ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non compliance of Article 3 of Directive for Family Members

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:42 am

Yes sorry what I mean is that.....ok SOLVIT I found never really help....if the request already has been refused....as now you can appeal so technically that is a legal proceeding!

Contact EU commission I can't praise them enough for their help....my husband now has a 5 year family members residence card (which he should have received years ago, we have been married 4 years)....by the way he is Moroccan and his name is Rachid snap!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

ciaramc wrote:Yes sorry what I mean is that.....ok SOLVIT I found never really help....if the request already has been refused....as now you can appeal so technically that is a legal proceeding!

Contact EU commission I can't praise them enough for their help....my husband now has a 5 year family members residence card (which he should have received years ago, we have been married 4 years)....by the way he is Moroccan and his name is Rachid snap!
Deirdre on Corrie married Moroccan Toyboy Samir Rachid a while back and there was no problem with a visa for Weatherfield!

I remember too the scriptwriters originally called him 'Shamir' but apparently that turned out to be Arabic for 'shît' or something so it mysteriously changed...

Poor Samir, he was nice lad, donated a kidney to Deirdre's daughter Tracy, now in jail for murdering Charlie Stubbs, and Samir himself was killed at Castlefield Arches by some nasty lads. That was before they did it all up tho.

http://www.corrie.net/profiles/characte ... samir.html
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 am

Hehe hilarious I remember that story line....good oul Corrie how I miss it! Some of my friends call my hubby Samir Rachid...(as a joke) he just don't get it ....but cracks me up everytime!

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:25 am

Hey Tracy, I was just wondering if you had any updates for us? Hope the holidays treated you guys well!

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:43 pm

No real update to share unfortunately...

Today, I emailed a complaint about Spain and Gibraltar to the EU Commission which I will put below as it summarizes the past year for us and gives status of where we are.

We still have not married, neither of us actually want to marry in Morocco and we are so flat broke, it would be an expense we can't afford.

This coming week I will follow up with the Ombudsmans and the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan but I now have to focus on regaining some stability and normalcy for my son as it is not good for him that we keep hopping from place to place.

email to EU Commission 2/1/10

Complaint re non-compliance of EU Directive 2004/38 by Spanish and Gibraltarian Authorities

This is my statement to the fact that neither the Spanish, nor the Gibraltararian (to a lesser degree) National Authorities have respected our rights derived from EU Directive 2004/38, nor even acknowledged its existence or applicability to myself and my partner. My complaint is that despite specifically pointing out relevant legal documentation and guidelines outlining correct procedures, these have not been applied and I have been and continue to be severely hindered in my efforts to exercise my Treaty rights given to me under this Directive.

My name is Tracy **** and I am a British Citizen living in Spain since July 2006. I worked a family owned Café Bar in Sabinillas until December 2008. I met my partner in Spain in early 2008 and we have lived together since April 2008. I believe that my partner derives rights from his relationship to me as my Family Member as defined under Article 3 of EU Directive 2004/38.

My partner is Rachid ****, a Moroccan Citizen who was living in Spain without documentation for many years. He has a criminal conviction in Spain from 2003 for being involved in a bar fight in Alicante and served a 3 year sentence for this in Barcelona until 2006 although nobody was seriously injured and no weapons or drugs were involved. Separately, we plan to investigate why he was given such a heavy sentence and the validity of the conviction, but this is in itself not relevant to our case other than that it exists. In June 2006, he was issued with an Expulsion Order from Alicante for failing to have correct documentation to be in Spain, the Order had a period of expulsion of 5 years. In 2007, in Spain, he was charged and convicted for involvement in another fight where somebody was seriously injured. After serving 5 months in jail, this conviction was reversed as the injured party admitted that my partner in fact had no involvement at all. He was released from prison into Spain, despite the existing Expulsion Order with an apology and was told that he was owed 5 months. My partner then lived in Malaga province without any further problems until we met in early 2008.

In November 2008, my partner and I rented an apartment in our joint names in Sabinillas, Malaga and started to make arrangements to marry including acquiring relevant documents from Morocco for my partner.

In January 2009, my partner was deported from Spain from the Comisaria of National Police in Estepona despite us informing the National Police that we lived together and planned to marry.

From January 2009, my partner and I lived in Morocco with myself making frequent trips to Spain to shop and take care of my affairs as best I could. I did not take on Residency in Morocco as I felt it would be disadvantageous to me. We planned to marry in Gibraltar as I prefer not to be married in Morocco under Islam Law. We fell behind on our rent on our apartment in Spain and ran out of money very quickly due to the lack of employment opportunities for either of us in Morocco.

In April 2009, my partner and I entered Ceuta from Morocco to shop. On our return, my partner was taken inside the Police area and his passport stamped with a refusal to enter Spain. Nobody spoke with me and they did not pay any attention to whatever my partner told them.

In September 2009, I wanted to leave Morocco and put my 5 year old son into a European school. I sent an inquiry to the Citizen's Signpost Service. I was told that my partner would not be able to enter Spain even if we married until after the Expulsion Order expired. Based on this information, my partner and I decided that perhaps we would look to moving to the UK. I did not realise until later that this information was incorrect and misleading.

