ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civil judgement - does this count?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lalamon
Newly Registered

Civil judgement - does this count?

Post by lalamon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Found this forum to be really useful so hopefully someone would be able to help me!

I am applying for ILR under 5 year WP.

In Nov 2009, I received a summons for non payment of council tax. I paid the amount in full before the court hearing date and therefore confirmed with the council that I did not need to attend the hearing. The summons was issued by a magistrate's court.

Does this need to be declared under Section 7?

*nervous because application is on 13th April next week!*

Thank you in advance :)

sky_blue
BANNED

Re: Civil judgement - does this count?

Post by sky_blue » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:38 pm

lalamon wrote:Found this forum to be really useful so hopefully someone would be able to help me!

I am applying for ILR under 5 year WP.

In Nov 2009, I received a summons for non payment of council tax. I paid the amount in full before the court hearing date and therefore confirmed with the council that I did not need to attend the hearing. The summons was issued by a magistrate's court.

Does this need to be declared under Section 7?

*nervous because application is on 13th April next week!*

Thank you in advance :)
As this has been settled so no point not mentioning in form.
Never ignore this while filling form as this can have serious consequences.
You can not be refused if you mentioned this as this has been settled.

lalamon
Newly Registered

Post by lalamon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks sky_blue. Trouble is I never bothered to get some form of confirmation of payment but hopefully it won't be too much hassle on application.

notsunny
Newly Registered

Post by notsunny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:12 am

lalamon wrote:Thanks sky_blue. Trouble is I never bothered to get some form of confirmation of payment but hopefully it won't be too much hassle on application.
what you probably have is a liability order which is neither civil judgement nor a Criminal conviction.
It will not be recorded in your credit file and it not effect your credit score.

what council does is submit a list of people with arrears to the magistrates Court and get liability orders.

so as long as you have settled everything it will be fine though it might be worth confirming this with Seniors or Gurus.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:12 am

Actually, it may well affect your Credit rating. If you want to know if it's recorded, check with one of the credit reference agencies...Experian for example.

notsunny
Newly Registered

Post by notsunny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:27 am

Casa wrote:Actually, it may well affect your Credit rating. If you want to know if it's recorded, check with one of the credit reference agencies...Experian for example.

I have had coucil tax court summon myself few years ago and its not registered in my credit file. I also asked about this from the council and they confirmed it was not recorded in credit file.

summon is from magistrates court so its not recorded as a civil judgement or in credit file.

notsunny
Newly Registered

Post by notsunny » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 am

Casa wrote:Actually, it may well affect your Credit rating. If you want to know if it's recorded, check with one of the credit reference agencies...Experian for example.
just for information take a look at this link

http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/counciltax.htm

sky_blue
BANNED

Post by sky_blue » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 pm

notsunny wrote:
just for information take a look at this link

http://www.bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/counciltax.htm
@Notsunny you are a star.
Remember what this has on credit score is a different issue but if you hide this and home office noticed that you would be in big trouble.

With little chance on appeal as well.

For immigration must write in your application form.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Quote: As this has been settled so no point not mentioning in form.
Never ignore this while filling form as this can have serious consequences
A strange contradiction from Sky_blue. :roll:

lalamon
Newly Registered

Post by lalamon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi all

Thanks for your advice. In the end I declared it on my application, but it didn't raise any eyebrows with the caseworker at all. So application success! :)

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Congratulations firstly.

What documents did you show?
Did you go to a PEO?

Can we some further detail to your case?

Thank you and Enjoy!

lalamon
Newly Registered

Post by lalamon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Applied at Croydon PEO. Didn't need to show any extra documents although I brought a bank statement and the summons.