... surprise surprise ... your wife will be married to a British Citizen ... you .... and thus a three-year test applies .... which she appears to pass.

If any of the children are now 18 or more years of age then they cannot be registered as British at the same time as you are naturalised. Instead they will need to wait until they personally pass the five-year test and then apply for their own naturalisation.

You and your wife, and adult children (if any) .... has the Citizenship Test been passed? Minor children being registered don't need to bother about the test.
John

James123
Newly Registered

Post by James123 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks John. Its mean my children which are 6 and 8 should apply with me and my wife should apply in september after completing 5 years.

There is one interesting thing is that my wife is expecting a third baby in March :D . Should I mention third baby in my application form? I beleive the third baby will be british citizen by birth at ILR holder?

James123
Newly Registered

Post by James123 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:05 pm

regarding test , I have started to study the book. I will book the test very soon. Do you know any useful links?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 pm

There is one interesting thing is that my wife is expecting a third baby in March Very Happy . Should I mention third baby in my application form? I believe the third baby will be British citizen by birth at ILR holder?
Absolutely right! That child will be British automatically because you, and your wife, have ILR. So that means that there is no need to enter that child on to the form AN(NEW) to get registration as British ... the child will be British from the instant of birth.
my wife should apply in September after completing 5 years.
In September, yes, or as soon as you are British, if before September.

In any case she needs to have passed the Citizenship Test before she applies for her Naturalisation. Why don't you and your wife study together, indeed take the test together!

To help studying for the test, have a look at this topic.
John