In September 2009, my son and I returned to the UK and began to make arrangements to marry in Gibraltar on October 20th. Still believing that my partner would be unable to enter Spain, I booked flights from Tangiers to London for October 28th.

During the 4 weeks that I was in the UK, I began to learn of EU Directive 2004/38 and our rights derived from it. I realised that I had been misinformed by Citizen's Signpost and with the advice from a forum that I posted to, also realised that it would be very difficult for my partner to enter the UK, even after we married given it was my home country and I was not working at the time and hadn't been working for some time. Since our preference was to return to Spain and it now appeared that we would have the right to return there, my son and I returned to Morocco to prepare for my marriage to my partner.

On October 16th, 2009, the Visa for my partner to enter Gibraltar enabling us to marry there on October 20th was refused with no reason given. We had submitted an accurate and complete application for a General Visitor's Visa via the UK Embassy in Rabat and paid the fee for such. We had submitted all requested documentation and evidence including confirmation of our appointment to marry on October 20th for which all our paperwork was in order. A subsequent phone call by myself to the Gibraltar Registration Office resulted in my making a formal complaint to the Gibraltar Registration Office which I also sent to Worldbridge regarding comments made to me about my partner's Nationality and requesting a review of the process used to refuse his Visa application.

Between October 16th and October 20th, I educated myself further on our rights derived from EU Directive 2004/38 and realised that as my cohabitating partner, my partner should currently have the right to enter any EU Member State with me under Article 3 of the Directive. I researched information on the Directive and associated Case Laws on the internet and continue to do so.

On October 20th, we went to the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan, Morocco. I spoke to 2 different people at the window and informed them that we were partners, that my partner had an expulsion from Spain and that we wished to return there to live and to marry. We were informed that we must travel to Alicante to revoke the Expulsion Order and that the Consulate could do nothing to help us. I reiterated that my partner should be considered my Family Member under the Directive and asked they they help facilitate his entry. Again, we were told that the Consulate was unable to help.

On October 21st, we travelled to the Spanish border of Ceuta. I approached a Border Guard with my partner and my son and stated that I was a UK Citizen with Spanish Residency and I wished that my partner was given entry with me as my Family Member under the Directive. Despite having printouts in Spanish of the Directive, the Spanish Real Decreto incorporating this and the Schengen Border Guards' Handbook, my partner was not given entry to Spain and the Border Guards refused to process him as my Family Member without a Marriage Certificate. They were not interested in the evidence of our durable relationship, and we were not treated respectfully. I was ordered out of their office although I remained calm and I was told to get a lawyer. My partner was not even allowed in with me and they did not speak with him whatsoever. They finally stamped his passport with a refusal and at my request, gave him a refusal document. This was not processed under the directive at all.

On November 11th, 2009, I made a formal complaint about the Gibraltar Registration Office with the Gibraltar Ombudsman. After several emails and continued lack of response from the Registration Office, the Obmudsman agreed to investigate the Gibraltar CS&RO on December 7th, 2009 with Case Number 865 (G3428). I am awaiting further correspondence from his office.

On November 13th, 2009, we returned to the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan and insisted that they accept an application for a Schengen Visa for my partner requesting that it be processed under EU Directive 2004/38 for a Non EU/EEA Family Member of an EU Citizen. We submitted my testimony to our relationship, family photographs, our apartment rental lease from November 2008 and a few other bits of documentation. We have made 2 subsequent visits, several follow up phone calls and further faxed correspondence on November 22nd pointing them to legal EU documentation relevant to our situation all to no avail. We have never received anything in writing from them and have been told only that we must get a lawyer to revoke the Expulsion Order on my partner. It appears that they are not processing the Visa application at all.

On November 29th, 2009, I made a complaint about the Spanish Consulate and our circumstances to the Spanish Ombudsman. I have received a letter confirming our Numero de Expediente of 09021140. A follow up phone call on December 18th resulted in being informed that I must wait to hear from the Ombudsman.

Also on November 29th, I submitted our case to SOLVIT requesting their help. On December 16th, I received a reply from them that didn't really apply to our case stating that it was possible to refuse my partner a Visa under the Directive but since his Expulsion Order predated our Visa application, it would be valid (I believe this is utterly incorrect!), and that SOLVIT cannot intervene where legal proceedings are ongoing (there are none...). I have responded to them reiterating my request for help in enforcing our rights and clarified that the issue is not the the Visa has been refused, but that the Spanish Consulate are not applying the Law of the Directive correctly and therefore violating our rights. I have very little confidence that SOLVIT will be able to help at all now after having received this response from them and they have not since responded to my reply of 17th December.

For the past 3 months, my son and I have travelled back and forth between Spain where we are now staying with my father in Malaga, and Morocco where my partner is stuck. We have now gathered all documentation required for us to marry in Morocco and have sold almost the last of my personal items to gather just enough money for me to return to Morocco where I am currently, pay the hefty Consulate and several document translation fees and be able to marry in Morocco. Although we would plan to proceed directly to the Spanish Border at Ceuta again and try to gain entry for my then husband, I have lost all confidence that the Authorities will follow correct procedure and we will be thwarted once again leaving us not only with the same problem of being separated, but also completely broke as we will have spent the last of the money we have managed to scrape together. Because of this, we have decided to wait for the Authorities to do the right thing, rather than be completely destitute and I will return to Malaga without my partner once again so that my son can return to his school and I can look for work.

