ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General Refused - Funds Maintenance in FDs (Urgent)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ram80
United Kingdom

Tier 1 General Refused - Funds Maintenance in FDs (Urgent)

Post by ram80 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi there,

I applied for Tier 1 General EC, and was awarded claimed points in all areas except Funds Maintenance. The application made on 15th March was rejected on 30th March.

I maintained my funds in Fixed Deposits in a commercial bank continuously for the past one year (and still do) and the fixed deposits amount to something around GBP 10600.

I would like to know your opinions on an Admin Review I am planning to seek. The following is the text of the bank letter I submitted for proof of holding funds:

ON BANK'S LETTERHEAD (dated 6th March 2010)
---------------------------
This is to confirm that we have received the following funds to the credit of Mr XYZ and the same is held by him as Foreign Currency Non Resident (FCNR) deposits with our bank. The details are as under

Received on 07.Mar.2009
Amount Received: GBP 10600
Deposit Receipt Number: ABC/12345

We certify the above funds are held by the above deposit holder with our bank as on date.

SIGNED AND SEALED
The Entry Clearance Officer has mentioned the following reasons for denying the EC:
"Letter from XYZ Bank confirming deposit held with the Bank. Total value of the deposit is GBP 10600. Unable to consider this deposit because the letter does not confirm that they can be encashed at any time. Unable to consider this as savings account because there is no bank statement and also the letter does not confirm the minimum balance held during the 3 month period. It only gives the amount received on a specific date. Therefore points not awarded. I therefore refuse your application under paragraph 245C(e) of the Immigration Rules."

What I am planning to reply is as follows:
"The letter from XYZ bank expressly confirms the receipt and deposit of a fixed sum of GBP 10600 on 07.Mar.2009 to the credit of my account as FCNR deposit, along with its deposit number. Further the last paragraph of the letter expressly certifies the existence of the above deposit on 06-Mar-2010.

The fixed deposit received by the bank to my credit on a specific date and held till the date of the letter is a sufficient and appropriate evidence for it's continued existence intact during the intervening period.

By claiming that the bank letter "only gives the amount received on specific dates", the ECO seems to have overlooked the last paragraph, and thereby incorrectly construed that the letter does not confirm the minimum balance held during the last 3 months.

It is apparent from the bank's confirmation that I have been maintaining nearly four times of the required minimum balance intact continuously for nearly four times the period required to be maintained.

It is common knowledge that deposits held by commercial banks to the credit of depositor’s account, and duly certified by the bank as such, are readily encashable at the request of the depositor at any time, and does not merit a separate confirmation. Where banks certify without reservations or qualifications, that funds are standing to the credit of a deposit holder, it is implied that the same are available for withdrawal on demand. Further the Immigration Rules and Guidelines published for Tier 1 (General) Scheme are silent as to the requirement of obtaining confirmation from banks about the encashability of bank deposits.

It appears that the above facts apparent from the bank’s letter were overlooked by the ECO while making her decision. I therefore would like to request that the above mistakes made by the ECO should be duly corrected and I be issued the Entry Clearance.
Kindly advise if my contention above is proper and please give your opinion about whether I stand a chance to get the decision reversed in the Admin Review.
Last edited by ram80 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:11 pm

There are different kinds of deposits, some can be cashed any time and some have a lock in period. That is the reason why they ask for a letter from the bank confirming that the deposit can be cashed anytime.

I don't think the ECO has made a mistake. (only my view)

ram80
United Kingdom

Post by ram80 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Aruni, thanks for your thoughts.

1. I am not aware of any kind of locked in bank deposit, atleast in India. Do you know of any such deposit anywhere? All deposits maintained in commercial banks and standing to the credit of the deposit holder are withdrawable at the request/demand of the deposit holder on any banking day. This is common to all banks all over the world. Most banks only will not pay you interest for the unexpired period, however they are prevented by law in most places from refusing encashment.

2. Neither the Tier 1 Guidelines nor the Immigration Rules (or any of the official documentation by the UKBA) indicate that bank deposits should be confirmed by the bank as withdrawable on demand.

So how can the ECO not have made a mistake or unreasonable inference?

What do you think about the 3 months confirmation issue above?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

ram80 wrote:Aruni, thanks for your thoughts.

1. I am not aware of any kind of locked in bank deposit, atleast in India. Do you know of any such deposit anywhere? All deposits maintained in commercial banks and standing to the credit of the deposit holder are withdrawable at the request/demand of the deposit holder on any banking day. This is common to all banks all over the world. Most banks only will not pay you interest for the unexpired period, however they are prevented by law in most places from refusing encashment.

There are certain kinds of fixed deposits in india where you get tax rebate under section 80c of income tax act and they are locked for certain period.

