ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

irish visa for non eu spouse

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

olajesu
Newly Registered

irish visa for non eu spouse

Post by olajesu » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:15 am

hello everyone ,i really appreciate your efforts at helping people solve thier problems,i must confess this is a wonderful and effective site.

i am a nigerian married to a british lady ,we met in the uk while i was there on a visit last yaer,we got married in nigeria september 2005,we moved to belgium because of the difficulties of getting a settlement visa in nigeria,we are both legally resident in belgium and january 2006 she gave birth to our son in belgium,the problem is that we are finding it very difficult to get jobs in belgium as it is a prerequisite to speak and understand flemeish before you can get any job in belgium.we decided it would be better to go to ireland and we applied for a visa in december 2005 and up til now they have not made a decision,my wife got a job offer in limerick ireland and notified the dept of justice in ireland but they said she has to come to ireland first and i would be able to join her in 6 months when they make a decision ,i think this is a violation of eu regulations ,please can you advise us;thanks

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 pm

well, i take it as your british wife has a british passport. if she is eu national, and you married to her, you will have automatic right to live and work in any eu countries as long as she is in that country with you. i dont understand why you applying a visa? but one thing they re right is about your wife. she has to show herself up in ireland!!!! but i dont think you need to wait for 6 months becuase you married to a eu national.

the following link is from one of the irish government website. go read about it yourself:

http://oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/movi ... nal+spouse

it doesnt say you need to wait 6 months. does it?

good luck.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:44 pm

How long have the two of you been in Belgium exercising EU treaty rights? When that is at least six months it will be possible for you to apply for a UK-issued EEA Family Permit and then the two of you can move to the UK, which is surely the most satisfactory outcome?
i would be able to join her in 6 months when they make a decision ,i think this is a violation of eu regulations
Regretfully I don't think so. Under those EU regulations a Government can take up to six months to decide upon an application.
John

olajesu
Newly Registered

Post by olajesu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:50 am

thanks for your reply,i dont think it is right that governments can take 6 months to decide because the law states that the non eu spouse can accompany the eu citizen if the citizen is going to take up employment or look for one;i need a visa to ireland as i am a visa national,but the eu law in www.europa.eu states the visa should isued free of charge and without delay,the uk has a system called the eea family permit and all shengen countries in thier application forms fro visa make provisions for eu families but ireland has none and they tret all applicants the same way,my wife contacted the eu headquaters and they said the visa should be issued without delay.