Throughout the last 11 to 12 months, the disruption to our lives has been devastating both financially and emotionally and we and the people around us have all been negatively affected. I have lost my Bar business in Spain due to my absence and have not been able to work for nearly a year. I have debts that have amounted in Spain due to my unemployment and absence. I have gradually sold my personal belongings in order to survive and have suffered great poverty where some days we have not had money even for food. My family is now separated awaiting compliance of the Law by Spanish authorities and although we have now sold more belongings to scrape together the money to marry in Morocco this coming week, it will leave us penniless again and I am now not confident that the Spanish Authorities will finally allow my partner to enter Spain as is his right. We have no home or work to go to and my emotional state makes it very difficult to focus on anything other that getting my family together again at this time.

Separately, I will be looking to claim compensation from Spain for the financial and emotional distress I have suffered as a result of Spain's violation of our rights but this is a long way off and I suspect will be a difficult battle.

Irrespective of what happens with the complaints to the Ombudsmans, I would like to lodge a complaint with the EU Commission and hope that any investigation carried out as a result will either help ourselves in the event that we are still in need, or if not, others as nobody should have to go through the months of frustration that we have endured because National Authorities cannot apply EU law correctly after more than 5 years of it being in existence.

From our own experiences, and reading about the troubles of other people in similar situations, it seems to me that there should be some kind of Emergency Hotline provided at the European level for when EU Citizens and their Family Members encounter such problems at any Member State Border. It is a very scary and lonely experience, and we are utterly at the mercy of the whim of the Border Guards encountered there. Proceedings against Member States in these cases take time and lives are being disrupted in the meantime. Several, if not most victims have no idea how to move forward and I dare say many people just give up, or follow the incorrect advice that they are being given.

When my partner and I go to the Ceuta Border, if we are told that he cannot enter and the Directive is invalid or not applicable – what are we supposed to do? I consider myself an intelligent person with a strong personality, but I have been exhausted by the events of this past year. I am afraid of what will happen next week as I feel it is our last chance, but short of planting myself in the Border Guard's office until they either let my partner enter or arrest me, what are we to do?

Below is my contact information and I give my permission for my identity to be known in any investigation. I have attached all written correspondence that I refer to. Emails have been copied and pasted into documents that I can attach and I have reorganised them to read from top to bottom.
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Your experience has made me speechless, you are indeed an intelligent person with a strong personality and all my feelings are with you. I wish there was anything I could do to help. All the best and keep us posted.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Well I wish you all of the best! It's a new year and you've put a lot of work in, so don't give up yet!

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Thought I would pop in and post an update. Nothing good, I am afraid but slowly getting closer, I suppose.

I am currently in Spain with my son in school and my partner is in Morocco, we talk every day via Skype but I think I have reached the end of my strength and will return to Morocco with my son later this week.

My partner returned to the Consulate 2 weeks ago and was asked upstairs to meet with the Entry Clearance Officer. It is such a shame that I was not there as I would have put her straight, but not sure it would have mattered. She was very nice, apparently, and it does appear that they have now dropped all mention of us having to revoke the Expulsion Order. What she did tell him, however was essentially that they couldn't process his Visa Application until we are married.

I subsequently received a letter from the Spanish Ombudsman, after waiting over 2 months that said also that since we did not have a registered relationship, the law did not apply. I called the office and was told in no uncertain terms that I could not speak to anybody and must put in my response in writing.

I have sent a couple of follow up emails to the office of the Gibraltar Ombudsman, but nothing back from them as yet either. I can only hope that they at least can read the law correctly.

Once again, devastated at this situation we are in, I have taken a few days to think things over. Today, I have put in another internet inquiry to the Spanish Ombudsman informing them that they have not understood their own Law correctly, and I will also fax this to the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan.

Later this week, I think my son and I will go to Morocco and try to see what more belongings we can sell to scrape together the money to get married. However, an added compliction now is that I now need to soon return to the UK to help with a family business there and so no doubt that will be a new can of worms that will be opened. I refuse to be separated from my partner any longer and I have absoutely zero faith in any National Authority actually doing the right thing any more. I have heard nothing either from the EU Commission regarding the complaint that I put in there.

Below is my response sent to the Spanish Ombudsman this morning.

Dear Ombudsman and Entry Clearance Officer,

I am very disappointed that after 2 months of waiting for help from your office, I received a response that clearly shows that you do not, or choose not to understand European Law even though I the Citizen provided you with the exact documentation relating to our case. In addition, to be told that I cannot speak with your office by telephone and to have to wait for a letter by post after submitting my request via the internet, I find incredible in this day and age. I am desperate for help and it has not been provided to me.