Salient features of tax saver fixed deposits

The fixed deposits can be purchase for a minimum amount of Rs. 100, and then in multiples of Rs. 100. The maximum amount eligible under a tax saver fixed deposit is Rs. 100,000 for a financial year. You would be able to claim a maximum of Rs. One lac as a tax deduction.This fixed deposit is locked for a 5 year period and money can't be withdrawn nor can it be pledged for any reason during this tenure.

http://www.rupeetimes.com/article/fixed ... _1007.html

http://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/accoun ... eposit.htm

http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Banki ... index.html

2. Neither the Tier 1 Guidelines nor the Immigration Rules (or any of the official documentation by the UKBA) indicate that bank deposits should be confirmed by the bank as withdrawable on demand.

As far as I understand from the guidance, it clearly states that the maintenance should be of cash fund in the account. So, I think they made it pretty clear.
199. The evidence of maintenance must be of cash funds in the bank (this includes savings accounts and current accounts even when notice must be given), loan or official financial or government sponsorship available to the applicant. Other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, pension funds etc, regardless of notice period, are not acceptable.

So how can the ECO not have made a mistake or unreasonable inference?

What do you think about the 3 months confirmation issue above?

In the guidance, it is clearly mentioned that the letter from the bank should confirm that the fund has been held for min 3 months. Do not expect case workers to do the math on your behalf (however simple it might be).

• that the funds of £2,800 or £800 have been in the bank for at least three consecutive months on and immediately before the date of the letter. The letter must be dated no more than one calendar month before the date of application.

ram80
United Kingdom

Post by ram80 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks Aruni, you are a star. Your replies help me see if I stand a chance in the AR.

Regarding the 3 months confirmation, really if my bank confirms that I hold a fixed deposit from March 2009 till now, and they cant understand that it is held for more than 3 months, it is not just a problem of mathematics, but more of commonsense, yes?

------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Tier 1 General Guidance point #199:

"The evidence of maintenance must be of cash funds in the bank (this includes savings accounts and current accounts even when notice must be given), loan or official financial or government sponsorship available to the applicant. Other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, pension funds etc, regardless of notice period, are not acceptable."

The ECO has rightly treated this deposit as cash funds, but has asked for bank's confirmation about ready encashability. However the Guidance notes and the Immigration rules are silent about obtaining bank confirmation about ready encashability. Hence the ECO here has insisted on a requirement that was not communicated by the UKBA in any official pronouncement.

Thanks again for your replies.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 pm

ram80 wrote:Thanks Aruni, you are a star. Your replies help me see if I stand a chance in the AR.

Regarding the 3 months confirmation, really if my bank confirms that I hold a fixed deposit from March 2009 till now, and they cant understand that it is held for more than 3 months, it is not just a problem of mathematics, but more of commonsense, yes? Agreed, commonsense is not so common nowadays

------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Tier 1 General Guidance point #199:

"The evidence of maintenance must be of cash funds in the bank (this includes savings accounts and current accounts even when notice must be given), loan or official financial or government sponsorship available to the applicant. Other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, pension funds etc, regardless of notice period, are not acceptable."

The ECO has rightly treated this deposit as cash funds, but has asked for bank's confirmation about ready encashability. However the Guidance notes and the Immigration rules are silent about obtaining bank confirmation about ready encashability. Hence the ECO here has insisted on a requirement that was not communicated by the UKBA in any official pronouncement.

Thanks again for your replies.
Anyways, all the best!!

ram80
United Kingdom

Post by ram80 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks, anyone else has any suggestions?

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

ram80 wrote:Thanks, anyone else has any suggestions?

Infact, aruni has provided you the complete guidence. :)
I guess, there is not enough left to be adviced /suggested now. 8)
Good luck!!
Njoin with my new iPAD ....it's really magical....

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Get your bank to issue a fresh letter which includes but is not limited to the following:

1. Funds deposited on dd/mm/yy for an amount of xyz and have have not been withdrawn till date of issue of this letter.
2. Funds have not gone below xyz value at any time during the preceding 90 days of this letter.
3. The funds are liquid and can be withdrawn at any time by the account holder.

Submit this letter along with your review form.
Regards,
crowbar6

s4salil

Post by s4salil » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:57 pm

crowbar6 wrote:
Get your bank to issue a fresh letter which includes but is not limited to the following:

1. Funds deposited on dd/mm/yy for an amount of xyz and have have not been withdrawn till date of issue of this letter.
2. Funds have not gone below xyz value at any time during the preceding 90 days of this letter.
3. The funds are liquid and can be withdrawn at any time by the account holder.

Submit this letter along with your review form.
I have a joint account with my father, will that be any problem ??? i read on a few other forums that they accept a joint account only with your partner and not parents ... is it true ???? what else can i do other than waiting for 3 more months ? PLEASE HELP
-salil

ram80
United Kingdom

Post by ram80 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:28 am

Update: I finally got my Entry Clearance a few weeks back after taking legal help from a law-firm based in the UK.

Even though my EC has been delayed by a year now, I'm very happy to have got it finally :-)