ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Doubt for Accomodation in London with all bills included

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tier1_aspirant_del

Doubt for Accomodation in London with all bills included

Post by tier1_aspirant_del » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi,

I am getting a 1 BHK studio flat in London at around 575 Pounds per month near Edgware (North West London). It includes all the utility bills including council tax. The landlord is saying that he would pay all the bills himself including council tax.

Can you please tell me if it is fine or should all the bills be on my name only (for any future problem in Extension visa or ILR)?

Secondly can you please tell if it is fine as per current market rates or he is over charging me? I am totally ignorant about London right now. My budget is around 500 GBP and I want a private place for my family but not getting much options in it.

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Sorry, what is a BHK?

I previously lived in Golders Green (3 years ago), which is close to Edgeware (closer to Central London, therefore slightly more expensive) and I believe the 1-bed studio at the front of our property was rented out for £600 pcm, excluding bills. Based on that, I can't imagine that you are being over charged at £575 inclusive.

However, I would agree that you really do need to make sure that your name is on the household bills for the reasons you identify (you'll need them for future visa applications). Your landlord should be able to do this simply by contacting the Council / energy supplier and asking them to add your name to the bills. This won't cost anything and he can still pay them all. If the landlord were unscrupulous, he might not want to add your name to the council tax bill if he were still intending to claim the Single Resident council tax discount.... :roll:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:26 pm

This won't cost anything and he can still pay them all.

Just remember that if he defaults on payment, you would be liable if the bills are on joint names :roll:

tier1_aspirant_del

Post by tier1_aspirant_del » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. 1 BHK means 1 bedroom studio flat. I will take care for your suggestions regarding utility bills.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Another reason for the landlord paying the bills is it could have been illegally subdivided or be a council property that is being illegally sublet.

Are you sure you are happy living in one room, with your bed, Spam and seating all in the same room. Depressing if you ask me. Why not bite the bullet and share for a bit, save some money and if your housemates are nice make new friends too. Plus you will still have one room to hide away in.

tier1_aspirant_del

Post by tier1_aspirant_del » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm

As per my knowledge it is a 1 bedroom flat which also contains a living room. I definitely don't want to live like this there. Also I wont the property on rent if the landlord does not agree for me paying all the utility bills.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:09 pm

Studios are not one bedroom flats, they have no bedroom as such, the bed and seating are all in one room, sometimes with the Spam in the same space too.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#358617

If you are not in the UK yet, I would wait until you arrive to sort out a flat. Perhaps you should sort out temporary accomodation such as a backpacking hostel or YMCA if you do not have friends or family to stay with. Some hostels have double and family rooms.

Also, "hall" means something different in the UK. A hall is the corridor linking rooms and not a room in itself, unless you live in a castle!

Just to warn you, the flat could smell of damp, dead things and be above the rubbish bin area. All things you need to check in person.

How did you find out about the flat, and do you know about the law surrounding renting?

Finally, people overseas or in another part of the UK have been targeted in accommodation scams.

tier1_aspirant_del

Post by tier1_aspirant_del » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:05 am

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. It seems that u r right. Studio flat in UK means only one room. I got the reference from gumtree and as I am getting various offers for my ad I feel that there is spam going on and ppl want to cheat.

I have decided to stay with one of my relative for some time after I reach there and then will look out for an accomodation. Thanks to all for guiding me in this regard.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:25 am

tier1_aspirant_del wrote:Hi, thanks for your suggestions. It seems that u r right. Studio flat in UK means only one room. I got the reference from gumtree and as I am getting various offers for my ad I feel that there is spam going on and ppl want to cheat.

I have decided to stay with one of my relative for some time after I reach there and then will look out for an accomodation. Thanks to all for guiding me in this regard.
I'm glad you changed your mind. Gum tree ads are free to post up so it's a breeding ground of scam artists! I've seen many people hand over a lot of money towards a place that didn't exist and never heard back from the "landlord" ever again.
I tell it like it is.

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm

It never even occured to me that OP was not yet in the UK. I've even heard of occasions when people have been shown around a flat they found on Craigslist, and paid a deposit + 1 month rent only to find out that even then, the person showing them around was not the landlord but a scam artist.

tier1_aspirant_del, FYI it takes 38 minutes to get from Edgeware to Kings Cross on the Northern Line, which is about the same time it takes to get from Dartford to London Bridge. Dartford will most likely be cheaper for you to rent, and on top of that, if the Northern Line is down for any reason you will be stuck, whereas several rail lines run through Dartford. You might like to consider that when you are looking for where to base yourself!

tier1_aspirant_del

Post by tier1_aspirant_del » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi stmellon,

Thanks for the suggestion. It is very valuable to get these informations without being in London. I really appreciate it and thanks to this forum for it.

Regards