As a result, my partner and I are still unable to continue with our lives as we wish and we have suffered even more financial and emotional stress. The Ombudsman has a duty to help and I am devastated by the lack of help that I have received and the length of time that it has taken to get it wrong.

The EU Directive 2004/38 under Article 3.2 dictates that EU Member States MUST facilitate entry and residence for their Family Members, including the partner of the EU Citizen if they attest that they have a durable relationship. EU Directive 2004/38 does NOT insist on the relationship to be Registered (that is Marriage between opposite sex partners, or a State registered partnership between same sex partners if applicable): those type of Family relationships are covered under Article 2 of the Directive and in all my correspondence with your office and the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan, I have made this VERY clear. Unmarried, unregistered partners are covered by Article 3 of the Directive. Family Members who are covered by Article 3 of the Directive have the SAME rights of entry and residence as those under Article 2. The only difference is that Member States MAY request evidence that the relationship exists and is durable according to conditions laid out in their National Laws if they are laid out. We have done this.

Applications for entry or residence made under EU Directive 2004/38 MUST be processed in rapid time (certainly no more than one month!) and any refusal MUST be issued in writing and open to appeal. The Consulate in Tetouan has not issued anything in writing and we have now been communicating with them for more than 3 months.

EU Directive 2004/38 has been transposed into Spanish Law by Real Decreto 240-2007. Within your own National Law incorporating the Directive, Article 3 was, I believe, first omitted on the first release on 16th February 2007. However, a few days later, there was an amendment and it is clearly written in black and white on the release of 28th February 2007. Irrespective of what may or not be incorporated into Spanish National Law, the EU Directive must be adhered to by all Member States and this has been so since 2004, 6 years ago.

For your information, I have recently submitted a formal complaint to the EU Commission regarding the continued violation or our rights under EU Law. I have included a copy of this complaint in my submission to the Ombudsman but have not translated it to Spanish.

I ask that you correspond with me by email as I am now going to have to go and stay in Morocco with my partner until we have resolution on this as I am now financially unable to provide for either myself and my son. My partner and I would like to get married but we are not in a financial position to do so and do not have to in order to enter Europe. My partner can be called on his mobile in Morocco at any time.

Please, I beg you, take another look at this case and communicate the true terms of the Law to the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan in rapid time so that we may continue with our lives.

Regards,

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 pm

I have been following your exploits with interest and kept searching for an update every day but you had not posted for a long time.
I wish you good luck in your endeavours and hope that you have a solution to your problem soon

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:38 am

Well, time for a big update! The fat lady isn't quite singing yet, but she is getting her voice warmed up! :)

The Gibraltar Ombudsman was a bust, incredibly stating that since my 'Host' Member State appeared to be Spain, the Directive didn't apply upon our application to enter Gibraltar! I have posted my response to this below, but their office quickly replied that they remain unchanged in this opinion and have advised me to seek separate legal advice.

My son and I came to Morocco and are preparing now to return to the UK. My family's business there needs some administration quite urgently and since I have been unable to locate work in Spain in the past 3 months, and my partner is still being denied entry, it seems the most sensible path for us to take at the moment.

We submitted an application for an EEA Family Permit to the UK Embassy in Rabat for Rachid and we went there this past Monday, Feb 1st. I provided a cover statement, proof of residency in Spain and my old tax return, evidence of our relationship and a copy of the complaint that I had sent to the EU Commission. He went in alone and came out feeling that it had gone well. They remembered him and were pleased that he wasn't there for a Gibraltar visa again as they have no control over those. They took his biometrics finger scans and a digital photo and was told to return for his visa this coming Monday at 2pm. We ARE holding our breath.... lol

On Tuesday, 2nd February, which happened to be my birthday, I received an email from the EU commission informing me that they will investigate our case and have assigned it a number. This was a nice gift on my birthday as I had started to wonder if I am just a bit crazy from all of this.

I will add some bits and pieces tomorrow, and obviously on Monday after Rachid has returned to the UK Embassy. My responses to both the Gibraltarian and Spanish Ombudsmen were probably a little condescending but at this point, I am so tired of being overly polite.

My next question for anyone who knows, is how I begin a case for compensation from Spain without having to pay up front fees to a lawyer. Do we need a lawyer to do it, or are there services that could help with this? My problems here are that my spanish isn't really strong enough to have a legal argument with anyone and it seems that so few people actually understand the nitty gritty of how our rights have been violated with so much misinterpretation of the Directive. I had actually thought that the Ombudsman would be a good start, but given their responses, maybe not....

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:09 pm

I called Rachid at about 1pm to make sure he was in Rabat and he told me that he was on his way back, empty handed. Apparently, not sure if he got to the Embassy and then got the call or whether he got the call on route, but he got a call from the lady there to tell him that they haven't finished processing the paperwork yet. She apologized for him making a wasted trip and said that they will call him when it's ready.

So, nothing good, but nothing bad either and we will just have to wait again. In the meantime, I need to make plans to travel back to the UK with my son this week to get started on my new job there and it looks like we will be doing this again without Rachid at this point.

Am a bit bummed.... :(

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Happy belated birthday !!! And good luck with the new job 8)

No need to feel bummed , silly !! . You have just had the fun of a new birthday , the excitment of a new job and hey you will get the family permit (trust me i am a rattlesnake :D ) Keep ya chin up and be happy ... if you stay positive , positive things will happen !! .

Well, time for a big update! The fat lady isn't quite singing yet
I will get the lady that lives up the road from me to sing for you , not that i am saying she is fat ... big boned ... BIG BONED !!! . :lol:
I had started to wonder if I am just a bit crazy from all of this.
If you tun out to be crazy , please do not try and blame me . Ok ? :P
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

Trent

Post by Trent » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I've just read your story from start to finish. Tracey I admire your tenacity and I'm appaled at the difficulties you have been subjected to. I've benefited from your diligent research (namely the document you found "on guidance for better transposition and application of Directive 2004/38/EC" for the Member States) as I am sure others have too. How many people in a similar situation would give up not knowing that they were completely within their rights? Thanks to people like you persevering, perhaps this will happen less often. Please continue to keep us posted! This was a fascinating read.

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Trent wrote:I've just read your story from start to finish. Tracey I admire your tenacity and I'm appaled at the difficulties you have been subjected to. I've benefited from your diligent research (namely the document you found "on guidance for better transposition and application of Directive 2004/38/EC" for the Member States) as I am sure others have too. How many people in a similar situation would give up not knowing that they were completely within their rights? Thanks to people like you persevering, perhaps this will happen less often. Please continue to keep us posted! This was a fascinating read.
Did you also check her 1st thread ?

She is the biggest fighter on this site . A heart of courage ! And you know what ? She will get everything she wants because there is no quit in her .

Trent , what does not break us can only make us stronger :wink:
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I wrote nearly a whole update a little earlier today and then hit the wrong key and lost the lot! Grrr....

Anyway, I will start again. A lot has happened so I will try to summarize to keep it brief. Unfortunately, nothing really good to report yet, but we are still fighting....

Rachid returned to the Embassy in Rabat a week after we put in his application for an EEA FP as he was told. After getting an overnight bus, he got a phone call just before he arrived at the Embassy to tell him that they had not completed processing his application as yet and that they would call him when they had.

The job that I was to start in the UK dictated that I go right away and so rather reluctantly, my son and I left for the UK on February 13th, without Rachid.

While in the UK, I heard back from the EU Commission regarding my complaint about Spain and Gibraltar. While not the best outcome, it was very well written and I understood everything that they stated. In regards to Gibraltar, they dismissed it as I am a UK Citizen and although I have pointed out that I was resident in Spain, I also stated that it is not that important to me at this time. In regards to Spain, what they essentially said, I believe, is that had we been married and Rachid therfore had automatic rights, Spain would have been in the wrong in the way they have acted. As unmarried partners however, they have had more liberty to interpret the law and therefore, it is not quite so clear and they have not found them to have been outside of it. They did say that we have the right to ask for the Expulsion Order to be revoked and indicated that this should be granted due to Rachid's relationship to me. They asked me to keep them posted if we decided to request that the Expulsion Order is revoked. I replied to them with an update on what we were doing and pointed out that although I understood what they were saying, I felt that Spain could have been a little more helpful. Not once has anything been issued to us in writing and we have been given no help at all when asking how or where we might revoke the Expulsion Order.

After phoning the Rabat Embassy from the UK a couple of times and having an in-depth conversation with the ECO handling Rachid's EEA FP application, he was finally told to go to the Embassy to collect 'the decision' on Monday March 8th, 5 weeks after the application was submitted. The decision was a refusal, and was written in English with nobody explaining to Rachid the reasons why. I had to wait another full day before Rachid could get back home and have it scanned and sent to me to read through. In addition, none of the original documentation that we had given them was returned to us so it was not a good trip all in all.

Here is the decision from the ECO:

I have refused you EEA FP application on this occasion because I am not satisfied that you meet all of the requirements of Regulation 12 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006. This decision will not prejudice any future UK visa or EEA FP application that you make.

The Entry Clearance Officer's reasons and supporting evidence

You have applied for an EEA FP of a UK national. This relates to section 9 of the Immigration (EEA) Regualtions 2006. I have looked carefully at the regulations and guidelines and I am satisfied that you do not meet the requirements for this for the following reasons. The rules under part 9 state that:
  • The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.

If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK.
The letter submitted by your sponsor clearly states "From January 2009, my partner and I lived in Morocco..." She then goes on to write "In September 2009, I wanted to leave Morocco and put my 5 year old son into a European school.... I was told that my partner would not be able to enter Spain until after the Expulsion order expired.... Based on this information my partner and I decided that perhaps we would look to moving to the UK..... In September 2009, my son and I returned to the UK"

I am satisfied that before your sponsor returned to the UK she was not residing in an EEA Member state and also that you and the sponsor were not living together in an EEA country before your sponsor returned to the UK.

I therefore refuse your application

END

The statement that the ECO refers to was not the statement that I submitted to them with the application, but actually the complaint to the EU Commission that I had included as history of our movements, but further below is the Appeal that we will submit, in person to them tomorrow in Rabat.

The day after, the 9th, I received notice that my father had fallen critically ill and was in the hospital in Malaga but heavily sedated. The following day we were told to come as they didn't think he would make it. One crisis took over from another and I travelled back to Malaga with my son very early on Thursday morning. My brother also flew in from the Emirates where he lives but my father passed away very early on the Thursday morning, before we were able to get there to see him. I was devastated that Rachid was not able to be with me at that time, nor able to come to say goodbye to my father whom he had formed a bond with himself.

On this past Tuesday, I travelled once again to Morocco along with 300 euros from my brother for Rachid and I to marry. We have spent the past few days getting documents together and have most of mine with a translator. This night, we will get another overnight bus to Rabat and visit the UK Embassy to collect my original documents that they did not return, to get the documents from them that I need to marry in Morocco and also to hand deliver the Appeal for the EEA FP refusal for Rachid. Thre are a couple of other places we must then get papers from and then we will hopefully get back to Tetouan to leave the last document to be translated with the translator. At 3pm on Tuesday, we will be able to collect the translated documents and assuming all goes well tomorrow (I assume nothing these days mind...), we will be able to go directly to the family court and sign a marriage contract there.

Once married, We will test out what we have been told by Spain and we will go first to the Spanish Consulate in Tetouan on Wednesday morning to apply for entry for Rachid into Spain, and failing that, will go straight to the Frontera of Ceuta and see what happens.

I have things to sort out for my father in Malaga, and I desperately need to get back to my job in the UK, and my son back to school, although the Easter holidays are coming. None of this do I want to do without my partner however, so I am now just taking things one step at a time.

In the next post is our Appeal for the EEA FP refusal which, incidentally, I forwarded to the EU Commission last week when I responded to them with an update on our situation. I will keep you posted on what happens next.

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Appeal against refusal for EEA Family Permit

We would like to appeal against the decision to refuse an EEA Family Permit to my partner, Rachid **** on the grounds that the reasons stated are unfounded, invalid and not applicable.

I, Tracy ****, the partner of the applicant, have this past week had to return to Spain as my father has just passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. Given the seemingly endless trouble that my partner and I have had to simply be together and that this has been complicated by our unmarried state, we will now marry this week in Morocco and subsequently return to Spain together so that I can handle my father's affairs before returning to the UK. If necessary, we will visit the UK Consulate in Malaga to collect Rachid's EEA Family Permit in his passport but will advise you of our whereabouts as they are known.

Under Directive 2004/38, unmarried partners as family members fall under Article 3 and as such, national authorities have a right to examine the relationship for authenticity and durability. As this was not a reason quoted for the Permit refusal, I have to assume that this condition was satisfied and therefore not something that we need to elaborate on. However, since we will marry this week in Morocco, as my husband, he will then fall under Article 2 of the Directive giving him automatic rights of Free Movement, the same as those I should enjoy myself.

Also under EU Directive 2004/38, as a British Citizen who has previously exercised their Treaty rights in another member state, I am to be treated as an EU Citizen upon my return to the UK for purposes of Free Movement for myself and my family members. I believe that this route was clarified by the EU Case Law ruling of the Surinder Singh case. The Directive is explicit in its guidelines of protecting the family unit and Member States should act in the spirit it lays out. I would like to point out that nowhere in either the Directive, nor the UK's transposition of it does it state that the EU Citizen must be exercising Treaty rights immediately prior to their return, nor that being considered an EU Citizen is time limited, however, in my case, I was as I was resident in Spain and seeking employment. Certainly when my partner and I met and began our relationship, I was resident and working in Spain and therefore exercising Treaty rights.

The second reason given for the refusal was that my partner and I had not lived together in the EEA Member State prior to our application. This actually is not a requirement for me to be treated as an EU Citizen, nor for my partner to be treated as my family member under the Directive, but also, we had indeed lived together in Spain and provided you with both my statement to this and also a rental contract in both our names signed in November 2009. I believe that it is the EU Case Law ruling on the Metock case that clearly outlines that this is not a requirement, however.

The only requirements for application of EU Law in regards to Free Movement to myself and my family members are that I have previously exercised Treaty rights and therefore, upon my return to my home Member State am to be considered as an EU Citizen applying EU Immigration Law as opposed to National Immigration Law; and that as unmarried partners, the relevant National Authority is satisfied that we have an existing and durable relationship. Since our relationship was clearly formed while I was exercising my Treaty rights in Spain, this is exactly the type of situation that the Directive guidelines are in place for so that my family unit is protected. I hardly have Freedom of Movement if my family that was formed while exercising those rights is subsequently not allowed to enter said EU Member State with me.

I would like to clarify my movements as an EU citizen as they apply to my return to the UK and to my family members that I wish to have join me there under EU Law.
  • I left the UK and began my residency in Spain in July 2006. We provided Spanish Certificates of Residency for myself and my son.

Between January 2007 and December 2008, I was working full time managing our family owned bar in Spain. We provided evidence of this business and work, including my tax return for 2007 which was filed in July 2008.

My partner and I met in Spain in early 2008 and began cohabiting, in Spain, in April 2008. We have provided our statement to this and several photographs with friends and family from both Spain and Morocco.

In January 2009, my partner was deported back to his home country of Morocco as he did not have the correct documentation to reside in Spain.

Between January 2009 and February 13th 2010, I commuted between Spain and Morocco to my partner's family home whilst maintaining my Spanish Residency. I never took on residency in Morocco. During this time, I was not working and was self sufficient while still exercising my Treaty rights in another Member State.

For a 4 week period in September 2009, I travelled to the UK with my son to investigate whether we would go there as a family at that time to live – we stayed with a family friend whilst we were there. We decided against making this move and therefore did not apply for an EEA Family Permit for my partner at that time and my son and I returned to Spain.

From October 2009 until January 29th 2010, my son and I were legally resident and physically present at my father's address in Malaga, Spain, other than holidays and weekends when we travelled to Morocco to see my partner, and my son was enrolled in, and attended the local school full time. Both documents detailing this were provided to you, albeit in Spanish. I was actively seeking employment in Spain during this time but was not successful.

In January 2010, my family asked that I return to the UK to manage my Mother's business there. If I am successful in this position, it will ultimately provide work for both myself and my partner and a comfortable living for us as a family. Given that I had been unable to secure employment in Spain and comfortable in my knowledge of EU Law on Free Movement and how it should apply to me and my family members, my partner and I decided to accept this new direction and applied for the EEA Family Permit while I wrapped up my affairs in Malaga and travelled to Morocco to await the issue of such with my partner and son.
I feel that the reasons given in the refusal notice quoted out of context excerpts of my earlier statement of complaint about Spain and Gibraltar to the EU Commission and seemingly overlooked my statement to the UK ECO in regards to the application for an EEA Family Permit. My statement to the EU Commission was only provided to you for supporting evidence of our durable relationship and to provide some history. We are so disappointed that this negative decision took 5 weeks to reach causing us only more financial and emotional stress.

As I had informed the ECO on the telephone, In February, I had to travel without my partner to the UK as the job that I now have with my family's business dictated an urgent return; in addition, I have a child of school age and it was necessary to get him into school as I had removed him from his school in Malaga, Spain in preparation for our return to the UK. I assumed that my partner would soon follow me and be able to offer me the help and support that partners do. It has been a struggle without him.

I ask you to please review this refusal for Entry Clearance for my partner as quickly as possible and issue him with an EEA Family Permit so he can come back to the UK with me. Due to both this refusal, and my father's death, I have left the UK once again and I am reluctant to return without my partner and spend any more time separated than we already have. I have a new job that I need to get back to, and my son should be in school but without my partner, I am forced into a life as a working single parent managing a new job and not knowing when we can resume our normal family life again. It's not fair.

Please be advised that my partner, Rachid ****, hereby gives written authorisation for his application and case details to be discussed with me, Tracy ****. We were under the impression that this authorisation had already been given.[/list]

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

As I read this, you haven't lived in a 'durable relationship' with your partner 'duly attested' have you - ie not for 24 months with the UK HO have decided is the level of the bar?

And if u marry you can't live in Spain together for any period unless the explusion order can be lifted?

If I've read this right I can't see how an EEA FP is the correct application to make, for me if u plan to return to UK the easiest, cleanest and quickest way would be by UK immigration rules, via spouse visa.

Apologies if i've read it wrong tho - it's a fair old novella you've written!

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:20 pm

The thing is that the UK didn't write EU Law, they have only transposed it with their own interpretations but ultimately, they must abide by it. It is a well known fact that they have not transposed correctly regarding 3rd country Family Members and also that they do not treat their own nationals fairly.

In my mind, and yes, it remains to be seen whether I am right or not :roll: , there are only 2 issues at hand here. The first is do my partner and I have a durable ralationship, and the second is am I to be treated as an EU/EEA Citizen.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we have a durable relationship. Cohabitation forms a part of that but is not a requirement. The UK asks for 2 years but the EU does not; in either case, they must look at the individual curcumstances of each case. I don't believe this to be an issue and when we marry this week after almost 2 years of our relationship under our belt, nobody could possibly argue that we are not in it for the long haul. (but wait, cos we haven't actually managed to achieve that yet... lol :? )

Am I to be considered an EU Citizen and therefore EU Immigration rules applied to me, no matter where I want to go, even if it is to return to my home country? Well, I think this is the sticky point with the UK but it shouldn't be, and I think that the EU Commission will agree with me on this one. Once it is confirmed that I am indeed an EU Citizen, there cannot be a separate set of rules to apply to me because I am British. There is either immigration under UK National rules, or under EEA rules.

As for the reason that we have not lived together in the EEA Member State, well, we did, and have proof of such, albeit some time ago now. However, our relationship has not ended since that time and regardless, the EU courts have already stated that it is NOT to be used as a requirement in any case so the UK is naughty for still trying to include it in theirs.

The ECO that I spoke to actually asked me why we hadn't applied under the UK Immigration rules. I told her that A: We don't have to and EU rules are much more favourable; and B: We don't have the financial resources to do so, nor the inclination to continue to wait to be together any longer.

I guess we shall see. We have options open to us although it would be nice to just have things go smoothly for once. The bottom line is that I wont tolerate being separated from my partner any longer and if the UK wont give in on this one, we will have to move back to Spain. I just think that it is wrong that I have to think along these lines when there are routes already in place to allow freedom of movement...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 pm

I think u r arguing that you should be entitled to use EEA rules irrespective of having exercised a treaty right? I think your flogging a dead horse with this one, the EEA rules are there to faciltate those who cannot use their own immigration rules (because they live abroad) and/or cannot use local laws (because they are not citizens of that state). Thats the basic tenet, IMHO.

Imagine if we could all pick and chose, the UKBA would get no pennies then, as would the local immigration offices of all member states. Not gonna happen.

EU law has been transposed into UK law, in accordance with local law as the directive dictates. UK local law says 24 months cohab, therefore that is transcribed. Same with Germany, they have no facilty for German citizens to import their unmarried partners so neither does the EEA citizen living there under a treaty right. I'm sure there are many others examples.

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Wanderer wrote:I think u r arguing that you should be entitled to use EEA rules irrespective of having exercised a treaty right? I think your flogging a dead horse with this one, the EEA rules are there to faciltate those who cannot use their own immigration rules (because they live abroad) and/or cannot use local laws (because they are not citizens of that state). Thats the basic tenet, IMHO.

Imagine if we could all pick and chose, the UKBA would get no pennies then, as would the local immigration offices of all member states. Not gonna happen.

EU law has been transposed into UK law, in accordance with local law as the directive dictates. UK local law says 24 months cohab, therefore that is transcribed. Same with Germany, they have no facilty for German citizens to import their unmarried partners so neither does the EEA citizen living there under a treaty right. I'm sure there are many others examples.
I think we have tossed this one about before.... In your example, you are incorrect. Germany is acting outside of the law that they must comply with. They dont have to allow unmarried partners in under National Law, but they must under EU Law. Plain and simple.

In my case, I left the UK nearly 4 years ago and lived and worked and paid taxes and social security in Spain until just over a year ago. Most recently, between October 09 and February 10, I was living in Malaga, my son enrolled in school full time and seeking employment. If that isn't exercising my treaty rights, then what is? Moreover, during this time, I met my partner who I will now marry. Now I want to return to the UK and it is my right to be re-enter under EU immigration Law as I am undisputedly an EU Citizen who has previously exercised EU Treaty rights.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:23 pm

[quote="TracyCKI think we have tossed this one about before.... In your example, you are incorrect. Germany is acting outside of the law that they must comply with. They dont have to allow unmarried partners in under National Law, but they must under EU Law. Plain and simple.
[/quote]

We'll have to agree to disagree then, cos for me the key phrase is '..in accordance with local law' and if the local law ain't there.........

And the directive (don't have the actual quote) has an obligation on implemetation locally not to put it's own citizens at a disadvantage, as per the German example. Under your view Herr Kristov can't bring his unmarried American Wife to Germany, but Mr Jones from Birmingham working there on the next desk to Herr Kristov can. Is that fair?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Tracy i think this is an important area of law that you have brought up.
The Uk insist that your partner is resident in the EEA state in which you were living, but this does not apply to other national who exercise treaty rights in the UK. As you have a right under article 18 and Article 39 to return to the UK, after having exercised your right of free movement, you are covered by article 12 of the treaty, which strictly prohibit any discrimination on ground of nationality, between two comparable situations.

Therefore this point is applicable.

In accordance with national law is meant to be, the circumstance of the people should be assessed under national legislation, and not the right to have an entry and residence processed.

There is an obligation for national authority to facilitate entry and residence, in accordance with set criteria under the national legislation.

The national legislation is only meant to set criteria they are suppose to meet to be considered, and not to decide whether or not to facilitate entry and residence, as this is secured under community law.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Time for an update...

2 days ago, after more than 3 weeks of running around getting documents together and waiting for them to be approved, Rachid and I finally got married here in Morocco. (Yay!)

Our Marriage Certificate is being translated into Spanish and we will collect it on Monday morning.

I now have to urgently return to my job in the UK since I left it a month ago and I am no longer willing to leave my partner behind at all, nor do I have the time or the finances to visit far away consulates and wait for them to get it right and issue him with a Visa. The appeal that we submitted to the UK Embassy in Rabat is apparently still with the ECM there, but I actually think that we fare a better chance arguing our case at the borders now, rather that with the consulates.

So, on Monday, we will once again try to enter Spain at the Ceuta border with just our passports and Marriage Certificate and knowledge of the Directive. Assuming that is successful, we then plan to drive to Calais and get the ferry across to the UK where I intend to insist on us being allowed to enter together under the Surinder Singh ruling.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Congratulations Tracy on your marriage.
I am still interested in your journey to be allowed to stay in the UK together, so keep us informed.
Keep up the good fight

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:17 pm

TracyCK wrote:we then plan to drive to Calais and get the ferry across to the UK where I intend to insist on us being allowed to enter together under the Surinder Singh ruling.
Would you not just enter the UK on your Spanish passport and save yourself the grief?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.